What made you smile today?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw three out of the four transplant moss roses, had a little flower today.
Hopefully this means the watering is having a positive effect after all.
I'd never (knowingly) come across a moss rose. They are gorgeous.

Do you play music to your plants?, my old lady uses this Spotify playlist and says it works wonders.

Research reveals that plants do respond well to music, specifically music that contains voices in the 115-250hz range (this is most likely a female voice).

Get Callie round to sing to them .... if nothing else at least they'll learn some 'colourful' language ;)

A funny text exchange with a very close lady friend.

I just got out of the hospital after a little scare (spent the night)....thought I was having a heart issue (turns out it's only my esophagus, needs a stent, etc).

It went like this:

Friend: "You home yet?"
Me: "Just got back, yes"
"You need anything?"
"I feel weak, I think I'm gonna need a sponge bath!"
"Umm, you'd have a real heart attack for sure!"

I went for a run this morning (done by 8:30 AM!) and it looks like someone else had the same idea to get their exercise before the heat...

I saw a Bernese Mountain Dog in the park today. The dog seemed smaller than usual for the breed, must have either been a female or a one or two year old puppy. They were very cute 🐶 well worth getting out there early for!

I went with my Mom to the fireworks display last night, marking the 75th anniversary of the founding of my Grandparents' hometown - well, they were born in the big city, but they lived in this town for the majority of their lives, and were among the originals on the block.

The weather was nice, and it was a surprisingly big fireworks show with a grand finale and everything. I'm glad I saw it. It was a nice way to wind summer down.

Also I saw the big moss rose that came in at my Grandma's house, one like we remember her having growing up. We hadn't seen this type of moss rose in years, only for it to come back now so robust.

I took a few pictures of it, and also of a brownish-green grasshopper I found in the lawn.

I caught a grasshopper yesterday. It was big and brown, and I wanted to get him out of the grass before I mowed it, because I didn't want to run him over.

Unfortunately, this grasshopper appeared to be injured - probably the only reason I could catch him, because I tried to catch other grasshoppers and they were much too fast for me, they already jumped away as soon as they sensed me getting closer, much less actually grabbing them. But this one made no attempt to jump away.

I put him in a daylily, and hopefully out of harm's way. Hopefully he was able to walk it off.

I caught a grasshopper yesterday. It was big and brown, and I wanted to get him out of the grass before I mowed it, because I didn't want to run him over.

Unfortunately, this grasshopper appeared to be injured - probably the only reason I could catch him, because I tried to catch other grasshoppers and they were much too fast for me, they already jumped away as soon as they sensed me getting closer, much less actually grabbing them. But this one made no attempt to jump away.

I put him in a daylily, and hopefully out of harm's way. Hopefully he was able to walk it off.
I’m always stopping the mower for critters lol.

I’m always stopping the mower for critters lol.

Yeah, I wasn't as careful when I was younger.
But I've realized that I like insects and other small animals like that (and other types too).
I feel like they have a right to life, at least something better than being randomly squashed or mowed.

Plus, they're cool-looking and interesting. They help give the outdoors some character.

(I'm talking about the friendly insects. The less friendly/more dangerous ones, they serve an ecological purpose, but I keep my distance.)

I had a rabbit do something vaguely similar. It was laying in the grass as I was mowing. I just figured that eventually he/she would run off because of the noise and closeness. It wasn't running and I began to wonder if it was injured.

As near as I was able to determine, the rabbit was fine and just thought it was camouflaged enough that I couldn't see it. They can blend in pretty well in the brown grass but it just doesn't work as well with green grass.

I ended up mowing around the rabbit, leaving it his tiny patch to hide in and it left when it was ready, after I was done mowing.

I had a rabbit do something vaguely similar. It was laying in the grass as I was mowing. I just figured that eventually he/she would run off because of the noise and closeness. It wasn't running and I began to wonder if it was injured.

As near as I was able to determine, the rabbit was fine and just thought it was camouflaged enough that I couldn't see it. They can blend in pretty well in the brown grass but it just doesn't work as well with green grass.

I ended up mowing around the rabbit, leaving it his tiny patch to hide in and it left when it was ready, after I was done mowing.

Last year I was gone for a few days, and I think I hadn't mowed for a week before that.
During that time, the grass grew tall enough that a mother rabbit must have thought it was a good spot to dig a home. I was surprised how big she was able to build it, it was a complete burrow dug into the grass. I think all in all she had 3 baby bunnies with her, before they moved on.

And it didn't even hurt the lawn either. After they left, I was able to mow the area normally again, and the grass recovered without any problems.

Latest posts

Back