What life lessons did you learn the hard way?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its good that you stopped doing for the undeserving.
I am a proponent of what goes around comes around. Maybe they are undeserving, but sooner or later you are going to help those that deserve it. You never know when it is going to come back in your favor.

I'd rather take a hit than fail the deserving. But if I do take a hit from you, you won't be helped twice. ;) I am empathetic, not stupid.

Last edited:
I am a proponent of what goes around comes around. Maybe they are undeserving, but sooner or later you going to help those that deserve it. You never know when it is going to come back in your favor.

I'd rather take a hit than fail the deserving. But if I do take a hit from you, you won't be helped twice. ;) I am empathetic, not stupid.
See for me its I give what I get. If someone is good to me then I reciprocate that until something changes.

See for me its I give what I get. If someone is good to me then I reciprocate that until something changes.
I can get on board with that, but eventually someone is going to do you wrong or at least in your eyes, be it intentional or not. What happens then? Doesn't retaliation just perpetuate?

I had an uncle that likely did the most harm anyone has done to me. He mistakenly made an assumption about something he thought I did that I didn't, and his reaction was aggressive, physical, threatening, and undeserved.

I had the means to defend myself but I'd have had to hurt him. Since he never vindicated me he would have seen it as guilt on guilt.

It was never resolved. Time apart left it forgotten... but not by me. If I had perpetuated it we never would have healed the relationship. He's my uncle. What could I do but put it behind us?

Too many people react to assumption as fact. There are no resolutions if no one is willing to take the hit.

Yes, most people are really selfish. I am a selfish person. My oldest sister is like this. She will go out of her way to help and accommodate people. It drives me crazy because I know that it is like you said one-sided. Its good that you stopped doing for the undeserving.
Maybe, just maybe in this scrambled up universe there's a little room where everyone's good deeds are recorded and kept until the end of time where you get an "attaboy" for every old lady you helped across the street or when you gave that homeless person a few bucks. Maybe there'll come a time when you wished you would have been kind to that soul that needed a few encouraging words...maybe, just maybe...somebody is keeping track....

Maybe, just maybe in this scrambled up universe there's a little room where everyone's good deeds are recorded and kept until the end of time where you get an "attaboy" for every old lady you helped across the street or when you gave that homeless person a few bucks. Maybe there'll come a time when you wished you would have been kind to that soul that needed a few encouraging words...maybe, just maybe...somebody is keeping track....
While that sounds sweet and a bit far fetched I do understand what you are saying. I help elderly people if I see they need help. I donate money, food, and whatever else I have to charities. I will buy a homeless person a meal. I just meant that there are people that will take advantage and use and always expect more from those that are willing to give their time and money. I don't care about the money but at the same time it gets to a point when a person has to be responsible. I am very selfish with my time it is limited. As far as my sister goes, she has a gift for finding very needy people and taking them on as her dependents. If being a sucker gets me a gold star and an "attaboy" I'll do without.

I can get on board with that, but eventually someone is going to do you wrong or at least in your eyes, be it intentional or not. What happens then? Doesn't retaliation just perpetuate?

I had an uncle that likely did the most harm anyone has done to me. He mistakenly made an assumption about something he thought I did that I didn't, and his reaction was aggressive, physical, threatening, and undeserved.

I had the means to defend myself but I'd have had to hurt him. Since he never vindicated me he would have seen it as guilt on guilt.

It was never resolved. Time apart left it forgotten... but not by me. If I had perpetuated it we never would have healed the relationship. He's my uncle. What could I do but put it behind us?

Too many people react to assumption as fact. There are no resolutions if no one is willing to take the hit.
Ive taken my fair share of hits.

Never try to put a fire out on a gasoline spout by blowing on it.
I was working on a san rail and temporary put the gas tank in which was located above the engine. I forgot to tighten the hose clamp. When I started the engine the hose blew off and threw gas all over the engine. It ignited and caught fire. My first thought was to grab the gas tank and run away from the fire with it so it wouldn't blow up.

But, the fire was on the end of the fuel line attached to the tank I was carrying while leave a trail of gas and fire behind me. I finally stopped and looked. I was like...... WAAAAAAASADSDDJHF!!!!! and grabbed the end of the hose and blew out the fire. Then I thought that was sure stupid. Then I ran back and put the engine fire out. Ha! ha!

It is really hard when you find yourself all alone with no one to turn to, but im glad I found you, LOVELY people !
I am in a really tough situation, like a sinking ship trying to remain afloat trying to survive, where do I go where do finish or start, I wonder sometimes what is the point of it all and I tell myself just take it one step at a time

So to anyone who might be reading my comment, you are brave and you are beautiful, kindness is within
take it one step at a time, one day at a time ♥️

It is really hard when you find yourself all alone with no one to turn to, but im glad I found you, LOVELY people !
I am in a really tough situation, like a sinking ship trying to remain afloat trying to survive, where do I go where do finish or start, I wonder sometimes what is the point of it all and I tell myself just take it one step at a time

So to anyone who might be reading my comment, you are brave and you are beautiful, kindness is within
take it one step at a time, one day at a time ♥️
Hi there! I can understand where you're coming from, kind of in the same state of mind. That's why I'm here also to just talk to people and get through life!
Welcome to the site! PM me if you need to talk. 😊

That reminds me of this I heard a few months ago: "Don't react; Respond." And it made me really think of how I handle things.

Now that quote, I do like - short, sharp but all the same carries a great weight of importance.

Latest posts

Back