What’s the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The nicest thing anyone has ever done for me was wait for me after all my auditions for hours in the car, and for all the photoshoots and always listened to me… the nicest thing anyone has done for me was adopt me and give me their time, attention and care 😇

Maybe my family putting up with me.

I can't really think of any specific instance of a nicety though. There are plenty to point to; but, nothing that stands towering above the rest...

I'm sure my good experiences outnumber my memory, but here's one that comes to mind.

While on a military base for my annual week of police in-service training, I had a coworker come into the bar after hours and tell me that the front gate guards were holding a guest there for me. I couldn't imagine who or why, but when I got out there, I found my girlfriend smiling big at me. I couldn't believe it; she'd driven 14 hours just to see me for a short time.

I wouldn't call it the nicest thing, but this one stayed with me.
Couple of years ago. I was depressed. No one knew it at the time, but life was weighing me down. I was seriously considering killing myself. I was sitting at a pew in a chirch, wondering why I was stupid enough to be there and wondering if I would spontaneously combust in God's presence, which I didn't feel anyway.
There was a black dude. He was actually on one knee in the middle of the aisle praying, which struck me as peculiar. He finishes, walks by, stops next to me. Looks at me straight in the eyes, puts a hand on my shoulder and says "Everything is going to be alright, brother". Then leaves.
I cried a bit, by myself. But he have me the strenght to hold on. That always struck me as probably the closest thing to an act of God I'll ever see.

A mate invited me out to drinks with him and his friends for my 40th birthday. I was feeling miserable and didn't want to think about, but it made me feel somewhat better.

Of course, the same guy has turned into a old man himself who refuses to get out of his comfort zone, only wanting to drink at bars.

When I was 21 I was driving home from drinking and seeing a working girl in Manhattan.
It was early June and I had just graduated college, but still did not have a job and I was rather distressed over that (I got one in July).
It was around 3 AM i the Bronx and I was so drunk I didn't realize I ran 2 red lights.
UNTIL a cop car put on the lights and siren and pulled me over.
I tried to talk my way out of the ticket (didn't work) and I even got out of my car and ended up falling on their hood.
They knew I was smashed. But they let me go anyway, as I was not that far from home, and I suppose because I was respectful to them.
Had I got a DUI, I am sure it would have messed me up job wise.
So yeah, was really nice of them to let me go.
I did lose my license for 30 days after the tickets were processed...

When I was 21 I was driving home from drinking and seeing a working girl in Manhattan.
It was early June and I had just graduated college, but still did not have a job and I was rather distressed over that (I got one in July).
It was around 3 AM i the Bronx and I was so drunk I didn't realize I ran 2 red lights.
UNTIL a cop car put on the lights and siren and pulled me over.
I tried to talk my way out of the ticket (didn't work) and I even got out of my car and ended up falling on their hood.
They knew I was smashed. But they let me go anyway, as I was not that far from home, and I suppose because I was respectful to them.
Had I got a DUI, I am sure it would have messed me up job wise.
So yeah, was really nice of them to let me go.
I did lose my license for 30 days after the tickets were processed...

Yikes...sounds like a close call.

Obviously I don't know New York better than someone who lives there, but isn't the Bronx a dicey area too?
Especially at that point in history?

Last edited:
Yikes...sounds like a close call.

Obviously I don't know New York better than someone who lives there, but isn't the Bronx a dicey area too?
Especially at that point in history?
It was in the Riverdale area near Manhattan College. I was driving up Broadway.
It's always been OK there.

I was very lucky I didn't hurt anyone. Or myself.
I haven't driven drunk in a very long time, thank goodness.

A while ago while still in hospital after a serious operation I started to regain enough strength for me and my drip stand plus an array of medical bags to walk slowly to the day room.

As I walked in a patient got up off a comfy chair and said for me to sit there. As I was out of puff I was just so pleased to be able to sit down. Naturally I thanked the lady very much. It was a reclining chair.

Within seconds I then noted there were only two chairs similar, the other was being used. The other patients including the lady were sat on hard chairs. I filled up when all started to dawn on me.

I later phoned a friend who I knew would be visiting me later in the day to ask can she bring in a fruit basket. But sadly I never saw that lady again all through my stay, so more than likely she had been discharged soon after leaving the day room that day.

Such kindness has stayed with me for always.

Latest posts

Back