What drives you crazy

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When someone adds 17 things to a cheesesteak and still calls it a Philly cheesesteak. It's not. Call it anything else, but it's not that. A Philly cheesesteak is the steak, cheese whiz, and onions. That's it. When you start adding other things or different cheeses, it's not a Philly anymore. My dad used to say that anywhere else will give you steak and they'll give you cheese, and I completely understand it now.

When someone adds 17 things to a cheesesteak and still calls it a Philly cheesesteak. It's not. Call it anything else, but it's not that. A Philly cheesesteak is the steak, cheese whiz, and onions. That's it. When you start adding other things or different cheeses, it's not a Philly anymore. My dad used to say that anywhere else will give you steak and they'll give you cheese, and I completely understand it now.
Reinventing the Philly Cheesesteak Wheel!! You can not! 🙃

When you finally get through to someone at a telephone helpdesk and they are more concerned as to whether it's ok to call you by your first name rather than being able to resolve your issue. Phack off man, this isn no social call and I'm not here for any idle chit chat. To make matters worse, when it becomes apparent that they are out of their depth and so have to escalate it further, they trot out the line "is there anything else I can help you with today?" Like come on son, you can't even deal with this problem, so what makes you think I've got any confidence that you'll be able to deal with anything else?

My ears. I really wish I could become have a surgery to make me 100% deaf with no buzzing, clicking, or other sounds. Just complete silence. That would be great!

My ears. I really wish I could become have a surgery to make me 100% deaf with no buzzing, clicking, or other sounds. Just complete silence. That would be great!

Apologies for sticking my butt in (but thankfully not in your ear) but was just wondering if you've been checked for tinnitus?

Apologies for sticking my butt in (but thankfully not in your ear) but was just wondering if you've been checked for tinnitus?
No apoligies neccesary. You are only asking me a question about something I posted AND you show concern. Thank you for that!

Yes. I have all kinds of tinnitus. Been working with metal and doing body work all my life. I was around jet engines quite a bit in the military too. But, it's not just the tinnitus that's the problem. Many sounds, especially dogs barking, triggers my fight or flight mode. The sounds sending me into a panic. It's not something that I can out think either. It's just how some people are wired up.

I've tried all kinds of things and nothing has worked.

No apoligies neccesary. You are only asking me a question about something I posted AND you show concern. Thank you for that!

Yes. I have all kinds of tinnitus. Been working with metal and doing body work all my life. I was around jet engines quite a bit in the military too. But, it's not just the tinnitus that's the problem. Many sounds, especially dogs barking, triggers my fight or flight mode. The sounds sending me into a panic. It's not something that I can out think either. It's just how some people are wired up.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I know dogs barking bothers you, but I didn't know about the rest.

I'm thinking there has to be a polite way to tell people to stop looking in my windows. We have always liked to have our blinds open and if the temperature is nice, the windows open. I can't even count how many people we have known who came up and rang the doorbell and then peek in to see if we are in there and they always claim they're just looking to see if they can find the kitties. And I have even known a few people who have come up to our windows and cupped their hands to look in. I have become braver throughout the years and said something, but they actually take it as a joke and it's not funny anymore and I just had it happen again today. I used to have a friend who knew I always napped in the afternoon and she came to visit several afternoons a week and if I didn't answer the door because I was actually sleeping, she would walk all the way around the house, cup her hands, and look in to see for sure that I was in bed sleeping. What is up with that?

Ive thought and said the exact same thing for years. Ive tried noise cancelling ear phones but that only blocks the external noises. I have been so aggravated with my ears I've wanted to stab inside my ears with knitting needles, pencils, screwdrivers, anything I was holding that would get in there. I keep a fan on at night but the white noise trick is proving to be less effective. I know exactly how you feel and it ******* sucks.

Guess it's old habits dying hard stemming from the job I was in for around 30yrs (pharmacy) was why I was making gentle enquiry....

Working with jet engines as well as well metal/body work, the long term exposure to those intensity of sounds, I not surprised it's ended up shanking your auditory nerves and associated receptors. I understand that there are many causes of tinnitus with various types of manifestations of symptoms. It can be one hell of a ***** to treat that's for sure. I've known people in the past where for some it can be reasonably mananged, but for others it can wear them down. So I can appreciate how general sounds can be triggering and so can be hard to deal with.

I had a feeling that you may have tried various treatment options so I thought I'd hold back mentioning any which you've probably already tried be it various types of therapy or equipment. I was just taking a look, it seems treatment developments is currently pisspoor (at least in the UK) due to lack of reseach and funding. Who knows though, as someone might pick up the baton.

And @Claudia1794 as well as Finished, have you ever tried any of the various types of apps available? I just came across a listing of them so I'll leave the link here in case it may be of help

https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/mobile-apps-for-the-management-of-tinnitus

Guess it's old habits dying hard stemming from the job I was in for around 30yrs (pharmacy) was why I was making gentle enquiry....

Working with jet engines as well as well metal/body work, the long term exposure to those intensity of sounds, I not surprised it's ended up shanking your auditory nerves and associated receptors. I understand that there are many causes of tinnitus with various types of manifestations of symptoms. It can be one hell of a ***** to treat that's for sure. I've known people in the past where for some it can be reasonably mananged, but for others it can wear them down. So I can appreciate how general sounds can be triggering and so can be hard to deal with.

I had a feeling that you may have tried various treatment options so I thought I'd hold back mentioning any which you've probably already tried be it various types of therapy or equipment. I was just taking a look, it seems treatment developments is currently pisspoor (at least in the UK) due to lack of reseach and funding. Who knows though, as someone might pick up the baton.

And @Claudia1794 as well as Finished, have you ever tried any of the various types of apps available? I just came across a listing of them so I'll leave the link here in case it may be of help

https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/mobile-apps-for-the-management-of-tinnitus
Thanks for the link! I read the website and downloaded the PDF to view later. From all the reading that I've previously done most people kind of get used to their tinnitus. I know I mostly have. But, sometimes it is so loud. Obviously I notice it most at night when everything is quite. But, I like quite. I really don't like adding more noise to drown out the ringing and popping sounds.

Thanks for the link! I read the website and downloaded the PDF to view later. From all the reading that I've previously done most people kind of get used to their tinnitus. I know I mostly have. But, sometimes it is so loud. Obviously I notice it most at night when everything is quite. But, I like quite. I really don't like adding more noise to drown out the ringing and popping sounds.

I get what you're saying, it's the quiteness that makes it seem to be at it's most deafening. Hope there'll be something there that will help to dampen it down during nightime. What with there being psychological as well as physiological aspects that needs to be addressed, it actually got me thinking to the advances in research in the field of neuroplasticity for the management of depression. Got me wondering in terms of how much of that knowledge gained could be utilised for conditions such as this.

I get what you're saying, it's the quiteness that makes it seem to be at it's most deafening. Hope there'll be something there that will help to dampen it down during nightime. What with there being psychological as well as physiological aspects that needs to be addressed, it actually got me thinking to the advances in research in the field of neuroplasticity for the management of depression. Got me wondering in terms of how much of that knowledge gained could be utilised for conditions such as this.
I've been having headaches everyday all day long for awhile now. They have been getting progressively worse for over a month. Now I get dizzy sometimes too. If I lean forward or cough at all my head really hurts.

I think I'm going to sign up for Health Insurance this year and in January see what the doctors say. I have a feeling they'll just say, "here's some pain meds. Come back in a few weeks if you still have headaches." But, at this point, I know there is something wrong. I was thinking about ordering an MRI and find a doctor to check it out.

Anyway, since I will have health insurance maybe I'll look into my other ear issues. Although, I doubt it because I have to pay for everything until I reach my deductable of about $9,100. So, it's typically better NOT to have health insurance and just pay cash. Doctors usually give a huge break in price because they don't have to deal with insurance and they get the cash right away. My plan is to use a primary care doctor to help steer my around. Then I'll setup everything myself and pay cash.

I've been having headaches everyday all day long for awhile now. They have been getting progressively worse for over a month. Now I get dizzy sometimes too. If I lean forward or cough at all my head really hurts.

I think I'm going to sign up for Health Insurance this year and in January see what the doctors say. I have a feeling they'll just say, "here's some pain meds. Come back in a few weeks if you still have headaches." But, at this point, I know there is something wrong. I was thinking about ordering an MRI and find a doctor to check it out.

Anyway, since I will have health insurance maybe I'll look into my other ear issues. Although, I doubt it because I have to pay for everything until I reach my deductable of about $9,100. So, it's typically better NOT to have health insurance and just pay cash. Doctors usually give a huge break in price because they don't have to deal with insurance and they get the cash right away. My plan is to use a primary care doctor to help steer my around. Then I'll setup everything myself and pay cash.

Vestibular or other types of migraine related headaches have been known to be associated with tinnitus. Hell man, could even be chronic sinus issues though that is probably a long shot. Mind you I did once call it correct with a Dx of nasal polyps in less than 5 minutes but anyways......

....getting a doc to run through a series of tests so as to determine what's going on and so proceed onto what would hopefully be an effective plan of treatment seems the right thing to do.

Accessing treatment seems to be quite the hurdle to negotiate irrespective of health insurance or not. Mind you, NHS over here is in a pretty much messed up state as well. (My view from the inside haha or at least when I used to work within that circus haha).

Vestibular or other types of migraine related headaches have been known to be associated with tinnitus. Hell man, could even be chronic sinus issues though that is probably a long shot. Mind you I did once call it correct with a Dx of nasal polyps in less than 5 minutes but anyways......

....getting a doc to run through a series of tests so as to determine what's going on and so proceed onto what would hopefully be an effective plan of treatment seems the right thing to do.

Accessing treatment seems to be quite the hurdle to negotiate irrespective of health insurance or not. Mind you, NHS over here is in a pretty much messed up state as well. (My view from the inside haha or at least when I used to work within that circus haha).
I normally don't have sinus issues. But, I could have problems that I'm not aware of since I've broken my nose several times. One side is quite restricted.

I've also had lots of head trauma over the years. So, there could be issues from that as old injuries come back to bite you as you get older. :)

I've had REALLY bad problems with doctors. Nearly every time I have gone in they look at my healthy diet, my vitals, my BMI, etc, etc, etc and say you are the healthiest person that's walked through our doors. Then they just brush off whatever problem I'm having. If I persist they think I'm a nuisance patient and write me a BS prescription just to get me out of their hair.

I used to have great vision. But, I'm in my 50s now. I can not see anywhere as good long distance as I used to and I have to wear reading glasses to use the computer or read anything now. I thought maybe my headaches were sight related or it made my headaches worse. So, I went and got an eye exam with all the tests. But, they said everything looks great. They said my distance vision is normal, I could use some reading glasses, and I only have a minor astigmatism. Yet, I have known eye damage, from getting a screw in my eye, that left scars. But, the DR didn't even notice that. Here, it's like everybody is going through the motions. But, very few actually do what they are supposed to do. Then when someone dies they say why didn't this person seek help for their medical problem.

I went ahead and ordered glasses from them so we'll see what shows up. But, I'm also looking into getting a trial lens set and a nice pair of trial glasses. Then I can do my own prescriptions. Or, I might just use the trial glasses with the lenses that work the best and rotate the cylinder lens to correct my astigmatism. I take care of everything else myself anyway. I might as well do my own glasses too. :)

History of head trauma could have an involvement, but hey I'm just long distance postulating here so I might as well be flipping a coin....

It's such a common theme, patients getting mugged off by their doctors. Workload pressures such as patient numbers, targets to meat don't help but even so the way some can be so dismissive can be beyond a lack of duty of care. I've had patients whose doctors had missed the warning signs of cancers, and one notable patient suffering with pulmonary oedema. It's a lottery sometimes when you get to see them regarding as to whether they will be acting clinically astute.

That trial lens set plus glasses seems interesting. Though personally I still wouldn't forgo any checks at the opticians as you never know what they might find. I had them picking up an issue in both my eyeballs a few yrs back which required laser bilateral irridotomy.

I'm really sorry that you and Claudia have to go through this. I can't really relate to it and unlike Galen, I know very little about it, but it must be miserable.

You were in the military at one time, correct? And by the way, thank you for your service. Is there a way that you could just go and use the VA medical Care? Is there a VA medical center near you?

Just wanted to say this sounds very much like what I’ve experienced when I’ve had a sinus infection (including the headaches). I know such infections can become chronic. Just a thought that you might want to get checked out. 😊

I'm really sorry that you and Claudia have to go through this. I can't really relate to it and unlike Galen, I know very little about it, but it must be miserable.

You were in the military at one time, correct? And by the way, thank you for your service. Is there a way that you could just go and use the VA medical Care? Is there a VA medical center near you?
Thank you. The media portrays the VA medical center as helping all veterans. That's not true. I do not have a service connected problem and I own a house so my assets are above their cut off limit. They will not see me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Never being satisfied is driving me crazy. Ive finally stopped blaming other people for things that bother me and recognize those as me problems but people in my life could help by doing simple things like not putting things where they don't belong.

Websites that shrink the useable amount of page space due to keeping their banner always on the top of everything. It's soooo irritating and stupid. Many times I just leave the website.

Latest posts

Back