What drives you crazy

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing, that really has really annoyed me in my life; is when someone recognizes that I am a lonely person and starts lecturing me about what an inadequate, sad human being I am and then just proceeds to lecture me about what I need to change in my life and how if I just did what they told me to do I would become a popular person through their sort of informal life-coaching. Often, I don't agree with the ideologies these people have and what they want from life or they are someone who's life is in a mess themselves and yet they are telling me about how I should live my life. I have had situations in my life where these things start happening to me.

One thing, that really has really annoyed me in my life; is when someone recognizes that I am a lonely person and starts lecturing me about what an inadequate, sad human being I am and then just proceeds to lecture me about what I need to change in my life and how if I just did what they told me to do I would become a popular person through their sort of informal life-coaching. Often, I don't agree with the ideologies these people have and what they want from life or they are someone who's life is in a mess themselves and yet they are telling me about how I should live my life. I have had situations in my life where these things start happening to me.
You just mentioned something that drives me crazy. I don't like it when people do victim blaming. There are many times in my life where I wish I would have listened to my own better judgment instead of listening to others because evidently my self esteem wasn't high enough to trust my own choices. Plenty of people have advice and I'm glad you weren't influenced by what others told you to do.

Another thing that really annoys me is a lot of self help gurus.
Mainly because self help gurus push this baloney that if everyone would just "grind" enough and believe in their own potential enough they could achieve savant like success in their life. This kind of has a lot to do with the "Ten thousand hour rule", i.e the idea popularized by Malcolm Gladwell that anyone can become a top level talent in almost any area if they just put in Ten thousand hours of "deliberate practise". I got highly into this B.S. at one point in my life, there were at least three or four books that I came across in bookshops promoting this belief and now It turns out that it is based on highly flawed studies and I wasted a lot of time believing in this B.S.

One thing that should annoy everyone on this forum, is how in the British Press, whenever someone commits some really heinous crime the British tabloids will often call that person a loner and use that epithet to cast all kinds of aspersions on lonely people. I can't stand any of the Mainstream media in Britain or in the western world in general. In Britain if you were a lonely person they used to call you a loner or a billy-no-mates or some other such term and use it to imply that there must be something wrong with you as a person.

Another thing that really annoys me is a lot of self help gurus.
Mainly because self help gurus push this baloney that if everyone would just "grind" enough and believe in their own potential enough they could achieve savant like success in their life. This kind of has a lot to do with the "Ten thousand hour rule", i.e the idea popularized by Malcolm Gladwell that anyone can become a top level talent in almost any area if they just put in Ten thousand hours of "deliberate practise". I got highly into this B.S. at one point in my life, there were at least three or four books that I came across in bookshops promoting this belief and now It turns out that it is based on highly flawed studies and I wasted a lot of time believing in this B.S.
I thought the whole 10 thousand hour thing was what Nikola Tesla said anyway.

It was a swedish professor who came up with the Ten thousand hour rule. Now many in that field of science believe it to be a flawed study. Tbh I think that the Swedish guy who came up with that idea was more motivated by being politically correct. Many people on the far left don't like the whole idea of natural aptitude as a concept, because it goes against the idea of equality in their minds.

That is another good topic. Just as an example, I have fibromyalgia and I am by no means handicapped by it, but I do have flares and they are quite uncomfortable and I grab for the aleve. If you eat any breads, they are supposed to be a whole wheat because of the way they break down in your system and you don't get a sugar high and white breads or white noodles or white rice are pretty much forbidden. It might apply to some people, but guess which one gives me the fibroflare and I'll give you a hint that it isn't the White bread. And actually, all of that is pretty much a no-no. We aren't all the same.

Not only in England, because it happens in the United states, too. If there is a mass murderer or serial killer or someone who has assassinated someone that is powerful, they are often referred to as a loner. But there are many horrible things done by people who are very big socializers and who are looked up to. Who is the serial killer from California who was well respected and an outgoing person and was poised to be a good political candidate?

Yeah, I’m a dummy. Funny thing is I was convinced I had read this so I dug out my son’s copy of his autobiography last night. When he asked me what I was doing he was like “just google it.” I refused but he still searched it and yep I was wrong but Hereward had already corrected me. I’m stubborn and a dummy 🤪

Here's another of my "favorites":

How you're forced to pick what you want to do for the rest of your life, when you're too young, immature, naive, and inexperienced to really understand what anything is, what your choices really mean, and what your criteria for choosing should be.

Then you pick the wrong choice, because you're young, and don't know anything, including the way the world works, and yourself, and society is like "oh, well I guess you're screwed now, lol."

Thanks! :rolleyes:
Why is it for the rest of our life? People change careers all the time. People go back to college all the time. Why are you screwed when there are so many programs for adult education?

I get that college is expensive and that's probably where you might be going with this, but there are definitely other options.

But, some people do know from an early age what they want to do with the rest of their life. I did...but I didn't do it...and I still want to do that, though I've altered it so not as much education is involved. My son has known since he was 10 what he wants to do with his life. 5 years later, he has still not changed his mind at all. He even has back up plans. He has put himself on the fast track to get exactly where he wants to be and he is also working towards his backup plans, just in case.
Now, my other kid....he's a different story. He has no idea what he wants to do. Everyone knew it would either be math or science related. He opted for science, but he is also a politics nut, so he is double majoring. He will have plenty of options. He is also working with a job coach to figure out exactly what he wants to do and where he wants to go. He will eventually go into politics, though, he does know that much.

My point is that it's never too late. I certainly am not doing what I wanted to do right now, what I've wanted to do for most of my life, but I still have plans to do something in that field.

Last edited:
Strange cats laying on my car. I know the little ******* sprayed it again because he smelled my cats again. Now when I get home my cats will be on it again...like flies on honeysuckle. Because of the cat spray, cat tracks, tree sap, and bird honeysuckle I’ve been to the car wash twice this week. I’m not going again. **** it to hell! Why do cats like getting on cars?

How in America, they're always going on about how "free" we are, or how much "freedom" we have.

It's taken me a while to really understand what they mean - what it seems to REALLY mean, is "you're on your own, and no one cares". It's doublespeak. They get people to buy into it because they use the word to conjure up images of poor countries ruled by military dictators, and they use it to scare and distract people, like "you don't want to be like those countries, do you? In America we have FREEDOM!" Then what they really do, is destroy the social safety net, create policies that make upward mobility harder, and other terrible things that reversed all the progress we made in standards of living in the 30 years after WW2. What they really mean by "freedom" is hyper-individualism, every man for himself, survival of the fittest - and I feel like it's making everything get worse, go backwards, making our country more and more uncivilized. And it gets me sometimes, because I keep thinking with all this science and technology, it could be better than this, it doesn't have to be this bad, in fact, it was better than this already. Then we regressed.

Ironically, in hyper-individualism, you're actually very much NOT free, because the more "on your own" you are because the social safety net is in bad shape and upward mobility is harder, the more you're forced to do whatever makes money instead of what you're really interested in learning and doing - the more your life's purpose is dictated to you as mere survival, instead of actually being free to follow your curiosity and enjoyment. "Freedumb" is more like it.

But if you try to explain any of this to all the flag-waving zombies, the "temporarily embarrassed millionaires", they'll just brush you off and call you a communist. They're totally brainwashed, and it's by design. Capitalism isn't just an economic system in this country, it's a cult, and it either rewards or punishes people based not on good and evil, but on being the "right" type of person or not, or just by being lucky or not. It would be nice if we could understand that not everyone has the same genetics or the same interests, instead of making everyone conform to the interests that make money, but telling them to screw off if they don't have the genetics or the interests for it.

I'm not even saying everyone should just be given whatever, but if everyone could have enough that would be nice. Even if things stayed as they were in the 30 or so years after WW2, or how things were in the '90s when we thought things were getting better because the Cold War was over and technology saved the day, would be a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
How in America, they're always going on about how "free" we are, or how much "freedom" we have.

It's taken me a while to really understand what they mean - what it seems to REALLY mean, is "you're on your own, and no one cares". It's doublespeak. They get people to buy into it because they use the word to conjure up images of poor countries ruled by military dictators, and they use it to scare and distract people, like "you don't want to be like those countries, do you? In America we have FREEDOM!" Then what they really do, is destroy the social safety net, create policies that make upward mobility harder, and other terrible things. What they really mean by "freedom" is hyper-individualism, every man for himself, survival of the fittest - and I feel like it's making everything get worse, go backwards, making our country more and more uncivilized. And it gets me sometimes, because I keep thinking with all this science and technology, it could be better than this, it doesn't have to be this bad, in fact, it was better than this already. Then we regressed.

Ironically, in hyper-individualism, you're actually very much NOT free. "Freedumb" is more like it.
Never been to the USA, but it's how the USA is often portrayed here.
I assume that kind of freedom is ideal if you are successful, well off, etc.
In that case you will be clever enough to set aside a big chunk of your income for all kind of insurances, which will be more expensive because they do not benefit from the economy of scale.
You can then spend your money exactly as you like.

Here in Europe we pay lots of taxes, but a large chunk of it goes to social security, which is nice when you get ill, or lose your job.

Many Americans "Think" they are "free", since our 2nd Amendment to the Bill of Rights was supposed to keep citizens armed if they wished to be. Thing is that right was supposed to be used to quell government tyranny, which is where we are at now, but since the Civil War, The US government is huge, with up to 30 percent of people working for it. Firearms only work as intended if people actually used them, but I doubt that will ever occur again.

Strange cats laying on my car. I know the little ******* sprayed it again because he smelled my cats again. Now when I get home my cats will be on it again...like flies on honeysuckle. Because of the cat spray, cat tracks, tree sap, and bird honeysuckle I’ve been to the car wash twice this week. I’m not going again. **** it to hell! Why do cats like getting on cars?
Cats like to be above the surroundings for protection and pouncing on prey. Also engine heat.

Cats like to be above the surroundings for protection and pouncing on prey. Also engine heat.
Well she's not telling you everything. This is

Claudia1794's​

vehicle. Yeah, it all makes sense now.

iu

Latest posts

Back