Who had the most significant impact on the person you have become?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worst was my old man walking away when I was 8.
The best was his Mom, my Granny who raised me while my Mom worked daily at a bank.
My busted marriage was the one that put the ice in my veins.

All I ever wanted was to love & be loved..,,turned out to be a tall order.

Everyone & especially toddlers are deeply damaged when the parents split.
Even worse if their druggy/drunks or violent or sexual perverts.

I pray Hell is real for child-molesters.

Mine was my father. His constant beatings beat the self-esteem out of me. When I write beating, I might write torture. For example, after hitting me relentlessly, he held me up by the hair to the height of a light fixture, beat me some more, and dropped me to the ground. Hitting me was a nightly thing. My mom would say he beats you because he loves you. Years went by. Did I ask him why? Yes! He stormed out of my house and died the next day of a heart attack. I'm a borderline personality and now, later in life, a shut-in.
To me...that warrants justifiable homicide ! I'm fuming over here ! He got off cheap butSweetheart YOU are free from anymore harm now.
Please get back into the world & find the joys again....WE ALL LOVE YOU !!!

I bet half of the World's population would vanish if God removed all the creeps at once.
Help us dear Lord, Amen
Make it so.

Last edited:
Also, Buddhism.
Monks, I've either learned from in person or through simply reading the sutras.

The attempt at eradicating human defilements takes a lot of dedication, patience and discipline.

Still working on it. (y)

Last edited:
Hard to say, I was bullied a lot as a kid, maybe some of those kids.
At home I did not feel much support.
But I don't want to put all the blame for finding it so hard to be happy / enjoying things on other people.
I'm sure it also has to do with my own character, I think the melancholy was always there.
Also, by looking for someone to blame I'm running away from fixing things, because those kids that bullied me can't 'unbully' me, etc.

I can't really think of anyone who "had an impact" on my life. My parents basically left me to my own stupid devices, and I ended up a complete and utter loser. I think the thing that I got most of out of living for almost 61 years is that I don't matter. Frankly speaking, I don't know what's worse, a father who spent so much time berating and hurting their son, or one who completely ignored them. My dad hardly gave me the time of day, and when he passed I only shed a few tears for my mom's loss, whatever that was.

The kids in grade school and high school who singled me out to be isolated, picked on, and bullied made me what I am today.
But like the cockroaches at Yucca Flats after the blast...I'm still here...I remain...

Little bit of a babble, but the only person I will give credit to for impacting my life in any magnitude is my best friend, she is the light of my life and always will be. I always say that we found each other when we both needed each other the most. We really balanced each other out so well, and we had such a deeply profound understanding. I've never felt more loved in this world until the day I met her. She
committed suicide
last summer and it completely changed everything for me. But even before that, she still impacted my life in a huge, positive way while she was here. Now, I just try to live for her, and I try to embody everything she was best I can. Her smile, and the way she'd light up a room. The way she'd turn a stranger into a friend. The way she'd simply just be there, and listen. All of what she was, I hope I can do for others.

Two individuals I met 5 years ago when I first got sober, who I've remained acquaintances with. They really live their lives to the fullest, in a beautiful kind of "we never know what is really coming next" sort of way. I really appreciate what they put out into the world.

Matt Kahn's videos popped up on YouTube one day, and I spent weeks after work feeling peaceful listening to him. That had a strong impact on my reaction to negativity and brought on an acceptance I didn't know I could have.

And as selfish and silly as this is going to sound, I'm going to list myself as well. My choices, struggles, mentality and willingness to change have brought me to where I am now. The people around me have certainly helped push, but ultimately owning my path has gotten me here.

Latest posts

Back