What are the things that infuriate you the most from society?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AnonymousMe said:
reynard_muldrake said:
Except in most of those cases, you're talking about a few overzealous fans. Most people just interpret the friendship between those Star Wars characters as a platonic bond. Luke's sexuality was never mentioned in the Star Wars movies. If he were, in fact, gay or even bisexual... how would that impact the overall story? Considering the abundance of media that caters to a heterosexual audience, a few LGBT characters shouldn't result in you having a meltdown.

I get what you're saying, unless if it's the protagonist/antagonist and his/her love interest, sexual orientation doesn't matter at all, so no, I wouldn't mind having LGBT characters in some stories, but from a narrative perspective, it's much better if the characters are asexual or if they don't indicate what they like, because it leaves it up to interpretation and it's that vagueness that appeals EVERYONE; people can guess what's their orientation/preferences are and be correct, yet wrong at the same time (Fanfiction). It doesn't work well with established or iconic characters though, suddenly changing their vagueness will end up with mixed reactions from the fans, you can say that it makes them less special, it would be like openly telling what made the apocalyptic zombie world from The Walking Dead or telling the actual background of the Joker or showing what made the titans appear on Attack on Titan.

Hmm. I can't say romantic attraction (or other kinds of attraction) between characters really interest me in stories or shows, so I'm fine if there's ambiguity in that area. I'm usually watching or reading for the subject matter and/or characters anyway. I do, however, disagree that sexual orientation has such a great impact on the story. At most, it's just an additional facet to the character. And with comics (I recall you mentioned Iceman from the X-Men series), don't writers redo character origins or reboot the stories now and again? I'm not that familiar with comics, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't hate anything about the world, but if there's one thing I don't like in this world is that some people can get anything/what they really want simply because of their social network, EVEN if they don't have any talent/skills/requirements/etc. for that specific...thing.

Also, the pointless violence of mankind.

reynard_muldrake said:
Hmm. I can't say romantic attraction (or other kinds of attraction) between characters really interest me in stories or shows, so I'm fine if there's ambiguity in that area. I'm usually watching or reading for the subject matter and/or characters anyway. I do, however, disagree that sexual orientation has such a great impact on the story. At most, it's just an additional facet to the character. And with comics (I recall you mentioned Iceman from the X-Men series), don't writers redo character origins or reboot the stories now and again? I'm not that familiar with comics, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep, they reboot the storylines every once in a while. DC started the "New 52" comics in 2011 and Marvel started the "All-New, All-Different Marvel" last year, I think it continues a previous storyline though. Iceman's sexuality was revealed in this new line and, from what I gathered, it had a very mixed reaction, just look at the like/dislike bar of this video and read the comments if you can.

AnonymousMe said:
just look at the like/dislike bar of this video and read the comments if you can.

A similar thing that bothers me is when they sort of rewrite a TV show that you enjoyed because of pushing and agenda. I really enjoyed the "100" the first season. Interestingly the main love interest character was killed off because he didn't have any chemistry with the main character and another did. Those two looked primed to have a great story line only to have the second season back off and push the main character as a lesbian (or bi but we havne't seen proof of that yet).

Ok, now I don't mind that if that is what the story starts as, but it does seem a little bit of false advertising to keep me as a viewer and go an entirely different way. And I resent that a few vocal audience members and take a show I liked and change it. Go find your own show.

There was another show I liked that got totally derailed by a loud fan base fighting for a rewrite of a few characters to suit their agenda. In this case everyone involved just decided to write the character and actor out to shut them up. Really sad.

LonelySutton said:
AnonymousMe said:
just look at the like/dislike bar of this video and read the comments if you can.

A similar thing that bothers me is when they sort of rewrite a TV show that you enjoyed because of pushing and agenda. I really enjoyed the "100" the first season. Interestingly the main love interest character was killed off because he didn't have any chemistry with the main character and another did. Those two looked primed to have a great story line only to have the second season back off and push the main character as a lesbian (or bi but we havne't seen proof of that yet).

Did the character explicitly identify as a lesbian? Because to me, falling in love with a woman after falling in love with a man is enough proof that she's bisexual. Even if she weren't bi, many gay people do have relationships with members of the opposite sex. I just don't see how that drastically changes the show's plot (or that the creators have some agenda).

LonelySutton said:

Ok, now I don't mind that if that is what the story starts as, but it does seem a little bit of false advertising to keep me as a viewer and go an entirely different way. And I resent that a few vocal audience members and take a show I liked and change it. Go find your own show.

There was another show I liked that got totally derailed by a loud fan base fighting for a rewrite of a few characters to suit their agenda. In this case everyone involved just decided to write the character and actor out to shut them up. Really sad.

Once again, we think much alike. In season one, I was fixated on this series and probably binge watched 90% of it. Season 2, I feel is still good, but... and these were the words my head used " There is a serious lack of meaningful relationships." It seems all they do in season 2 is fight, and at this point, I no longer even understand what exactly they are fighting for. Lmao @ go get your own show ! i also feel that loyalties are flip flopping all over the place. Meaningfulness is getting lost and the ability to connect with the characters goes with it.

Even the lesbian scene, it was just her having meaningless sex with a random girl, and so far its served little if any purpose in the plot.

Still, with all that being said... I love this series.

I also feel that orange is the new black got derailed like this as well. I didnt even bother watching the rest. They all became too peaceful and happy in jail. There was no tension or fear of the unknown.

Anyway, in regards to poor dead finn, keep in mind if they have the technology over in that promised land of holograms, maybe they can bring fynn back. :)

reynard_muldrake said:
Did the character explicitly identify as a lesbian? Because to me, falling in love with a woman after falling in love with a man is enough proof that she's bisexual. Even if she weren't bi, many gay people do have relationships with members of the opposite sex. I just don't see how that drastically changes the show's plot (or that the creators have some agenda).

The show started with a clear implication that the character was not gay having her be attracted two two different men... no indication she was attracted to a woman -- then, show goes away for 1 year and in a matter of months she is kissing a woman. Also the show was based on a book which did not have a gay character. Ok fine, but clearly the show got its ratings by interesting one group of people and then, tried to bring in a whole different group of people and, of course tried to keep the promise of her relationship with the guy just to string everyone along. Clearly it is their agenda to try to make the show / network more LGBT friendly at the expense of what I was watching. Its Hollywood... they definitely have an agenda.

Hey I happen to like male and female romance, shoot me. So it irks me when suddenly I am abruptly watching another show and I know it wasn't some sort of organic storytelling.

That people want the quick, magic solution to everything. HOW TO GET RICH, HOW TO WIN INDEFINITELY AT JEOPARDY, HOW TO GET ALL WOMEN TO TALK TO YOU.....

As if such things even exist at all. Hard work, getting well read, finding the right people, luck and never giving up. There, those are the real answers. There are no magic fix-its.

It's getting more widespread; just look at the joke online dating is, for example. Automated algorithms, etc. WHO NEEDS TO EVEN ORGANICALLY TALK TO PEOPLE ANYMORE? WE'LL DO IT FOR YOU1111! AND 100%, FIND YOU A STABLE RELATIONSHIP.

Bull.honeysuckle.

- People who decide that you're not good enough for them just because you have a physical or mental disability that makes you a little bit 'different' - regardless of its level of severity.

- People who spit acid at anybody who dares to have an opposing opinion.

- People who get their jollies off of bullying.

There are loads I can think if - but those are the first that spring to mind.

Coldness. So many people these days are broke and unhappy. Crime has increased dramatically globally, and it reflects in our attitudes towards others these days. I like to consider myself a trusting person, but I've been burned on many occasions which tends to make a little frustrated at times.

Raph said:
Coldness. So many people these days are broke and unhappy. Crime has increased dramatically globally, and it reflects in our attitudes towards others these days. I like to consider myself a trusting person, but I've been burned on many occasions which tends to make a little frustrated at times.

That part about crime increasing dramatically on a global level simply isn't true at all, certainly not in regards to violent crime. Violence has been declining for a long time and there are fewer civilian deaths from armed conflict than ever. I know a lot of Western Europe has seen violent crime increases in recent years from immigration but that is still on a much, much smaller scale than most of human history. For the first time in history you are more likely to die from suicide than murder.

People who work the system. I was dating a guy and discovered he was on disability for a back injury and received a hefty chunk of money from SSI. One day, he decided to get a job at a local auto shop and managed to talk the employer into paying him cash "under the table" so he wouldn't lose his disability benefits. He gave a sob story about needing the money and then award-winning performances of a man in excruciating back pain when he was out and about and at work so he wouldn't have to do too much. Once he got home, he was laying new floor tiles, putting in a countertop in his kitchen and all kinds of things that proved there was nothing wrong with him. Next, he applied for EBT (food stamps) and got it! When I questioned him, he smiled and said, "I've got no shame in my game." This irritated me to no end because there I was struggling to make rent and put gas in my car and food on my table doing honest work part-time, and he was living it up on government benefits that he was lying through his teeth to get. He wanted me to apply for SSI using depression as a "disability." I was appalled, left immediately, and never returned. I hate to hear about people who do things like this. It's not clever, it's fraud, and it's illegal.

Enpatsu No Shakugan said:
That people want the quick, magic solution to everything. HOW TO GET RICH, HOW TO WIN INDEFINITELY AT JEOPARDY, HOW TO GET ALL WOMEN TO TALK TO YOU.....

As if such things even exist at all. Hard work, getting well read, finding the right people, luck and never giving up. There, those are the real answers. There are no magic fix-its.

It's getting more widespread; just look at the joke online dating is, for example. Automated algorithms, etc. WHO NEEDS TO EVEN ORGANICALLY TALK TO  PEOPLE ANYMORE? WE'LL DO IT FOR YOU1111! AND 100%, FIND YOU A STABLE RELATIONSHIP.

Bull.honeysuckle.

YES!! There are no shortcuts- do the work.

the sociability the society is based upon ... I think the more a society is atomized the more humane and peaceful it is ... I think only enduring loneliness you learn to value fellowship when you reach to it and to be happy with just little amount of companionship (quality over quantity)

Latest posts

Back