What a Way to Get Rejected

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesy80s

Reaction score
Sooo...as a journalist, it's not often I get a vacation. And when I do, it's gotta be cheap, one due to an already low salary and two because I do have child support that crimps into what I earn (not that I'm complaining; there's nothing more I'd rather spend money on than my sons).

When a friend told me he is gathering a bunch of people together and renting a lake house for the week, and to join would only be $250 per person, I was in with bells on. Why not? A relaxing week where I could bike, stroll, and catch up on some reading that doesn't involve Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton.

The house is a beautiful manse directly on a boating dock on South Lake Tahoe with 10 bedrooms. Well okay, seven bedrooms, but mine along with others are "staff quarters," if this gives you an idea of the type of house. So, that's nine singles and a married couple. The married couple are lifelong friends--both went to my high school, and we've been close since. They love trapping a bunch of 40-something singles for a week in a place like this to see who hooks up. They even go out of their way to split the invitees between men and women.

But yes, if you do the math, you can see there's an odd man out. It's not been stated, but I am the token odd man out. That's because I'm overweight. Maybe not grossly, but enough so I tend to have to hike up my pants while I walk on occasion, can't run very much without getting winded, and would rather have my fingernails pulled off by a Mossad interrogator than take my shirt off to go swimming.

So, yeah, I understood my place in the pecking order early on, and I honestly didn't mind. As I said, I rarely get vacations--at least ones that don't include me having the boys at my apartment--and especially ones where I'll probably spend less than $1,000 for a week.

As you can imagine, it's a booze-fueled week with lots of laughing, story telling, frolicking, and for many, sex. I knew a couple of the other people on the trip already--a fellow reporter who is normally imbedded with a US Army unit but is about to be reassigned--and a twice divorced lady who is kind of a known name in various Broadway performances. So, you have a lot of creative, diverse people that lead to a lot of compelling talks and late nights.

By Monday, I was having the time of my life--even without swimming.

So, it was a surprise when the Broadway diva's friend (let's name her Carol) started to flirt with me. And flirt with me hard. It began Monday evening as we were walking home from a nearby pub, talking as the sun dwindled behind the treeline, the lake's perfume wafted across the lane and the ciccadas were singing their chorus. She joked, "I really could use a piggy back ride!" She then turned to me, grinned and asked, "You game?"

"Sure! Why not? Better than Uber."

By then, most of the singles had, indeed, hooked up. We were also less one guy (my coworker I mentioned earlier, who stayed behind at the pub chatting up a young journalism-wannabe and probably wouldn't come back until the morning). So in some ways, I was the only one she could request a piggy back ride on without pissing off other paramours. Still, as she nested on my back, I swear I could feel her hips undulate against me, rubbing herself in a way that was nearly inperceptible except that I had grasped her thighs.

The night went on much like that. She sat next to me, making all the cues that expressed interest--laughing at my stupid jokes or war stories, patting my arm or touching me occassionally. I may be ugly, but I'm no dummy as to flirting.

On Tuesday, I was on for cooking duty. Being a South Carolina native, I can make a mean Low Country boil. I decided to bike to the local seafood market, and to my surprise, she joined me. We chatted about this and that, but nothing too deep. Just an enjoyable conversation that never seemed to tire or find a lack of things to say. Sure, there was a real chance that I was simply being "Friendzoned," as you youngins like to say, but it sure didn't feel like it.

She helped me prepare the stock pot, prep the seafood, sausage and corn and potatoes, asked me probing questions to my recipe since her family apparently had their own secreet sauce as well. By dinner, sitting next to one another, and after a few drinks, she was leaning against me and actively toying her foot and thighs against mine. These were not friendly caresses either. By now, all I was considering was how to segway between our guests and the bedroom with her.

After dinner, I plodded to the kitchen to fix another batch of my appletinis, so I was out of earshot, or at least to her I was. I could hear her chatting with her friend, who was calling her on her flirtations with me.

"He's a great guy. You should totally spend the night in his room, girl."

"What? I'd never sleep with that tub of lard!"

To saw the air suddenly chilled with discomfort was an understatement. I know she caught her friend and the others off guard. And certainly everyone tried to play it off when I reentered the kitchen, assuming I never heard a thing.

But I did. I heard every stinging, confusing word. Needless to say, her demeanor toward me made a complete 180 for the rest of the trip. She eventually hooked up with some guy she met at the pub.

For the remainder of the trip, I began to enjoy the things I originally intended: I read three books, spent a lot of time at a great little coffeehouse nearby during the mornings and afternoons, and even caught up on some sleep, purposefully ignoring political news until I left Sunday afternoon.

Look, being fat, I have to expect this. I get it. I really do. I wouldn't want to be seen with me either. I was lucky once, and got three great kids out of that. They are my life, outside of my career. I guess what's most painful about this incident is that for one brief, shining moment, I thought I found something again. A connection, both intimate and sexual. I mean, I wasn't imagining church bells and rings, but I remembered again how nice it was to have someone, to feel those early sparks of a budding love.

I guess I was wrong? I was played the fool? Well, whatever. I'm a total loser anyway, so the end result really comes as no shock.

No, you're not a total loser. You're far from it.

This is probably one of the most close to home stories I have read on here because this has happened to me.

I wish you would have walked back in that room and told that woman you heard her. I would have loved to have seen how she tried to explain her way out of that one.

The problem here was not you. It was an insensitive woman who probably thought she was so much better than. Maybe she was attractive but when she said that about you she showed everyone how unattractive she is in the inside and I would venture a guess that the opinions that those others had of her changed as soon as she made that hurtful comment.

You did nothing wrong. You're not a loser.

That is incredibly, ridiculously rude of her. Even if she wasn't attracted to you, she did not have to say that. It's okay to not be attracted to someone. Flirting is even okay. But to say something like that is completely uncalled for. And you know what, if she wasn't attracted to you in the least bit, then perhaps she should have shut her mouth from the start and not flirt with people that she doesn't particularly care for.

That was all her though. Don't think it was you. Because I know personally, I don't care what someone looks like. But I do care if someone has a nasty, malicious attitude for no real reason. Fat, tall, short, skinny... All of that just makes for a fun party. Someone having a nasty attitude about something like that as she did? You can't have fun with that. It's not you, believe me. You wouldn't want to deal with that anyway. Very few people would.

Get you interested, then make it clear to everyone just how beneath her standards you are.

I suspect her "interest" was motivated by narcissism, then once she received the validation you were no longer useful except as a source of derision.

^ That. It seems most people NEED external validation these days. Hence... Facebook.

To the OP: you dodged a bullet. You're going to meet useless people... it's an unfortunate part of life.

What a ridiculous ***** of a woman! I fail to understand what is that makes some people be such complete jerks. It seems like she went out of her way to put you down. If she had no interest in the first place, what was with the flirting? I just don't get it. What else can you tell us about this woman? I'd like to know more about her personality and personal history to try and understand what motivates her to act like she does. Based on what you shared so far, she sounds narcissistic, and you were just her narcissistic supply... someone to give her attention and make her feel good about herself.

Mentally ill and personality disordered people are everywhere.

If you view yourself as a loser, unworthy, not as good as everyone else, that vibe permeates the air and these kinds of people immediately sense it. In their own messed up lives, validation is tantamount, and they will do anything they can to meet that need. Facebook and social media has made it much easier for them to target kindhearted folks, and for the kindhearted folks who are lonely, rebounding from failures, etc. well, it is like seagulls feasting at a McDonalds overflowing trash dumpster.

We all have flaws and insecurities. Problem is, not all of us play on them through actions with other people.

And not a single other person called her on it. Ive learned fat men are not good for anything other than friendship and attention. We dont consider them good for anything more than that. Tingles and sparks and definitely sex, are not for us. As long as there's an alternative around anyways. Dont show bitterness though because then they can point to that as the reason. Makes em feel better if they can point to that as the reason.

There was a time id pretend i didnt hear her, but nowadays id have confronted her about it. Ah well, you can lose the weight at least.

I have been there. "Can you imagine have sex with a whale like that". Loud enough so I would hear on purpose. Someone a friend had mentioned setting me up with, and at a party she was hosting hoping we might hit it off. The bunch of guys he was with turned and laughed. They didn't care how it made me feel. I felt like second class citizen.

Later after the tears had stopped I saw that I would not have wanted to go on a date with a jerk like that anyway. I don't know what possessed him to behave like that. My friend had mentioned me to him as well, but I was a joke instead of saying nothing, replying he wasn't attarcted to me. No he chose to be mean.

To the OP, what a few others said, she must crave external validation.

I think Eve posted a link to rant I had on something similar.

Serenia said:
I have been there. "Can you imagine have sex with a whale like that". Loud enough so I would hear on purpose. Someone a friend had mentioned setting me up with, and at a party she was hosting hoping we might hit it off. The bunch of guys he was with turned and laughed. They didn't care how it made me feel. I felt like second class citizen.

Later after the tears had stopped I saw that I would not have wanted to go on a date with a jerk like that anyway. I don't know what possessed him to behave like that. My friend had mentioned me to him as well, but I was a joke instead of saying nothing, replying he wasn't attarcted to me. No he chose to be mean.

To the OP, what a few others said, she must crave external validation.

I think Eve posted a link to rant I had on something similar.
I'm sorry about that. That is just cruel. In "Carol's" case, I think it was a gut reaction to her friend calling her out on her attraction to me. But in hindsight, I agree with the narcissistic issue with her.

kamya said:
And not a single other person called her on it. Ive learned fat men are not good for anything other than friendship and attention. We dont consider them good for anything more than that. Tingles and sparks and definitely sex, are not for us. As long as there's an alternative around anyways. Dont show bitterness though because then they can point to that as the reason. Makes em feel better if they can point to that as the reason.

There was a time id pretend i didnt hear her, but nowadays id have confronted her about it. Ah well, you can lose the weight at least.

We must agree to disagree, Kamya. :D
Save for two, every guy I ever dated or married was overweight.
I think maybe not too many women have that preference though so that makes it difficult. It's the same for women as well.

kamya said:
Ive learned fat men are not good for anything other than friendship and attention. We dont consider them good for anything more than that.

Well...uh...okay, then. So, dinner's out of the question?

I used to be the gf of a guy who actually had gastric by pass surgery so he was not thin. Fat or not makes no difference

Yeah eve i know it goes both ways mhmm. And the rare exceptions exist but they can be hard to find. Specially when every one is trying to pretend to be so open and non judgemental. At least cheese's girl was honest about it.

And i have sliding doors. They dont swing.

kamya said:
Yeah eve i know it goes both ways mhmm. And the rare exceptions exist but they can be hard to find. Specially when every one is trying to pretend to be so open and non judgemental. At least cheese's girl was honest about it.

And i have sliding doors. They dont swing.

LOL!!
And yes, I do agree that people try to pretend to be open.

Serenia said:

What is the matter with people who do things like this to someone else?

Can be alot worse. I had a friend that was recovering from a major back surgery and his then girlfriend who spent alot of time with him there. On the final day she didn't pick him up, and his mother brought him home. He tried calling her but no answer. As he waited for her return call, he puts on an old video tape of one his favorite movies, as the movie begins it gets cut off and it cuts into his girlfriend saying "I'm sorry for not picking you up, but I made other plans" as the guy comes from the side and they started to make out and and the camera cuts off. It messed him up over the years and now he has a lifetime of doctors because of that *****.

Latest posts

Back