West Coast Road Trip Copilot? Anyone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orthochromatic

Reaction score
I am going to take a slow and lazy road trip from San Diego CA to the Olympic Peninsula (Port Angeles, WA) at the end of May/ beginning of June in a vintage VW bug. The passenger seat is empty if someone wants to kick in some gas money (and of course pay for your own food and lodging/camping when needed). There will also be a dog-like manx "Hippie"cat on a harness and leash that will be coming along.

The car was completely rebuilt / customized a few years ago with over 10k of work and it is only a two seater (meaning it shouldn't break down any more so than a modern car, and there is only one available seat besides my own). I also will not and can not move up my departure date to suit your schedule.

I plan to slowly wander up 1 & 101, stopping to take pictures with old film cameras and maybe break out the sleeping bag and "car camp" a couple times along the way. I plan to stop near SF (north bay area) and visit some friends for a day or two, maybe or maybe not stop to visit an old friend in central Oregon and then up to Port Angeles. I figure the trip will be about a week give or take a day or two since there will be no deadlines.

I am also open to just meeting people in person along the way. If you are in my path and want to grab a cup of coffee as I wander through - let me know.

Once I get up there I will be staying for a few months, so it is a one way journey. We would have to part ways somewhere during the trip or in Port Angeles after we arrive.

I am a pretty laid back guy in my 40's that enjoys nature, old rock & roll (60's and up), don't care for rap or hip hop. My friends call me a "Conservative Hippie". I don't drink or smoke cigarettes, and there is no smoking in the car. I do like a nice cigar once in a while though :) It would be nice to meet and hang out with any potential passenger a couple times between now and then if you are local to me - make sure you are not sizing me up for a Hannibal Lectar recipe or wearing a tin foil hat (I am sure you would want to do the same).

I don't care if you are a guy or gal - this is just a friendly road trip, but keep the nature of the vehicle in mind - it is a 40+ yr old bug. So probably not a good or fun trip for you if you are very tall, very wide, or a very overweight person. There isn't a lot of extra cargo room either - there will be room for you to bring a pack and reasonably sized suitcase / bag.

Drop me a line if you might be interested.

I wish I could. That's a sweet bug you've got, if that was it in the picture you posted the other day. I have fond memories of my friend's VW bug, also light blue.

Have fun. :)

Yeah, everyone I actually know would love to go but has obligations, hence the craigslist and forum posts. That was the bug in question, I have never put so much energy, money, & blood in one of my VW projects before. Figure I have to keep this one until death. I thought about blue, but stuck with the white & black trying to get that late 60's club racer look.

2v2gtpy.jpg

4pdue.jpg

Actually I was thinking about a Canada trip next year. I plan to spend this fall and winter rebuilding another old VW bus. After it is complete I wanted to head up to Alaska and visit my crazy hippie auntie that went up there and homesteaded in the late 60's, then drive across Canada (stopping at the town they filmed Corner Gas in of course) and then down the U.S. east coast to visit family and friends in the Chesapeake Bay area.

And thanks, Maybe not the best in the world, but it's a lot of fun to drive around every day.

Wow that sounds like fun. Wish you were doing it later in June. I'll be flying out to Seattle, but I could always fly out to CA first. I LOVE the coastal route, and I have a fantasy of doing the same thing, except in a mini cooper.

You have a manx cat that is leash trained. That officially makes you the coolest person I know.

Latest posts

Back