Was a good couple of years...back to being lonely I guess...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

58 Voyager

Reaction score
Posted my lonely life a few years back in another thread...look it up if you want.

Backstory is this. Marriage ended many years back, over, done, amen. Dated and dated till I met someone almost 3 years ago. After many of the incompatible single ladies I met, this lady and I clicked from the first coffee. No one, not even ex wife of a couple of decades, ever made me feel so relaxed and happy...I knew this was the woman I wanted to be with until my last breath.

There was one fly in the ointment. At the time, she had an 11 year old son. My kids, the only people I have in this world, are in their 20's and the thought of being a dad again scared me if not turned me off. I did my parenting, I raised my kids, who never gave me any serious grief while growing up, and I didn't want to go back in time.

But I met her son and he seemed like a nice kid, a bit quiet, shy, and introverted like his mom. Hey, not everyone seeks a Kardashian or J-Lo, right?
The girlfriend assured me all I had to be was his buddy, as he has a dad, and for me to leave the parenting to them. He never spoke much, and always seemed to be sleeping. When awake, he was quiet, and while sitting, his posture was slightly bent over, arms around himself as if hugging himself.

Fair enough. So now I was in this boys life, seeing him once or twice a month. Took him along on the trips his mom and I would go on, and everything was going good. Over a year ago, the girlfriend and I got engaged and were waiting to put our ducks in a row before committing to the next phase in our lives. That divorce thing seemed to be taking a bit longer than it should. But, I am so lonely and desperate for human company in my life, I was content to see her every weekend and let her divorce play out.

4 months ago, the boy started high school, and almost immediately got in with the drugs. For Christmas, his dad, a 300 lb redneck with the truck and 4 wheeler and camo clothing, and into some serious drugs, gave the boy a digital vape unit. A few weeks ago girlfriend and I went back to her place and found 7 boys, grade 9 - 11, smoking pot. I don't mean a couple of joints. There was a freezer baggie full of the stuff. My guess is the older kids get the younger ones hooked and indebted, then force them to sell the weed to younger kids to payoff their debt.
I never did drugs and neither did my kids or ex, and it's a world/life style I know nothing about and am not comfortable with.

The girlfriend is passive, meek, and is not capable of disciplining the boy. His dad doesn't give a crap. I am in no position to do anything, nor do I want to. My fear is that sooner or later, with such quantities of pot being brought into the house, the police will show up and if I'm there, I'll be arrested for not doing anything, along with my girlfriend. I already told her I would not be spending weekends with her. (We live 55 miles apart).

My worry is, I fear after nearly 3 years, I will lose this amazing woman with whom I have, for the first time in my life, made an amazing connection with. I too am a nerd and unfamiliar with the drug culture.

Girlfriend, at my insistence, has started to see local counselling but I don't think it's going to get anywhere. She was with me last weekend and as I predicted, the boy lied to his dad, said he was staying with a friend, and broke into her house and smoked up with his buddies. She takes his keys away when he is with dad. They live in the same town and share custody. But primary residence is with dad.
She rents a house and another fear is she will get evicted once word gets out. I fear stuff will start to disappear from her house, electronics and jewelry and whatever is not bolted down. No way do I want her son in my house now, because I have too many things of value I collected over the years I don't want ending up in a pawn shop for drug money.

I don't know what to do. I'm head over heels with this woman, who is that one person many of us spend an entire lifetime seeking. I fear as her son, who turned 14 in the fall, will only spiral down and drag her down as well, and it will end this relationship. I cannot, will not, risk and sacrifice what I built up over 57 years, only to get busted for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

When I proposed to her, something like this wasn't even on the radar. This drug thing is beyond my comfort zone. At times, it feels like putting a 6 year old at the controls of a 747 that is spiraling down and asking him to save the plane and passengers.

Been diagnosed with PTSD and BPD, took Emotional Regulation therapy, and at best of times, am hanging on to normality by a thin thread. This is sooooooooooooo beyond anything I'm experienced in, or know how to deal with, that I fear I will do what I always do, implode, run away and hide....

Life sucks.

This is the problem facing some of us at our age. After divorce or a very long relationship is over, the dating pool when we get back in it seems to be flawed for the lack of a better word. All of us (me and you included) have past issues that come up to present hurdles to the ones we date. No matter whom we seek, the ladies also seem to have problems.

The child is probably not going to get over it or stop using if his father condones or is silent about it. Pandora's box has been opened and it takes a united front to close the lid once that is let in.

If you have problems with it now and still have some energy reserves then imagine years later when it wears everyone done to a nub.

Risk to reward is not worth it. The key is that you do not want to raise children again. Other ladies out there they are good matches that do not have kids or do have ones grown up like you.

I am sorry to be so blunt but I went through a year of fighting a situation like that before it all blew up.

Good fortune

I myself smoke weed, Ill be open about it. And I do so because I spent one night too many with a blade at my throat by my own hand due to feeling so empty that nothing else mattered. To be blunt, be thankful it is something so benign. They've got a college for education of the substance as it becomes more widely accepted as both a medicine and a business as well. However I am not condoning the use of it. He is 14 and if he is anything like his mother then he was likely lonely and those are the only friends who hang out with him. You fear him, his father doesnt sound like he cares and his mother wont take a stance. Who else is he going to turn to but frends his age regardless of what kind of influence they are? Its not addictive, if it is at all it is habitual, not physical. So he shouldnt be stealing anything unless its a cry for attention. He sounds like he needs a buddy, a good friend. Which includes someone who will tell him when he is screwing up. Thats not a parenting thing. Thats a friend thing. Im sure the child has issues himself. Do we like feeling lonely? No. Thats why we are who we are.

Brother, with all due respect, you desperately need to become a leykis 101 student.
Do yourself a huge favor & youtube Tom Leykis.

Thomas Joseph "Tom" Leykis is an American talk radio personality best known for hosting The Tom Leykis Show from 1994 to 2009 (nationally syndicated), and April 2012 to the present (internet streamcast/podcast). [...] The show's best-known feature is "Leykis 101", in which he purports to teach men "how to get laid" while spending the least amount of time, money, and effort.

I am not entirely sure how this is helpful to the OP...

He's started early, no denying that, but this might just be a phase. If it gets to a point where he's really out of control, then rehab might be the best option for him.

I know this is a difficult situation for you but second chances are a rare enough thing. If you walk away from this woman you may regret it for the rest of your life. Hang in there.

Rodent said:
Thomas Joseph "Tom" Leykis is an American talk radio personality best known for hosting The Tom Leykis Show from 1994 to 2009 (nationally syndicated), and April 2012 to the present (internet streamcast/podcast). [...] The show's best-known feature is "Leykis 101", in which he purports to teach men "how to get laid" while spending the least amount of time, money, and effort.

I am not entirely sure how this is helpful to the OP...

Are you a leykis listener? Or are you basing your opinion on that quote?

I_still_believe said:

That quote and the rest of the Wikipedia article, describing his life, his lessons and their main demographic (which is young guys). I don't think the OP falls into this group neither do I believe he is interested in extensive dating.

Rodent said:
I_still_believe said:

That quote and the rest of the Wikipedia article, describing his life, his lessons and their main demographic (which is young guys). I don't think the OP falls into this group neither do I believe he is interested in extensive dating.

True, but Just because younger men are the "main" demographic, doesn't mean men & women of all ages can't apply Tom's perspectives(s) and advice...

I've been a listener for over 20 years. In those 20 years, I've witnessed Tom help many men, and women of all ages, including myself.
There's a lot of Tom's videos on Youtube. If you're ever bored, or curious, you should give it a listen & see there's more than meets the eye.

My apologies if there's grammatical errors & such. English isn't my first language.

I_still_believe said:
True, but Just because younger men are the "main" demographic, doesn't mean men & women of all ages can't apply Tom's perspectives(s) and advice...

I've been a listener for over 20 years. In those 20 years, I've witnessed Tom help many men, and women of all ages, including myself.
There's a lot of Tom's videos on Youtube. If you're ever bored, or curious, you should give it a listen & see there's more than meets the eye.

My apologies if there's grammatical errors & such. English isn't my first language.

I listened to the first 15 minutes of one of his shows...I think I can estimate it's not for me. I'll leave the OP to judging if it's any use to him - in case he returns to read the replies.

(Not a native speaker either.)

Latest posts

Back