Watch your language.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Games

Reaction score
Ok please take this with a pinch of salt.Its just a bit of light hearted language discussion.

Many years ago I sat in between two professors at a up market university and listened for a long time to a conversation about architectural history and literature.I couldn't understand a bloody word they said till one turned to me and said did I have any views about such and such which they had been discussing at length just after I had zoned out thinking I wonder when we are having lunch.Excitedly I said yes my grandfather wrote a book about that and shocked the younger Prof said his wife had too.So I started to explain the guts of my grandfather's book when bless him he cut me off turned back to my friendly Prof that I had lifted there and carried on discussing more highbrow stuff .

Two of my closest have classic office voices sprinkled with examples of the well coitured🤔 language totally different to there homely spicey language that occurs more often than not. This makes me crack up when they pick up the mobile to people at work .

I've been here a while let's get that clear. Today it has occurred to me that over the years there has been a bit of a nod towards the complicated language that makes me think should I hit the dictionary, try and work out what the sentence such and such has just regailed the forum with but fail dismally to understand anyway.

What do you think when it comes to your use of language on the forum?Do you speak like this when amongst friends in real life?Do you revert from one language to another simplified version from forum to real life amongst family .Just for a bit of fun hit us with your most complicated sentence or paragraph then say it how you would irl if any different.

People irl say I sound like a cockney..what have people said about you 🙂

I'm a cockney by birth and have the broadest east end accent ever but I get asked ' are you an Australian ' all the time even in the east end?!?

There isn't much difference between how I talk on here, and how I talk offline, except that here I might curse more, because I tend to talk about things that bother me here.

The story about you and the professors sounds funny though. And I want to hear how you talk now!

Yeah I've been thinking about that. I saw something you said earlier today about it being down though, or having a glitch? Is it functional now though?

Not down...dead. No one wants to talk because no one talks, but no one is going to talk if people don't talk. lol (or type)

But, as for the post you're talking about. Some people have trouble getting in, others have no issues. Not sure what's going on.

Today I referred to the chilly cold wind as "it's taters out here today".Also indicated that today's work was"bread and butter to me".I can change my use of language as befits the customer that day.I have a Rover V6 motor by the way son and it goes like the clappers🙂.I was dragged up in a middle class family..how about you Ska fish.

Almost the same. I don't use smiles irl, but I can say "lol" though(except the fact I mostly speak not English irl))
I don't(at least try not to) use some terms if I think people don't know them.

Almost the same. I don't use smiles irl, but I can say "lol" though(except the fact I mostly speak not English irl))
I don't(at least try not to) use some terms if I think people don't know them.
That's good 4No1.So you can modify your language depending on who you're talking to.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't have any phrases like that...but your thread makes me think I should get some, haha. It makes you sound like a colorful character.

I googled "Rover V6" but all that came up was the motor itself, not the car. What model do you have, and what color?

Me, I guess you could say, I grew up neither here nor there. We had the middle-class emphasis on education, so I guess you could say that's what I identify with, culturally. But unfortunately we didn't seem to have the middle-class money. So while I'd be familiar with the norms, and know how that life works in theory, in practice I couldn't actually do it, so I didn't really fit in. I got the benefits of living in a safe neighborhood and getting an education, but I couldn't actually live the lifestyle I saw others living around me. But I wouldn't really say I'm working-class either because I didn't grow up in the culture. I guess you could say not knowing where I fit in has been a major theme in my life.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't have any phrases like that...but your thread makes me think I should get some, haha. It makes you sound like a colorful character.

I googled "Rover V6" but all that came up was the motor itself, not the car. What model do you have, and what color?

Me, I guess you could say, I grew up neither here nor there. We had the middle-class emphasis on education, so I guess you could say that's what I identify with, culturally. But unfortunately we didn't seem to have the middle-class money. So while I'd be familiar with the norms, and know how that life works in theory, in practice I couldn't actually do it, so I didn't really fit in. I got the benefits of living in a safe neighborhood and getting an education, but I couldn't actually live the lifestyle I saw others living around me. But I wouldn't really say I'm working-class either because I didn't grow up in the culture. I guess you could say not knowing where I fit in has been a major theme in my life.
Rover 75 connoisseur. Just to confuse the issue. Would you say your upper working or lower middle class?

What is your ride Skafish..or even your favorite car you have owned in the past for the sake of anonymity?

Last edited:
@Just Games I'd say lower middle class I guess, just because of the emphasis growing up on going to college rather than trades/apprenticeship, or the military. And that this is largely a white-collar town, although, like I said, I just lived in the neighborhood. I didn't really live the same lifestyle as other people around here.

I checked out the Rover - looks very sharp, indeed.

As for me, this was my car:

https://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2000-mustang_gt/1024x768/wallpaper_03.htm
^pretty much exactly like that one. It's the only car I've ever owned. Someday I'd like to get into an SVT or Shelby model, that's the dream. I like all the generations so I'm not too partial.

Last edited:
I swear like a drunken sailor and since my main language is french, but a broken dialect of a local Montreal French, I'm sure very little Frenchmen would understand me.
I like it. I'm somewhat mysterious 😎

People born in the same city as I was born in sometimes ask me where my accent is from, which is a very confusing situation to be in.

Years ago, I left a message on a girlfriend's answering machine (remember those?) and my girlfriend's roommate asked my girlfriend if she knew someone with an accent, because she apparently couldn't understand a word I had said.

I consume a lot of British TV and I catch myself using UK expressions at times. People find the term "bloody" very amusing, such as "this bloody thing won't turn on" or "that bloody squirrel is back!" It's probably funny because it carries no weight in the US. I'm not sure if it still does in the UK, either, but it used to. One of the Ian Fleming James Bond books includes a passage where the narrator says "he wasn't used to him using strong words like 'bloody.'"

I have no idea if I speak like I type. Mostly likely my typing voice differs greatly from my speaking voice. I don't know.

People born in the same city as I was born in sometimes ask me where my accent is from, which is a very confusing situation to be in.

Years ago, I left a message on a girlfriend's answering machine (remember those?) and my girlfriend's roommate asked my girlfriend if she knew someone with an accent, because she apparently couldn't understand a word I had said.

I consume a lot of British TV and I catch myself using UK expressions at times. People find the term "bloody" very amusing, such as "this bloody thing won't turn on" or "that bloody squirrel is back!" It's probably funny because it carries no weight in the US. I'm not sure if it still does in the UK, either, but it used to. One of the Ian Fleming James Bond books includes a passage where the narrator says "he wasn't used to him using strong words like 'bloody.'"

I have no idea if I speak like I type. Mostly likely my typing voice differs greatly from my speaking voice. I don't know.
I am terribly bloody English. Like you, frequently I asked where I come from. My accent does not fit in. In sound posh. Refuse to use local slang and regional diction.

This is due to a couple of factors. Firstly and most fundamental, my significant hearing loss. The world has always sounded different to me. That aside, my family went to good schools, in better areas. And finally, I have never aspired to fit in, especially with local laziness and mannerisms.

*For the curious wanting to know how the locals sound, YouTube search Harry Enfield Scousers.

Latest posts

Back