you can say this but i cant say that.........why

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, enough. I find relentlessly posting anti-Islamic propoganda very disturbing. While I understand the point you were originally trying to make, two wrongs do not make a right.

Personally, I don't care if people follow Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism or any other religion. Hell, worship the giant pink gerbil from the planet Zog, and I still won't dispute the validity of your choice. But try to prove that your religion, whichever it may be, is in some way superior to all the others.. then I will get annoyed. Quite simply, everyone has the right to their own personal beliefs, and I will not see anyone's personal choice torn to shreds on this forum.

Steel said:
Ok, enough. I find relentlessly posting anti-Islamic propoganda very disturbing. While I understand the point you were originally trying to make, two wrongs do not make a right.

Personally, I don't care if people follow Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism or any other religion. Hell, worship the giant pink gerbil from the planet Zog, and I still won't dispute the validity of your choice. But try to prove that your religion, whichever it may be, is in some way superior to all the others.. then I will get annoyed. Quite simply, everyone has the right to their own personal beliefs, and I will not see anyone's personal choice torn to shreds on this forum.

:club: OK, how did you find out about Zog and His Holiness, The Gerbil???

Papabear said:
I'm an equal opportunity religion basher. From christianity to islam to atheism (yes, it's a religion... look up the definition of religion)

To say you believe something you have know way of knowing is religion and any intelligent religious person will admit that religion really is ignorant (faith.... that's a nice way of putting it).

But with the initial point of this religion... yes... you should be able to crap on other religions just has others have crapped on yours. We all have a right to feel and believe as we will.

With all due respect, you are incorrect in your assertion that Atheism is a religion. The definition of religion is thus:

re⋅li⋅gion
–noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
7. religions, Archaic. religious rites.
8. Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.

As you can see, every one of these definition relies on a positive claim: a belief system, by definition, requires a claim. Just so you know, a person who claims that god does not exist is making a claim. Atheism, however, does not make any claims whatsoever, and therefore, by definition, cannot be considered a religion.

Let me, as an English major, dissect this for you:

Observe, the prefix a:

prefix 'a' - meaning: not, without

Observe, the word theism:

theism, n - the belief in a god or gods.

Atheism is not the claim that gods do not exist, it is merely the lack of belief in a them. It makes no positive claims, and therefore is not a religion. If you need further convincing, observe the definition of religion once more, and let's dissect it here:

- Religions require positive claims.
- Religions carry specific fundamentals.
- Religions have sets of beliefs or practices.
- Religions contain observances.
- Religions propose an idea to be true, either subjectively or objectively.
- Religions posit something to "believe in."

Atheism does none of these things. Atheism is a lack of belief in a god or gods. Nothing more, nothing less. Atheism is not a religion.

And by the way, do not cite the dictionary definition of Atheism. Both the Webster and Random House (dictionary.com relies on this) definitions of Atheism are convoluted from years of misunderstanding and have yet to be corrected. Instead rely on the proper dissection of the word, separated by prefix and root word.

Anyway. No offense was meant by this post. The claim that Atheism is a religion just irks me. It's like saying that bald is a hair color, or "off" is a television channel.

Steel said:

Steel, I encourage you to read "God Is Not Great" by Christopher Hitchens. He's an anti-theist who posits that "religion poisons everything" and lays out a pretty **** good case why. Pardon me if you take this as condescension, but I pretty much held your position until I read his book (which in turn sparked the research fire in me).

Political, social, and other views aren't immune from ridicule. Why should religion -- something that's been so detrimental on society since its invention in the muddy minds of primitive man -- be of any exception?

Liapos said:
Steel said:

Steel, I encourage you to read "God Is Not Great" by Christopher Hitchens. He's an anti-theist who posits that "religion poisons everything" and lays out a pretty **** good case why. Pardon me if you take this as condescension, but I pretty much held your position until I read his book (which in turn sparked the research fire in me).

Political, social, and other views aren't immune from ridicule. Why should religion -- something that's been so detrimental on society since its invention in the muddy minds of primitive man -- be of any exception?

LOL, now THIS is how to disagree with someone in a nice way. :p Kudos, Liapos. :)

Liapos said:
Steel said:

Lol, I have read it, and enjoyed it.

Actually, as plenty of people know, I am opposed to all forms of organised religion.. but this is my personal opinion. I will happily oppose any form of bigotry or hatred, irrespective of whether it is based upon someone's personal faith or not. Religion may explain why someone thinks the way they do, but does not condone it.

Hitchens also extends his criticisms to all religions, rather than singling out a specific religion that differs from his own...

Bella said:
punisher said:
i dont want to debate i just posted some quotes from the quran

o-rly-putin.jpg

You've confused Vladamir and I, because prior to saying that, you said this:
punisher said:
i want people to read my words more then these quotes.

:/
Like I said, it's not even fun when the concentrated level of fail is this intense.

Sweetheart, you are remarkably, outlandishly, and unabashedly full of yourself.

Tone the self-righteousness down a notch, and watch your feet before you trip over something.

Lol, I have read it, and enjoyed it.

Actually, as plenty of people know, I am opposed to all forms of organised religion.. but this is my personal opinion. I will happily oppose any form of bigotry or hatred, irrespective of whether it is based upon someone's personal faith or not. Religion may explain why someone thinks the way they do, but does not condone it.

Hitchens also extends his criticisms to all religions, rather than singling out a specific religion that differs from his own...

Well, Hitchens doesn't have a religion on account of his being an atheist, but he does extend his criticism, and rightly so, onto religion as a concept.

LOL, now THIS is how to disagree with someone in a nice way. :p Kudos, Liapos. :)
[/quote]

I am suddenly very popular. @.@

Liapos said:
Bella said:
punisher said:

o-rly-putin.jpg

punisher said:

Like I said, it's not even fun when the concentrated level of fail is this intense.

Tone the self-righteousness down a notch, and watch your feet before you trip over something.

I don't understand how you can make such a stupid comment when she has probably responded the best way she can to this idiot filled thread. Especially dealing with a real high level of fail that this thread has delivered.

Inhale and exhale 3 times. Now relax a moment and post.

Do this next time before you are so quick to judge in such a way.

Who the heck even uses "fail"? >_>

So many internet cliches...poisoning my mind. v_v

Caribou said:
Liapos said:
Bella said:
punisher said:

o-rly-putin.jpg

punisher said:

I don't understand how you can make such a stupid comment when she has probably responded the best way she can to this idiot filled thread. Especially dealing with a real high level of fail that this thread has delivered.

I treat ad hominem attacks with ad hominem attacks. She contributed nothing to the discussion here, and merely ragged on grammar and mentally masturbated herself. I'm willing to deal with people who want a discussion, not with people who "want to ride my disco stick."

Liapos said:
Caribou said:
Liapos said:
Bella said:
punisher said:

o-rly-putin.jpg

punisher said:

I treat ad hominem attacks with ad hominem attacks. She contributed nothing to the discussion here, and merely ragged on grammar and mentally masturbated herself. I'm willing to deal with people who want a discussion, not with people who "want to ride my disco stick."

Punisher did not want a discussion and Steel nailed it on the head. Its a thread created solely on bashing Islam. Bella is easily the better posters on this forum and she was able to see the lame shitstorm this thread would become on her first post.

Caribou said:
Liapos said:
Caribou said:
Liapos said:
Bella said:
punisher said:

o-rly-putin.jpg

punisher said:

Punisher did not want a discussion and Steel nailed it on the head. Its a thread created solely on bashing Islam. Bella is easily the better posters on this forum and she was able to see the lame shitstorm this thread would become on her first post.

Well, she also added fuel to the fire as well. Whether you agree with the author of this thread or not (and I'm not saying I agree nor disagree with that person myself) "The Punisher" did pretty much say, "This is what I have to say, if you don't like it, then don't read it and don't reply." The mature, and wise thing to do would be to simply overlook/ignore it then, and not attempt to bash the author. In doing so, that poster posts at their own risk. So I don't think Bella was a better poster for really any of what she said, when simply ignoring the thread would have been the best response.

Caribou said:
Liapos said:
Caribou said:
Liapos said:
Bella said:
punisher said:

o-rly-putin.jpg

punisher said:

Doesnt make any sense..... If she was able to see the "lame honeysuckle storm" then why int he world did she post?

You mean she wanted a fight or something? Well she got one now...

Estreen said:
Well, she also added fuel to the fire as well. Whether you agree with the author of this thread or not (and I'm not saying I agree nor disagree with that person myself) "The Punisher" did pretty much say, "This is what I have to say, if you don't like it, then don't read it and don't reply." The mature, and wise thing to do would be to simply overlook/ignore it then, and not attempt to bash the author. In doing so, that poster posts at their own risk. So I don't think Bella was a better poster for really any of what she said, when simply ignoring the thread would have been the best response.

Just like myself, she was raised with both Islamic and Christian beliefs in her family. Her fingers are much deeper in the soil than anyone here about this topic. I will repeat. Punisher did not want a discussion. There is a post where she proved this by posting a comment he made to her via pm.

Sanal said:
Doesnt make any sense..... If she was able to see the "lame honeysuckle storm" then why int he world did she post?

She is smart enough to not take this seriously and 'called' it. Besides, I would rather see more people post like her here. Why bother getting into a discussion with someone who is going to post disgusting amounts of text and not with their own way.

Please stick to making LOLcatz references in your posts from now on.

Caribou said:
Estreen said:

Just like myself, she was raised with both Islamic and Christian beliefs in her family. Her fingers are much deeper in the soil than anyone here about this topic. I will repeat. Punisher did not want a discussion. There is a post where she proved this by posting a comment he made to her via pm.

Sanal said:

She is smart enough to not take this seriously and 'called' it. Besides, I would rather see more people post like her here. Why bother getting into a discussion with someone who is going to post disgusting amounts of text and not with their own way.

Please stick to making LOLcatz references in your posts from now on.

Alright then. So you and Bella both knew that he did not want a discussion? Then why sit here and keep posting and making unnecessary attempts to provoke someone? That's lowering yourself "to their level". There's no rule against posting quotes. Granted, much of what he posted hasn't been relevant to me, but you know what? He has the right to post it. I've seen other threads/comments/posts that have been meaningless/pointless/nonsensical, so it's not "against the law". If I wanted to make a thread that simply said "Doodly doo, pfffbbt!" in it, I could. I don't because I don't see a point in it, and I feel it'd be silly and pointless, but the point is I could post it.

Shame on you for insulting Sanal though. Just because you have some sort of crush on Bella does not give you the right to insult someone else for questioning her actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back