What are some of the best dating sites for a shy loner?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecaf

Reaction score
I am 64, retired, with no friends, very lonely and looking to meet someone. Even though I don't really want to go on dating sites, I don't know what my options are. I volunteer, but have not met anyone. I go out alone to music festivals, various fairs, etc and all I see are people with other people and wonder why can't I have that. I did have a girlfriend years ago and reached out to her recently online hoping to reignite something, but that went nowhere. Its gotten to the point that I hate coming home to an empty house.

For someone who is very shy, introverted, self conscious, what are some of the best dating sites to cater to someone like me?

Thanks

There seems to be a dating site for everything now, so I would assume there are some specifically for shy people. No idea what they are or if they are any better than any other site.
Though, I can't see how it would be any different than any other site. Someone still has to message and then there has to be conversations.

Honestly, if you're going to make a go of online dating, it would probably be best for you to sign up for several sites. If you are serious about this, the paid dating sites are usually a little better than the free ones, but most of them allow you to look around for free after making an account (I think). So I would sign up for a bunch. Eharmony is usually ranked pretty high, as is Match.(both paid for any real chance) Try out Plenty of fish and okcupid (both free, I think) Google to see if there are any for shy people. Maybe try some for older people.

I don't know if you've tried dating sites before, but in case you haven't.....

Don't go into thinking there will be a magic wand. There isn't. It's not much different than trying to find and date in real life. You have to put in the effort to find someone and know that you are going to get rejected. The only thing about online dating that is different than real life is that you are exposed to more people than you would be in real life.

My point is to not get discouraged, even though it's really easy to do. Keep trying, because like with anything in life, that's the only way you will end up succeeding.

No to POF or Oasis, where you can have a partner each night and not the next. In the majority that it is their lifestyle - not wanting a life partner. I am your age and believe you should go to places like ballroom dancing, Bingo, a Service Club, etc but not a place with alcohol as that dulls the sences when talking to a new person.

Not sure if it's a common thing abroad but i've heard a lot of domestic violence incidents happen via that app in England (POF). Maybe i should try Bumble, but i'll become a bumbling idiot due to overthinking. See what i did there? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

well, I can't tell you any good sites because they are all pretty bad (my experience) I could tell you that the one site that everyone says is the best don't try it unless you want to invest a lot of money for a long commitment with lower success rate then they promise eharmony is not what it promises.

well, I can't tell you any good sites because they are all pretty bad (my experience) I could tell you that the one site that everyone says is the best don't try it unless you want to invest a lot of money for a long commitment with lower success rate then they promise eharmony is not what it promises.
E-Harmony is always advertised on UK TV. My anxiety goes through the roof thinking about using a dating site like that, because most want monthly fees and even if i paid i'd most likely get messaged by people i wouldn't be interested in or have anything in common with.

like I said its just my experience with it I'm sure that someone perhaps had a great relationship found there just not my story. And I try to be as honest as possible

True that,I got ghosted on eharmony before,I had just started talking to this one guy on there one time,then he just stopped talking to me.

True that,I got ghosted on eharmony before,I had just started talking to this one guy on there one time,then he just stopped talking to me.
It was probably one of eharmony's paid users. Some / many of the dating sites pay other people to message users just enough that they think the site is working and will hopefully fork over money. When they don't, they stop sending messages. If they do, they stop sending messages until it comes time to renew the membership.

Many / most of the dating sites are just there for venue now. It wasn't always like that though.

Just be careful because like most aspects of life there's scammers everywhere nowadays. I know this too well because my mother is 60, and was signed up to a dating site designed for over 50s and was talking a guy who ended up asking for some kind of Google play voucher so his Samsung phone wouldn't "crash". My mother isn't stupid so it didn't go any further, and explained it to me after it happened. No respecting person would ask a stranger for such things, and unfortunately people fall for this kind of thing. Scammers do not care, and pray on the lonely just like any other person.

Some general tips here.

Just be careful because like most aspects of life there's scammers everywhere nowadays. I know this too well because my mother is 60, and was signed up to a dating site designed for over 50s and was talking a guy who ended up asking for some kind of Google play voucher so his Samsung phone wouldn't "crash". My mother isn't stupid so it didn't go any further, and explained it to me after it happened. No respecting person would ask a stranger for such things, and unfortunately people fall for this kind of thing. Scammers do not care, and pray on the lonely just like any other person.

Some general tips here.
True that

Latest posts

Back