what OS do you use?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What OS do you use?

• Windows

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • OS X or other Mac

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Linux-based

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • BSD-based

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Windows 8.1 on my new laptop. It sucks. Who are the idiots behind this nightmare?

Windows XP was the best OS for their platform.

Already saving for a Mac book. ASAP.

mickey said:
Tealeaf said:
Now posting from Korora Linux 21.

What can you tell me about Korora, or should I google it?

If Fedora were aimed more at being Linux newbie-friendly and stable. Uses YUM package manager. Not very well-documented yet.

Cavey said:
wolvesjr said:
Using Windows 7 and desperately avoiding Windows 8.

It's nowhere near as bad as you'd imagine. It used to be awful, but since it got updated to 8.1 and the start menu got added back in, it's pretty much fine. It's certainly far faster to start up than Windows 7. My multimedia desktop boots from cold in less than 10 seconds and that's without fast boot being enabled.

Gotta agree with Cavey on this. I am on Windows 8.1 as well.

My boot time has been cut in third on an older notebook computer with Linux. The problems with speed are mitigated, too. *pimping* :D

Kubuntu on everything that matters, although I run a VM of XP for Netflix until they can get their Linux/DRM issues sorted.

Unfortunately, depending on where I find work I may end up having to go back to Windows for my job :(

I use OS X and Windows 7, both, on my Mac. I started by using primarily windows, but gradually migrated to mostly OS X.

[quote='I|]
Kubuntu on everything that matters, although I run a VM of XP for Netflix until they can get their Linux/DRM issues sorted.
[/quote]

You should try being in Canada, because Netflix Canada requires Windows 8 or 8.1. It has no browser player and must be accessed through a Metro app.

Another product, NHL Gamecenter Live, is not avai8lable on computers at all and must be accessed through a tablet or smartphone. Recently the Canadian rights were purchased by Rogers, a cable company, and Rogers is deliberately blocking access to that product by non-cable internet customers of other ISPs.

mickey said:
[quote='I|]

You should try being in Canada, because Netflix Canada requires Windows 8 or 8.1. It has no browser player and must be accessed through a Metro app.

Another product, NHL Gamecenter Live, is not avai8lable on computers at all and must be accessed through a tablet or smartphone. Recently the Canadian rights were purchased by Rogers, a cable company, and Rogers is deliberately blocking access to that product by non-cable internet customers of other ISPs.
[/quote]

There's no doubt that they will go in that direction in the states as well...at which point I'll make the same decision I made re: the cable companies - I'll close my account and find another hobby :p

I currently have a dual boot system. I use a gnu/linux system (mint xfce 17.1 currently) for everything except gaming (windows 7 for that). Wish I could get rid of windows for good but alas, not completely viable yet. Even though an impressive amount of games can now be played on linux, I don't install proprietary software on that system. I considered having a separate linux system just for gaming, but a few of my favorite games still aren't available yet.

As for my linux system, considering trying the newest debian stable, or maybe linux mint debian edition. I need to stop being lazy and try them out in virtual machines since I used to be a big distro hopper and found that fun. :p

I wouldn't go with any of the Stable Debian branches for anything on your PC - you'll find that there are an awful lot of updated packages that aren't available for Debian and you'll get yourself stuck in dependency hell pretty quickly.

The *buntu flavors are usually considerably more current and you'll run into a lot fewer problems with current hardware/software.

I personally gravitate toward Kubuntu because it's pretty and it works fairly well, plus it doesn't try to suck you into the "cloud" bullshit. Of course, YMMV ;)

Humble Bundle has been absolutely indispensable for me and gaming with Linux. Of course, I'm old - I still run a lot of my old games in wine, so that helps the "fix" somewhat, but yeah, HB is awesome.

Linux mint does contain proprietary packages. Many of them. For example, it default installs Flash Player and you can easily install proprietary Nvidia display drivers.

What I dislike about mint is its Microsoft-like black box nature. While it's probably the least troublesome Linux distro for an end user who sticks to the GUI, whatever makes Mint unique is some kind of huge secret, and not only is moidifying it almost impossible, but modifying the install .iso causes you to violate copyright if you refer to your modified version as "Linux Mint." It's essentially proprietary and that's why I don't like it any more.

Latest posts

Back