What's a painful truth you've had to swallow?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
priscella said:
I love your humor and you pick out your little icons so well---you have a great sense of humor... 

I knew I liked you for some reason.

giphy.gif

Ha Ha  That picture of the man shrugging--the face looks like a little kid saying----Ah Shucks---lol   Thanks....

That attraction is determined by mate value. Which is determined by competitive advantages. And you can have these things, be a jerk or an idiot, and still get rewarded in spite of it. And you can not have these things, be a decent person and try, but get punished because you just don't have the right stuff. What kind of person you are doesn't matter, all that matters is whether or not you have something that allows you to compete. People will romanticize or demonize you based on that - if you have advantages people will tell themselves a positive story about you, and if you don't, they will tell themselves a negative story about you. I think things like "love" and "romance" are just the way our minds fill in the blanks.

One thing I've noticed is that people tend to get annoyed with other people that are seen as weak. And at the same time, people also don't really fully condemn a person that's seen as strong, even if that person says or does objectionable things. They say, "well this person is a jerk, but they succeeded at xyz thing, so they're I guess they're not THAT bad..." Even if it's in the back of their minds, people will almost always give a strong person (or at least a perceived strong person) more margin for error, and it never really runs out except in extreme cases.

It's survival of the fittest. Cold, cruel Darwinistic competition. It's just like popularity was in school, and I was naive for thinking that it would ever be anything else. While I was "just being myself", which didn't help at all, the competition was playing the game. And now I can't compete. Honestly I don't even know if it would have made any difference if I tried to play the game or not. Maybe I just wasn't born with the right stuff in the first place, and I was never going to get anywhere no matter what.

There's going to be people who don't agree with this. That's fine. This is just the point of view that's the result of my observations and experiences.

That people don't change. This forum is a good example of it, lol!!!!

Rainbows said:
That people don't change. This forum is a good example of it, lol!!!!

It's no coincidence that you posted this right after my post. I seriously doubt that you just so happened to be randomly thinking about this, and just so happened to think of it at this time. For future reference, in case anyone happens to see this who is unfamiliar with the situation and thinks it's just someone making a post and I'm just randomly flipping out at them, there's a history of conflict between me and this person. Their post wasn't innocent and they have a history of using snarky remarks to start fights and kick people when they're down. They don't like me and like to invalidate me because it feeds their "good guy" ego.

So was this really necessary?  What did you hope to achieve by saying this?  How does me feeling what I feel is a truth, hurt you in any way?  Especially when it has nothing to do with you? What exactly is your problem with me anyway?

It's probably just to get a rise out of me, because you think you're "higher" and I'm "lower", just like the people who used to antagonize me in childhood. Which I guess succeeded since I responded at all, and nothing I could say to explain myself would matter since this is just an attempt to use sarcasm to mock me and not a serious attempt at debate (which I don't know how that's OK, because you're the one instigating conflict here, not me - I was just making a sincere post, and you took a passive-aggressive obvious cheap shot at me for it). You've already decided what I am and aren't interested in understanding my point of view. But still.

What I said was a truth, to me.  A painful truth I've had to swallow (well within the topic of this thread), that might help me make sense of life.  Anything is better than sitting around continuing to "just be myself", tell myself everything is random, and waiting for some kind of cosmic dumb luck that isn't coming.  But I'm not trying to impose it on anyone else or make anyone think like I do, or make anyone else do anything at all.   It's a truth, to me.  If you don't feel like it's a truth to you, that's fine.  

I support your right to free speech and to disagree.  But this goes past simple disagreeing, to obvious antagonizing. You're not trying to make a point, you're just trying to attack my character so you can feel "righteous" and "higher". Which is still free speech. I get why you said what you said, and I don't like it. But I guess it is what it is, and I'm taking a chance in sticking up for myself, even simply stating the facts in a calm tone, instead of just turning the other cheek.

The Skafish I have to agree with what you say especially when people give a lot of leave way to the stronger and (my words here) and make fun of the weaker. People fall too easily for the sparkles and forget about the real qualities that whole societies seem to be praising for--its complicated and you put it in a way that is very understandable...I had to read it about three times but this is me lacking not you but as a result I have to agree with you..thank you Priscella.

Nothing ever lasts. The little that I still cling to will also be gone one day. I will never get back the things I've already lost.

Assimilate said:
Nothing ever lasts. The little that I still cling to will also be gone one day. I will never get back the things I've already lost.

Is it practical to count your losses, or cut your losses.  Moving on, not looking back, there could be anything that is possible should it only be allowed to happen.

I discovered this one 3 nights ago - and it happened in 1972 - Mom betrayed me to the Unemployment People. I took the summer off and took Unemployment Payments - I was young and people told me it was normal to do that. And I took one math class, thinking it would make me look studious. Wrong - it made me look like a crook. But I didn't know that. And it was one of the few happy times of my life.

One day, I came home from that math class, and Mom called to me to come to her room. She handed me the phone. "It's for you," she said. "I was talking to them." The caller identified herself as Unemployment, asked if I was taking a class, told me that made me ineligible and I had to repay everything. I said, "Repay!" Mom said, "I'll pay it!" When I hung up, Mom said, "There. That's that. Now get a job."

Only 3 nights ago did I realize that Mom had called them, not the other way around. 

What does Mom have to say for herself? I'll have to wait; she died in 1983. I'm 70 now. If I get past Peter's Gate, is that ever going to be some blow-up of a reunion!

Does anybody else have sudden memories like this?

Now Jaxon I have a story its stupid but I will share it with you..When I was about 8-10 can't really place my age but anyway we had a moviehouse in the neighborhood called the Commodore Movie House and most of us young people paid our nickle and saw some kids shows---one time I went at the wrong time and saw a real scary movie that just came out called The house of Wax and I had nightmares--well anyway--during the kids movie time the ticket taker told us that for Easter they were going to have a contest to where some lucky kids would win a duck, or a rabbit or a chicken and they had them all in cages.  I fell in love with the little duck and came home and told my mom that I was going to go to church Sunday and pray to win this duck and if I had faith I know that I would win it. I love the little duck and I prayed every night for this duck. I entered the movie and got my ticket and waved it in the air saying "I am going to win this little duck because I have faith and prayed for it.. Well I won the duck and my mom already had a cage for it and food because she knew that I would win it for she had faith too. Years later my sister and I were talking about old times and she said when I won the duck mom went to the movie house and spoke to the ticket person the day before the contest and that's why I won the duck and everybody laughed at the story----I did not laugh because I thought it was a higher power that I prayed to and had faith and that story settled me into "reality".. priscella.

^ Ha! ha! Thanks for the laugh!

Okay, another funny story: A girl I sort of dated said that her apt was haunted. I laughed until I noticed that she was being serious. I wanted to get into her pants so I immediately stopped laughing and became very serious. She said that the ghosts would go and up down the stairs at night and the temperature inside kept changing. I suggested that I spend the night just in case. It worked! Ha! ha!

Always trying to help others, I screwed the stairs down tight and replaced the thermostat the next day. Magically the ghosts disappeared. Then she said that it wasn't necessary for me to stay over night any more. Dumbass!!!! Ha! Ha!

Accepting my own ugliness was..by far..the most difficult pill to swallow. For the most part, I try not to think about it, and most of the time it doesn't bother me as it once did. There are still times however when it's upsetting, but at least those are less frequent than they used to be.

I feel the same way Iceman 1978 and it has been hard to accept especially since I can remember being so different when I was younger. People get ugly with age--wrinkles and thin hair and flabby body--terrible especially when your body begins to break down so I know what you mean. priscella.

Finished said:
While you can treat people how you want to be treated, they will not treat you how you want to be treated.

Truer words never spoken.  Thank gods.  Imagine getting involved with a sadomasochist.  I do not want to be treated like they want to be treated.

^ Because they are patriotic? Ha! ha!

Without women this planet would destroy itself.

Without men this planet would thrive. But, OMG just think about all the gossip and stupid talk shows.

That any guy up to my standards will have his pick of cis girl, and definitely wouldn't choose an impostor like me if given the choice. Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Latest posts

Back