Working From Home

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unsigned

Reaction score
Anyone else here feel that they tend to get more depressed when working from home?
I work from home 3 days a week.
And I think it absolutely affects me.
And I don't think it is simply because I am alone here.
When I go to the office there is maybe 20% capacity at best and I can go the entire day without any interactions except for the daily zoom meetings.
It's more than that.
When I am in my apartment on my computer sitting by myself I just seem to rehash the past and dwell on my defeats/inadequacies/disappointments/etc...

I like working from home because I can do more exercise...at least when I am not depressed or hungover.
But it does seem to lead to more depression...

I work at home every day of the week and have no problem with it at all. BUT, I have other commitments that get me out of the house and socializing, so maybe that's why?

I work at home every day of the week and have no problem with it at all. BUT, I have other commitments that get me out of the house and socializing, so maybe that's why?
I often walk outside 2.5+ hours a day (in 2 or 3 separate intervals), and that DOES help a lot.
But sometimes I just dwell on the past and stew in here. Not good.

I often walk outside 2.5+ hours a day (in 2 or 3 separate intervals), and that DOES help a lot.
But sometimes I just dwell on the past and stew in here. Not good.
Well, when I am working, I'm always multitasking. Watching something on TV or cleaning in the little bit of down time I have while working, etc. Plus all the breaks I have to take to do crap for other people. I'm also on here and talking to people in chat and other places. So I guess it just depends on where you let your mind go and how much socializing you actually get to do, you know?

. So I guess it just depends on where you let your mind go and how much socializing you actually get to do, you know?
Yes I agree.
My mind always seems to wander into bad neighborhoods. But yes, what you say makes sense.

Maybe you need to redecorate, get some nice art work and positivity
I really have none of that. No paintings, no plants. I've been in this place for 31 years...

I really have none of that. No paintings, no plants. I've been in this place for 31 years...
Get some. Make it a fake plant if you don't think you can take care of one (no judgments, I kill them. lol) Perhaps if you surround yourself with something pleasant, your thoughts won't be so bad.

I call it "sleeping at home". Not "working from home". Productivity plummets while a lot of non-work related things getting done increases.

I work from home five days a week and for the most part, I don't have issues - not depression anyway. There's days where I feel more anxious and restless than usual, but that's more a result of not getting enough exercise and fresh air. I agree with the suggestions of doing some redecorating - adding touches in your workspace that make you feel good mentally. Also, I play music while I'm working - #1 - it helps me concentrate. #2 - it lifts my mood to listen to music I enjoy. I'd pay close attention to your mood too - get out of the house for a while if you feel yourself heading down a dark road.

I know a Commercial Server Liaison, and 2 Health Insurance employees who work from home.
All three have told me that they struggle with separating home from work mentally.
While it's something I used to think that I wanted as an introvert, as I've gotten older, I've realized that's the opposite of what I want.
I want a job of repetitive tasks without much social interaction that pays sustainably that doesn't work me like a slave.
I've looked and looked, and I've convinced myself that the reason I can't find that is because it doesn't exist.
So it's more a matter of "pick your poison."

To me, if the money feels enslaving, than that defeats the purpose of the money.
Having a job is supposed to be a good thing. If you dread going to work, then yeah, it's time to look for another job.
Just as mind-body connectivity is a thing, work/home balance is also a thing.

Latest posts

Back