What book are you currently reading?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalwean

Reaction score
I didn’t see a post anywhere on the first page for this or when I searched, so I figured I would start a thread of my own!

What book are you currently reading? Or what was the most recent book that you have read? I myself have just started reading a book called Drylor The First Artifact. It is an Action/Fantasy book created by Ryan Tomasella. So far it is actually **** good, it is a story about a man that suffers amnesia and struggles to regain his memory. As his memory starts to come back to him he realizes that his brother is an evil S.o.b and he makes it his mission to stop him.

It seems like a fairly generic story line but the author makes it his own. There are tons of twists and turns in the story (mainly when the main character thinks he remembers something from his past he realizes that it was only an illusion that his brother wanted him to think was true.) I must say I am really impressed with this book, then again I read almost anything that involved sword and sorcery. Below is what the back of the book reads:

When a man wakes up inside a cage that is being carried through
an underground city, he has no idea where he is or what has
happened to him. As Von, a victim of amnesia, is taken to a jail
cell to await his fate amongst elves, humans, dwarfs, gnomes, and
halflings, he is told he is a member of the Royal Guard of Genisus.
It is not long before he is transported to the palace where he
meets an impatient king who eventually returns him to his jail
cell while deciding his destiny.

As Von’s memory slowly returns, he discovers that he is the only
one who can protect Drylor—a world that abandoned him—
from its greatest evil, his own brother. Through his journey to the
truth, Von meets an unlikely group of friends who are willing
to sacrifice everything to help him stop his brother Scarlet
from annihilating the only world they have ever known.

As Von’s past becomes clear and reveals his future, he soon
realizes the only way he can end his brother’s heartless
massacres is to find him and kill him.

I'm reading a few books. For reason unknown, I have no fidelity to books when reading them. There must be something wrong with my soul, because I have no problem starting a book, enjoying it, and then starting another. :) Maybe it has something to do with my current mood at the time I want to read.

-Imperfect Birds by Anne Lamott
-The Extra Man by Jonathan Ames
-An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin
-I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
-New York Stories by Everyman's Pocket Classics

All good reads, all wonderful in their own ways.

nice
sounds cool lawrean if you haven't already you should check out the movie memento

it'll mess with your head, it's about amnesia, only it's anerograde amnesia i believe so he remembers everything up to a certian point, but can't remember anything else becuase he can't form new memories
I've started reading the year of living biblically by aj jacobs it's about a guy ( the author ) who reads the bible and tries to live a year while following the bible as literally as possible

it's quite amusing so far

it's by the same guy who wrote the know it about, about his quest to read the entire enclyopedia, which means that you will be reading about someone reading

lols no it's actually much better than that it's quite entertaining

I'm reading two:

'The Wise Mans Fear' is the second book in the Kingkiller Chronicle, a trilogy by first-time author Patrick Rothfuss. It's superb, as far as fantasy goes. I am quite pleased with the recent entries in to the fantasy genre over the past 5-10 years.

That aside, I'm slowly and thoughtfully working my way through the Poetic Edda, the annotated Lee M. Hollander translation. I appreciate the translation as well as the annotations and the alternate translations offered, but I disagree with a few of his interpretations that he suggests. Others are helpful to the context of the writings, in terms of presumed time of origin, etc.

I am reading "Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?" Steven Tyler of Aerosmith and American Idol's new book. He is bearing his soul in it.

I'm reading L'éducation d'une fée (original name, I can't read french, lol.... :>)

It's interesting, still.. :D

For some reason I dont have the time focus or attention to read paper books, I devour audiobooks while gaming if I find a good grinder sometimes even a book a day if they are short, like 7hrs.
I really dig pulp fantasy stuff like you are describing, its a good ride, sometimes it sticks with you sometimes its just a passing fancy
Queen of Thieves series by Andy Peloquin was some of the best pulp fantasy Ive come across
You ever read Tyler Dourden, I mean the Harry Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, thats a great series about a wizard for hire

Memento is a good film.

The Kingkiller Chronicles on the other hand are Amazing. Patrick Rothfuss came into my store once before I had ever heard of his work and I commented on his name being interesting while my coworker was struck dumb with awe. Name of Wind is an amazing book rivaling even stuff by Neil Gaiman and Clive Barker. The audios of Name of the Wind and WiseMans Fear are incredible and intoduced me to Rupert Degas (now my favorite) as a narrator who introduced me to alot of other great books like Metro 2033, Darren Shan's Demonatta, Skullduggery Pleasant, Gormenghast. I even found a copy of The Slow Regard for Silent Things read by Patrick Rothfuss himself, thats some kinda love letter to the whimsy of his own imagination.

I have the really good subsciption to Audible so I stack up credits just listening to all the free books they have.
The Audio Dramas of Neil Gaiman's The Sandman are worth spending credits on, even better than the netflix series.
As for Free Books
the last stuff I enjoyed alot was
The Slenderman Mysteries: An Urban Legend Comes to Life
and
Necronomicon: The Wanderings of Alhazred

I just finished the Bhagavad Gita but will read again eventually. I'm currently reading The Second Coming of Christ The Resurrection of the Christ Within You by Paramahansa Yogananda. I'm also reading The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh.

The Lucifer Effect by Philip Zimbardo is a book that explores the phenomenon of how good people can be induced to commit evil acts. Zimbardo argues that evil is not something that is inherent in certain people, but rather a product of situational forces and the dehumanization of others.

I didn’t see a post anywhere on the first page for this or when I searched, so I figured I would start a thread of my own!

What book are you currently reading? Or what was the most recent book that you have read? I myself have just started reading a book called Drylor The First Artifact. It is an Action/Fantasy book created by Ryan Tomasella. So far it is actually **** good, it is a story about a man that suffers amnesia and struggles to regain his memory. As his memory starts to come back to him he realizes that his brother is an evil S.o.b and he makes it his mission to stop him.

It seems like a fairly generic story line but the author makes it his own. There are tons of twists and turns in the story (mainly when the main character thinks he remembers something from his past he realizes that it was only an illusion that his brother wanted him to think was true.) I must say I am really impressed with this book, then again I read almost anything that involved sword and sorcery. Below is what the back of the book reads:

When a man wakes up inside a cage that is being carried through
an underground city, he has no idea where he is or what has
happened to him. As Von, a victim of amnesia, is taken to a jail
cell to await his fate amongst elves, humans, dwarfs, gnomes, and
halflings, he is told he is a member of the Royal Guard of Genisus.
It is not long before he is transported to the palace where he
meets an impatient king who eventually returns him to his jail
cell while deciding his destiny.

As Von’s memory slowly returns, he discovers that he is the only
one who can protect Drylor—a world that abandoned him—
from its greatest evil, his own brother. Through his journey to the
truth, Von meets an unlikely group of friends who are willing
to sacrifice everything to help him stop his brother Scarlet
from annihilating the only world they have ever known.

As Von’s past becomes clear and reveals his future, he soon
realizes the only way he can end his brother’s heartless
massacres is to find him and kill him.
Rather old book, hey on YT there is a video where a dude composed a guitar solo for that book. Pretty good riffs

I read WH40K, Gaunt’s Ghosts series. Cannot emphasize it enough they writers are more eloquent than non fictional authors.

Anywho, do audiobooks count? I listen to them on drives longer than 5 minutes. Right now I’m listening to anime novel my quiet blacksmith life in another world vol 5.

I just finished "The Ancient City: A Study on the Religion, Laws, and Institutions of Greece and Rome" by Numa Denis Fustel De Coulanges. It was a fascinating read on how important the institution of family and ancestral workship (imagine worshipping your ancestors by a hearth fire and having that become the organising principle of society) was to ancient society.

Anywho, do audiobooks count? I listen to them on drives longer than 5 minutes. Right now I’m listening to anime novel my quiet blacksmith life in another world vol 5.
------

All my books are audiobooks. Cuz reasons.

Just finished: Understanding and Coping with Grief by Joanne Cacciatore .

Latest posts

Back