working with Autodesk Maya, could use help.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

xephier102

Reaction score
I know that the current mainstream ,since the Blender UI revamp, has been to use Blender; however I have always preferred the tools and UI of Maya. As well, I recently found out that I could get an educational license a lot easier than I thought (no I'm not currently attending Yale, but they don't need to know that; only that I'm using the program for educational purposes).

With that said, it would be nice to have someone to talk with that's skilled in Maya, or even someone that is learning Maya themselves so that we could trade informations.

But just not someone that's just starting and can't do anything on their own :p it won't be too helpful if I gotta teach someone how to resize shapes a month down the road, lol.

xephier102

Reaction score
What do you need help with. I use it
I made that post over two years ago. I haven't been working with Maya since I got tired of the greed of that corporation. And Blender is a pain. So I've kinda side-burnered my 3D ambitions for now. Also I'm moving to the city at the end of the month, and without a place to live right away, I won't be doing much computer stuff for at least another 2-3 months (give or take). But once I'm in a better headspace, I would like to work on completing my Wilykat model at least.

If/when I get back into it, I'll give ya a shout.

Thx.

REDEMPTION

On the border of the underworld
Reaction score
I made that post over two years ago. I haven't been working with Maya since I got tired of the greed of that corporation. And Blender is a pain. So I've kinda side-burnered my 3D ambitions for now. Also I'm moving to the city at the end of the month, and without a place to live right away, I won't be doing much computer stuff for at least another 2-3 months (give or take). But once I'm in a better headspace, I would like to work on completing my Wilykat model at least.

If/when I get back into it, I'll give ya a shout.

Thx.
This is why you pirate it instead. Nobody is going to pay 2000$ licenses for that. And Blender sucks imo, personally I dropped it after a while because it's a mess and feature wise it is inferior to Autodesk products unless you install paid addons or other 50000 packages to make up for it.

Didn't notice the date of the post, but yeah if you're ever back I'm available.

xephier102

Reaction score
This is why you pirate it instead. Nobody is going to pay 2000$ licenses for that. And Blender sucks imo, personally I dropped it after a while because it's a mess and feature wise it is inferior to Autodesk products unless you install paid addons or other 50000 packages to make up for it.

Didn't notice the date of the post, but yeah if you're ever back I'm available.
Sounds good man. Hopefully I can take you up on that. Yea, I feel the same as you about Maya pricing.. 2000$.. BS.. There used to be a legit 'learning edition' that you could get for free, but now they only offer that to the uppity upper class colleges like Harvard and Yale, that pay for bulk licenses. I mean, if I was gonna put out something that I could make a good amount more than 2k from producing, then that'd be one thing, but paying 2k just to teach myself, when I may never produce something profitable... Worst part is, IIRC, you can't even outright buy the product anymore. You've gotta pay like, 1-300 a month or something for them to let you use it.. and never actually own the thing.. Just like photoshop.. That's just one of the most greedy/predatory business moves imho.. Cuz you could literally pay thousands, or even tens of thousands for those products, but never own them, and not even have access to them if you stop paying..

I did download the Maya 'learning edition' (upper class funded for upper class edition), and just told it that I went to Yale (despite that I'm actually Canadian). It worked for a while, then they started demanding proof that I was attending Yale.. That followed by the fact that my Vray trial ran up, and I couldn't find a pirated one at the time that worked.. I just got tired of it all and put it aside. I was able to find some good pirated copies of both later on, but by that point I had lost interest. Nothing kills my buzz more than corporate greed..

But if you had hit me up a month or two sooner, I may have considered picking it up again. Cuz I did have some decent progress on my first serious Maya project (pictures below), and everytime I look at it, I'm tempted to dive back in.

As a side note though, I don't trust forums to stay online these days (any forum not owned by a major corporation seems to be dropping like flies over the past decade or so..). So if you're serious about working together in a mutual effort to grow our skills, then PM me some solid contact info, like an email (I know, it makes me sound old, but I do have a preference for email, since it's the one online communication service that doesn't die out when it's done trending) or something, and I'll hit you up when I'm back on solid ground (so to speak).

Wilykat SFW 2020-06-08.png

He looks a tad clowny in the below pic, but I had planned to correct that in future modifications. The facial fur was the last thing I did with this, and coloring the lips and nose was something I did on a whim. It may look better if it was a lighter shade of pink that blends better with the surrounding color. I also wanted to improve on the eyes, and ideally add a bit of a glow that would show up when rendered (Just a bit, like the eyes from the characters in 'Dragon Quest: Your Story' on Netflix). But I was having some difficulties in getting the eyeballs to have the proper moist/reflective surface to them.

I've been working on my 2D art a lot more lately though, so there's probably a handful of things that I could fix, and tweek just from the knowledge I've gained from that. One thing I've found is that even though 2D, and 3D are so different, there are aspects of both which can make you better in either.
Wilykat SFW82.png

Last edited:

Latest posts