which one do you like better?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think both are good in their own ways.

The books usually have more detail. Because it's so expensive to make movies, and because the audience only has so much patience, sometimes details are trimmed down when making books into movies.

But, it is cool to see books brought to life in a movie.

I like both :)

Good question Sunflower ... difficult too. I'd say it depends Star Wars A New Hope ( @TheSkaFish that is the first one right? ) is a fantastic movie but I don't think the book would be all that entertaining same with Jaws, I actually read that and it was honeysuckle, whereas the books of Stephen King and Alan Moore to name just 2 authors are far superior to the film adaptations.

Good question Sunflower ... difficult too. I'd say it depends Star Wars A New Hope ( @TheSkaFish that is the first one right? ) is a fantastic movie but I don't think the book would be all that entertaining same with Jaws, I actually read that and it was honeysuckle, whereas the books of Stephen King and Alan Moore to name just 2 authors are far superior to the film adaptations.

Yeah, right on. In fact that's an example I was thinking of where the book is a little different from the movie.
Not in a major way, because the thing with Star Wars is, it was always intended to be a movie from the get-go, unlike say Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. But there is more detail in the book - mostly little stuff though, not major plot points.

I did enjoy Star Wars as a book actually - but, I'm not exactly impartial 😄

Yeah, right on. In fact that's an example I was thinking of where the book is a little different from the movie.
Not in a major way, because the thing with Star Wars is, it was always intended to be a movie from the get-go, unlike say Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. But there is more detail in the book - mostly little stuff though, not major plot points.

I did enjoy Star Wars as a book actually - but, I'm not exactly impartial 😄
Every time I see Leia saying "Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope" it brings a lump to my throat I don't think in the book it would, as it'd be me saying it in my head.... she sez it in the book right?

Sometimes they really butcher the movie. Catch 22 is an example of that. Great book, terrible movie, because they just left so much out that I don’t understand how someone who didn’t read the book would make sense of the story.

The books are by far always better than the movies. The movies are usually a lot dumber and badly made.
With notable exceptions. At least I now know how Lord of the Ring ends. Didn't have the time to finish them when I started them. In my defense, I was about 12.

I like them both, but for different reasons.

Books have more detail. That hasn't changed, probably ever, or at the very least not since Proust. 😂

However, film is more convenient to time constraints for people who live busy lives.

While it is often true that due to budget and time constraints that film adaptations tend to lack, summarize, or completely skip over certain aspects of the story, it is that way because that's the limitation of the medium. Similarly, the limitation of the medium of text and subtext is that inflection is lost between the lines and is left to ambiguous interpretation lest clarified by the writer. 🤷‍♂️

I have this problem, actually. 😅
I'm very well aware that I often accidentally come across as vague or emotionally inconsistent through the medium of text and subtext.
The trouble is, that I have a tendency to forget that that happens.
It just isn't in my writing style to remember that that happens.

I do almost everything communication-wise almost entirely through improvisation. I'm making it up as I go along. When you're a creative person, that's just your formality of zen. Painters have Abstract Art, Comedians have Improv. Comedy, Musicians have improvised solo sections (particularly in Jazz), and I write the way that I write and talk the way that I talk. MOST of the time, the whole thing is just off the top of my head in the moment.

It's actually part of how I've maintained being in the practice of having mostly what I call Weightless Thoughts. Or thoughts without feeling attached to them. So in some essence, much of the time, yes, there is no emotional attachment to it. Not unless I'm doing something particularly artistically articulate.

Latest posts

Back