Words of Wisdom from the Dark Knight

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When a fictional character imparts words of wisdom, shouldn’t we actually credit the author?
In the world of DC and Marvel the author be he writer or artist doesn't even own his own work let alone get credited for it.

Do you think people idolise fictional characters too much?
Actually, i can give you about 20 reasons why real people suck, while fictional characters don't. Namely the fact that somewhere along the line? People will almost ALWAYS let you down. Those that won't you can count on one hand during the course of an existence.
If it's good advice or it's inspiring, what does it matter if it's Winston Churchill who said it, rather than Bugs Bunny? Doesn't make it any less valid.

...so?
I don't see any harm in it.
I have a lot of admiration for heroic figures. They set impossible standards to adhere to, like say, Superman or Captain America.
So, if I can only attain 10% of improvement towards their character, I already become a better human being.
It's not idolization, though. That would mean putting them before your own self and worshipping the ground they walk on. The same can be done with real life people, for example celebrity stalkers. That's far more toxic.
Not very different than admiring Plato, or Socrates, or Nietzsche, or any other.

Last edited:
Do you think people favour fictional characters because they can’t find or don’t know about real people who are “heroes”?
People know plenty about real life people who can be considered "heroes". The difference is literary creations or fictional heroes have fewer perceivable flaws.
Mother Theresa was canonized. To many, she is considered a hero and a saint. That's while ignoring the multiple reports of her mistreating and sometimes abusing some of her charges.
Sherlock Holmes never tried to rob a bank.
THAT'S the difference.

I think there is no harm in admiring good aligned fictional characters. I've spent some time in fandom spaces and I have seen the positive influence these characters can bring. Sometimes I will hear things like how a certain character in a game or a book helped them cope and get through a difficult time in their life.

I don't think I have any real life "heroes". I can admire them for their better qualities sure but I will never idolize and put them on a pedestal. In the end of the day people have a good side and bad side. And tragically in some of these people, their bad side overwhelm their good side so much that it isn't possible to look at them in the same light again. I have lost count how many celebrities got outed as terrible people behind the scenes. The recent one I can think of is the Dalai Lama with the video that was circling around.

The source of positive, empowering words doesn’t matter. Choosing to heed the words because they are put forward by a fictional character could indicate an unhealthy mental state.

There’s an old saying about meeting your heroes. These days the “meeting” is more like the exposure you outline @orangecat. I’ve been disappointed more than once by people I looked up to as a young fellow.

You’re right @Richard_39 about people letting you down. It’s hard, we’ll impossible I guess, to be perfect. Nothing wrong with admiring fictional characters. I just like to think deeper and acknowledge that everything they say or do has been scripted by a person - until recently I guess, but even that has human origin.

Who cares where the ideas come from, who cares whether they are fictional or real. What matters is that people get the right message, not the wrong one. It doesn't matter if someone idolizes a fictional character or a real person. What matters is whether the person is good or not, whether it will help shape you into a better person or not.

I would much rather my kid idolize some fake superhero than his father.

@okidoke
@Richard_39

People find it much more easy to go and watch a fictional hero struggling to do some GOOD, instead to struggle and do some GOOD or, AT LEAST, actively avoid doing BAD. They get out of the cinema, or they close the comics, and they think: "Oh, I agree with the hero, I like what he/she does, so I'm myself a good thing!"

And then feel justified to go and do anything BAD.

Well, fortunately, many people like the hero characters NOT as an excuse for their own badness. This is great and I'm not talking about this case.

Do you think people idolise fictional characters too much?
We literally built stone buildings, fought countless wars, and shaped our entire society over a made-up man in the sky.

Do I think we idolise fictional characters too much? Absolutely, but Batman is not the hill to die on.

Latest posts

Back