Windows hangs while scanning

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sanal

I am using Windows Xp service pack 2

You must be knowing that windows will scan drives (especially default drive where windows is installed) for errors after an abnormal shutdown ie due to power failure. SO while scanning, it got stuck at 76% and never moved a bit from there. I had to reboot manually by pressing the restart button.

Again it seems the same problem while loading so I had to abort the scan and log in.

There is also a weird sound and its always the same kind.. it sounds somewhat like this tr.tr.tr.tr. and its always 4 times frequent

Thought its coz of fragmented files n I started defragmenting. Again it got stuck in between..

I had to restart by pressing restart button (ctrl+alt+del is also not working)

Then i thought its a virus problem coz i uninstalled mcafee last week..
I have a malware removal tool called "malwarebytes antimalware".. I tried scanning c:\ and again it got stuck by making that creepy sound on scanning this file c:\windows\$hf_mig$\KB922760\update\update.exe

I had to reboot n this time i tried opening that folder inside windows. Windows folder opened without any problem But when I click on $hf_mig$, it made that tr.tr.tr.tr. sound nd got stuck again. I tried several times but result was same. Since Alt+ctrl+del is also not working, i have to reboot by pressing restart button and its pretty annoying.

I thought of uninstalling that update KB922760 and it seems to be an old update made in 2006 and if I uninstall that, none of my softwares will work properly.

I cant delete $hf_mig$ folder too coz its the folder which saves all the updates.

Any solutions.??

Thankz in advance

Sanal said:
I am using Windows Xp service pack 2

You must be knowing that windows will scan drives (especially default drive where windows is installed) for errors after an abnormal shutdown ie due to power failure. SO while scanning, it got stuck at 76% and never moved a bit from there. I had to reboot manually by pressing the restart button.

Again it seems the same problem while loading so I had to abort the scan and log in.

There is also a weird sound and its always the same kind.. it sounds somewhat like this tr.tr.tr.tr. and its always 4 times frequent

Thought its coz of fragmented files n I started defragmenting. Again it got stuck in between..

I had to restart by pressing restart button (ctrl+alt+del is also not working)

Then i thought its a virus problem coz i uninstalled mcafee last week..
I have a malware removal tool called "malwarebytes antimalware".. I tried scanning c:\ and again it got stuck by making that creepy sound on scanning this file c:\windows\$hf_mig$\KB922760\update\update.exe

I had to reboot n this time i tried opening that folder inside windows. Windows folder opened without any problem But when I click on $hf_mig$, it made that tr.tr.tr.tr. sound nd got stuck again. I tried several times but result was same. Since Alt+ctrl+del is also not working, i have to reboot by pressing restart button and its pretty annoying.

I thought of uninstalling that update KB922760 and it seems to be an old update made in 2006 and if I uninstall that, none of my softwares will work properly.

I cant delete $hf_mig$ folder too coz its the folder which saves all the updates.

Any solutions.??

Thankz in advance

I'm no computer guru, but I highly suggest that you do an immediate back up of your PC, either to disk, or on-line storage. Then, I'd try a System Restore. You might also want to do a registry scan to make sure that they're aren't any viruses imbedded in the registry keys. Those are sometimes not detected by even the best scanning tools. Also, even if they are, the means to regenerate itself may also be in other places on your PC. I had that to happen once. Took reformatting to get rid of it. :club:

Before you attempt another defrag, make sure that you have stopped ALL processes (except of course, your desktop). This might not be an option if you can't pull up task manager. Try pulling it up manually if the ctl/alt/dlt function won't work. If there is anything running in the background (processes), the defrag won't complete.
You could also go the the MS website and do a scan for any updates. You may be missing a critcal update.
It's hard to say, really...you could even have a driver that's malfunctioning. I've had a driver malfunction to totally shut my PC down. Have you installed anything thing new recently?
Play it smart- back your system up FIRST, then do a System Restore.
I hope this helps. :)

Eve

It sounds to me like a bad hard drive, or a bad hard drive sector.

However I have seen programs incorrectly read and write data, and cause some of the same problems, but I would bet it is a drive error.

I would recommend replacing the hard drive if you can, and the problem should be resolved.

I agree with Kylie.. your drive is probably dying. Replace the hard drive as soon as you can.

That TR TR TR sound and the hangs are very characteristic of a hard drive that is about to shuffle off this mortal coil.

Hey, are you doing te scan in windows?
Not sure if it would make a difference, but I would try doing a disk scan before windows boots.

To do this run this command "sfc /scanonce"

Wait, NVM

Latest posts

Back