What's a painful truth you've had to swallow?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one is more personal - another painful truth that I've started to realize over the last several years, is that my parents really didn't know what they were doing in life. And as a result now our lives are a mess. It's not nice, and I hate to say it. But it's the truth.

I'm not saying I'm completely innocent either. But I do hope I'm not doomed to repeat it.

Last edited:
For me it's accepting that I'll never meet people's expectations no matter what I do. I've spent a lot of time and energy fighting this thought, but I'm at a point where I can't fight it anymore. There are so many expectations in society that I wanted to live up too, but can't.
That my own family members are uncomfortable being around me, which contributes to my loneliness.

Individuals are individually locked down in their life experiences mentally.
Yes, we interact with one another, yes, we work with one another, and yes, we compromise with one another....but we all individually have our own unique ideological goals.

And while two people's goals can be similar enough to maintain a structured system for some time, it is the differential factors, the small differences, that will eventually tear the structure apart.

It is the small things that make life worth living, and it is also the small things that destroy lives.

This has, progressively lead me to social and emotional disillusion.

The most painful truth? For me it would have to be that our children are only "ours" for a very, very short time. In truth, they never really belonged to us at all. As parents our jobs are to bring them into this world and do the very best we can for them and in the end, that might not be good enough, especiallyin today's society. My most painful truth? My children are strangers to me.
~C

This one is more personal - another painful truth that I've started to realize over the last several years, is that my parents really didn't know what they were doing in life. And as a result now our lives are a mess. It's not nice, and I hate to say it. But it's the truth.

I'm not saying I'm completely innocent either. But I do hope I'm not doomed to repeat it.
Parents are human beings...just like everyone else. They're people. No one knows what they're doing in life...it's a learning process for everyone.

The hardest truth I had to swallow was accepting the fact that I'm a terrible person. A bad lawyer, a bad son, a bad partner, a bad friend, etc. No one can count on me, and I know I always let people down.

When the people in my life have a problem, it becomes my problem - I'm usually the one who has to come up with a solution.
When I have a problem, it's my problem alone - no one even wants to know.

The most painful truth? For me it would have to be that our children are only "ours" for a very, very short time. In truth, they never really belonged to us at all. As parents our jobs are to bring them into this world and do the very best we can for them and in the end, that might not be good enough, especiallyin today's society. My most painful truth? My children are strangers to me.
~C
I find this so difficult too. It hurts me that my son doesn't need me.

There's been quite a few painful truths for me in the past ten years or so. One of the more recent ones is that I can't count on family to help me when times get challenging. On the flip side, I found some lost, old friends that will help. By lost I mean people that I had lost touch with. Much easier to face challenges when you are not alone.

I think that the worst one is that I can be a real self-centred *******. That I'm easily replaceable. That I can be a rubbish husband, partner, son, brother and friend. That I can loose patience easily, that sometimes I find it hard to forgive, that I don't excel in anything etc.

Last edited:
That the problem is me and if I'm ever going to meet someone who is real, I need to get out of my shell and go find them. And I just can't take that first step on my own.

I think that the worst one is that I can be a real self-centred *******. That I'm easily replaceable. That I can be a rubbish husband, partner, son, brother and friend. That I can loose patience easily, that sometimes I find it hard to forgive, that I don't excel in anything etc.
That seems a lot. Are you sure you're not being a bit hard on yourself?

this isn't painful at all but its just something i thought would never happen. I'm happy without you, i don't need you, i don't even want you. I'm not mad at you, I'm happy for you too and still wish you the best.

i don't find truth painful at all. why should the truth be painful? unless you can't handle it.

I might not be quite the 6'6" that I like to think I am, and by some margin too.

Attachments

• 2014-09-15 00.11.58.jpg
    2014-09-15 00.11.58.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back