What are you thinking right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just happened to see an article saying that Elijah Wood (Frodo) is against AMC's idea to charge more money based on seat location at the movie theater.

I understand why they would do it. Other forms of entertainment have already been doing this. And it makes sense from a purely numbers perspective, especially with the hit movie theaters took during COVID, and with streaming becoming more common.
But at the same time...it's still a dick move. Going to the theater was already expensive before COVID, and the situation was already well worse than it used to be.

What surprised me, was to see how many people actually argue on the corporation's side.
This isn't the first time I've seen such things either, far from it.
I used to think that most people would argue FOR "the little guy", because most of us ARE "the little guy".
It's astounding to me that there really are a significant amount of people, who argue FOR "the machine", even despite everything that's happened these last couple of years. It's been more obvious than it has in a long time that there is a serious greed problem going on today, and some people not only still don't get it, but they are actually for it. It's even to the point where some accused Wood of seeking attention, but that's so dumb - what does he need attention for? He's already set, he doesn't need attention.

A lot of people out there, really do stick up for faceless corporations, and against their own interests. They really stick up for established power. I don't understand that kind of person at all. For me, the knee-jerk reaction is to say "enough greed is enough, in fact we're already past enough, we've been past enough for some time now". But regular people are actually saying "we agree with corporations' desire to charge us more and make service worse, and we will fight you over it". This is the kind of person who, when they hear someone else complaining about something that they are having a hard time with, they'll tell the person "sToP wHiNiNg". They'll take the side of/kiss up to the thing that's strong, against the person struggling. They aren't nice people that are confused, or don't know what they're saying, don't know any better. They're for "might makes right", "survival of the fittest" because they are a-holes, they're bullies. And I've always instinctively disliked this kind of person.

I guess the cold, heartless, a-hole bully mentality, is more widespread and entrenched than I thought.

EDIT:

OK so, to be fair, upon reading the article in full, the new seat prices will be only a dollar or two more - which, while not great, especially considering the already-high price of a movie ticket pre-COVID - nevermind concessions - still isn't the end of the world. Kind of annoying though - when I went to the theater, I would get these same seats, I'd just either go to the theater early, or order tickets online in advance.

What bothers me about it is more the way the company is trying to artificially extract more money out of people without actually creating more value/improving the service - it's the same thing, just pricier - this is becoming a trend these days, worse service for more money, where the "value creators" aren't actually creating value, aren't making anything better, just trying to find new ways to gouge the sh*t out of people.
It's like greed has become culture these days. I feel like religion used to tell people that there was a higher way than "might makes right", but now that it's falling away, people are regressing to Darwinian competition.

And the part that really stuck in my craw, was the amount of people that sided with the corporation, and against consumers just like themselves.
What are movie theaters? Ha! Ha!
I haven't been to one of those for about 30 years.

I just happened to see an article saying that Elijah Wood (Frodo) is against AMC's idea to charge more money based on seat location at the movie theater.

I understand why they would do it. Other forms of entertainment have already been doing this. And it makes sense from a purely numbers perspective, especially with the hit movie theaters took during COVID, and with streaming becoming more common.
But at the same time...it's still a dick move. Going to the theater was already expensive before COVID, and the situation was already well worse than it used to be.

What surprised me, was to see how many people actually argue on the corporation's side.
This isn't the first time I've seen such things either, far from it.
I used to think that most people would argue FOR "the little guy", because most of us ARE "the little guy".
It's astounding to me that there really are a significant amount of people, who argue FOR "the machine", even despite everything that's happened these last couple of years. It's been more obvious than it has in a long time that there is a serious greed problem going on today, and some people not only still don't get it, but they are actually for it. It's even to the point where some accused Wood of seeking attention, but that's so dumb - what does he need attention for? He's already set, he doesn't need attention.

A lot of people out there, really do stick up for faceless corporations, and against their own interests. They really stick up for established power. I don't understand that kind of person at all. For me, the knee-jerk reaction is to say "enough greed is enough, in fact we're already past enough, we've been past enough for some time now". But regular people are actually saying "we agree with corporations' desire to charge us more and make service worse, and we will fight you over it". This is the kind of person who, when they hear someone else complaining about something that they are having a hard time with, they'll tell the person "sToP wHiNiNg". They'll take the side of/kiss up to the thing that's strong, against the person struggling. They aren't nice people that are confused, or don't know what they're saying, don't know any better. They're for "might makes right", "survival of the fittest" because they are a-holes, they're bullies. And I've always instinctively disliked this kind of person.

I guess the cold, heartless, a-hole bully mentality, is more widespread and entrenched than I thought.

EDIT:

OK so, to be fair, upon reading the article in full, the new seat prices will be only a dollar or two more - which, while not great, especially considering the already-high price of a movie ticket pre-COVID - nevermind concessions - still isn't the end of the world. Kind of annoying though - when I went to the theater, I would get these same seats, I'd just either go to the theater early, or order tickets online in advance.

What bothers me about it is more the way the company is trying to artificially extract more money out of people without actually creating more value/improving the service - it's the same thing, just pricier - this is becoming a trend these days, worse service for more money, where the "value creators" aren't actually creating value, aren't making anything better, just trying to find new ways to gouge the sh*t out of people.
It's like greed has become culture these days. I feel like religion used to tell people that there was a higher way than "might makes right", but now that it's falling away, people are regressing to Darwinian competition.

And the part that really stuck in my craw, was the amount of people that sided with the corporation, and against consumers just like themselves.
That's because people are idiots, in general. Most are uninterested too, aka Finished's points.
If you follow the idea to it's logical conclusion however, 20-30-40-50 years from now, akin to the situation we see for plays and the like, cinema might become exclusively for people with money, instead of for everyone. That I'm entitely against. It's a step back, not a step forward.
Anything that favors two classes of citizens, the rich ones and "the rest", is a big no in my book. If a working single mom with three kids wants to take them to see the latest Avengers movie, it shouldn't cost her 5 hours of work.

Also...why are some of you on a forum...and literally never do, well anything? What did your kindergarten teachers do to you? Every day I'm perplexed

I could easily pass for 33. So why the hell do I have to be consigned to this old car graveyard that is 40s, surrounded by alcoholics and miserable sods who complain about ailments and never want to do anything. Never ending episode of Coronation Street.

I wish somebody would just kill me. Some kid trying to be tough, some gang initiation thing. Go on: Brick to the back of the head, make it quick.

It's not that I'm still affected by the specific people that bullied me in childhood.

It's more that they were the first "face" of that kind of person, to me.

Since then, I've seen this kind of person everywhere - in the Facebook comments section, in traffic, on other websites, in politics, even here. It's just people with the bully personality, that might have a few high cards and think they can talk down to you if they think they're "better" than you. It really is more or less this same person, over and over.

This is why I want to be strong - so that while I'm not looking for trouble, I can have peace of mind that I can stand up to this kind of person, and push them back if and when I have to.

But to be strong, I have to be good at something, I have to get one or more skills, I have to achieve. And that's always been the hard part, because it's the thing I've always struggled with feeling like I can't do it.

Last edited:
...... Anything that favors two classes of citizens, the rich ones and "the rest", is a big no in my book.....
You mean like the Super Bowl (Stupid Bowl) in the US? Crap seats are $7,000 each. The average ticket price is $9,000. The rich folk fly in their private jets and take over whatever city it's being played in. That is so wrong.

I....am at a loss of words after watching and processing this story.
It isn't anything I didn't already know, but it was an unexpected reminder.

You mean like the Super Bowl (Stupid Bowl) in the US? Crap seats are $7,000 each. The average ticket price is $9,000. The rich folk fly in their private jets and take over whatever city it's being played in. That is so wrong.
I don't watch football. But yeah, I think that's ridiculous. Here in Montréal, if I want to pay to see the Canadians play, it should be 50-100 MAX. Anything over that is designed for the upper class and it's not right.

For example. This is from the Bell Centre page. I still think it's too costly, but it's more reasonable.

https://www.billets.ca/canadiens-de...stFPCPrwNyKJEad8CnCrsIL04UoFJARBoC6o4QAvD_BwE

I lost a lot of old friends this year, but I've also gained some friends back. I've also met a lot of new interesting people on discord. I'm pretty content with my life right now. I'll say that. It's not the best, but I am comfortable with how things are. I'm glad I feel like that.

Bet I can't sleep tonight. Ive been obsessively watching my 59lb puppy. She was spayed today and if you've never seen a female lick away the 2 sets of stitches until her intestines are exposed I wouldn't recommend it. Its messy and a pain in the ass.

No, I neutered my buddy...all those years ago. And, he so needed to come home. And we slept together that day...and similar I think?

That's because people are idiots, in general. Most are uninterested too, aka Finished's points.
If you follow the idea to it's logical conclusion however, 20-30-40-50 years from now, akin to the situation we see for plays and the like, cinema might become exclusively for people with money, instead of for everyone. That I'm entitely against. It's a step back, not a step forward.
Anything that favors two classes of citizens, the rich ones and "the rest", is a big no in my book. If a working single mom with three kids wants to take them to see the latest Avengers movie, it shouldn't cost her 5 hours of work.

Like Finished was saying, I also only ever went to the theater rarely. It was already expensive pre-COVID. When I did go to the theater, I had to make sure to make it count, like for a Star Wars movie, or any of my other favorite franchises.

What I think it is, is that a lot of people argue in favor of the corporation, because they see themselves in the corporation. There are people out there, that in any conflict, argue for the bigger, stronger side, because that's what they identify with. Instead of Good vs Evil, they view the world in terms of Strong vs Weak, Superior vs Inferior. Their worldview isn't based on morality, but instead on power, which they view as both the means and the ends. It's no wonder I don't understand them because it's a totally different belief system than my own. This kind of person usually thinks of themselves as one of the "deserving" strong, and tends to be egotistical. I was brought up believing that was wrong, and that only jerks believed that, but a lot of people really do think "might makes right".

Anyway I'm totally in agreement about your post, especially the part I bolded - about how it would be a step back, not a step forward. I really think a lot of things in the world have been going back lately, instead of forward, and I think it's a shame. The movies used to be an escape, and maybe even an inspiration - something to take you outside of your life for a while and into a more fantastic world. And I for one think they should stay that way.

Last edited:
Like Finished was saying, I also only rarely go to the theater anymore. It was already expensive pre-COVID. When I did go to the theater, I had to make sure to make it count, like for a Star Wars movie, or any of my other favorite franchises.

What I think it is, is that a lot of people argue in favor of the corporation, because they see themselves in the corporation. There are people out there, that in any conflict, argue for the bigger, stronger side, because that's what they identify with. Instead of Good vs Evil, they view the world in terms of Strong vs Weak, Superior vs Inferior. Their worldview isn't based on morality, but instead on power, which they view as both the means and the ends. It's no wonder I don't understand them because it's a totally different belief system than my own. This kind of person usually thinks of themselves as one of the "deserving" strong, and tends to be egotistical. I was brought up believing that was wrong, and that only jerks believed that, but a lot of people really do think "might makes right".

Anyway I'm totally in agreement about your post, especially the part I bolded - about how it would be a step back, not a step forward. I really think a lot of things in the world have been going back lately, instead of forward, and I think it's a shame. The movies used to be an escape, and maybe even an inspiration - something to take you outside of your life for a while and into a more fantastic world. And I for one think they should stay that way.
I'm somewhat of an anomaly in modern life 😉
I'm a natural rebel, I don't enjoy being told what to do by people who think they have all the answers and on certain subjects, I'll play devil's advocate, even on positions I don't agree with, just to get a clearer picture of what someone is thinking. Definitely in favor of capitalism in general, but totally against the concept of the modern corporation. They took making a profit ridiculously too far. There's a limit to how much money you're going to need in your life and if you're clearing 500+ million dollars a year in profits and not giving 3/4 of it back to society or the population, you might have your reasons and they might be perfectly valid too, it won't stop me from thinking you're a total arse 😜

I have much respect for guys like Jean Coutu, who started way back when his own pharmacy stores, which I believe still includes Eckerd's in The US (yup, that was one of our guys lol) who, one year when his chains didn't clear a profit, didn't say a thing, didn't fire people, didn't cut costs, but just absorbed it with his fund put behind specifically for that reason. That's a leader.
Most modern day "leaders" are just spoiled brats with dellusions of grandeur.

Why the fresia am i getting full screen ads on this shithole site now, as if the money begging wasnt enough. Whenever i think this place cant get any worse i just have to visit. Kind of remarkable, to be fair.

Latest posts

Back