Your Comfort Zone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you get out of it?

I’m often pushing myself out of my comfort zone. I want to know that I’ve given something my best shot, faced a fear, discovered a new like or even learned that something wasn’t actually for me that I wasn’t sure about. I risk rejection, failure and even the possibility of pain on occasion, but that’s what living life is all about, isn’t it? Yes I can get nervous, anxious and scared, but I don’t want the continuation of whatever poor situation I’m dealing with to go on, which could be something minor but still restrictive in some way. I’m more cautious with anything that could result in physical injury, but I weigh up the risk.

Sometimes, much of the time, the comfort zone is fine, but sometimes you need to leave it. I guess you have to ask yourself if you’re happy to remain in your current situation for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
Do you get out of it?

I’m often pushing myself out of my comfort zone. I want to know that I’ve given something my best shot, faced a fear, discovered a new like or even learned that something wasn’t actually for me that I wasn’t sure about. I risk rejection, failure and even the possibility of pain on occasion, but that’s what living life is all about, isn’t it? Yes I can get nervous, anxious and scared, but I don’t want the continuation of whatever poor situation I’m dealing with to go on, which could be something minor but still restrictive in some way. I’m more cautious with anything that could result in physical injury, but I weigh up the risk.

Sometimes, much of the time, the comfort zone is fine, but sometimes you need to leave it. I guess you have to ask yourself if you’re happy to remain in your current situation for the rest of your life.
I understand that,and agree with you there,a comfort zone is not a place you should stay in for forever, but it's very hard to get out of your comfort zone,but I think you have to take a risk,otherwise your life will never change.

I would be happy to remain in my current situation, but anyway it can't lasts for long, at least, I think, it can't, so I'd better change it on my own.

I don't really understand what people mean by comfort zone and why it is good to get out.

On the one hand I try to avoid the things, that I don't like(and I think it's normal), and I prefer not to risk, though some people think I do the crazy/risk things, I count quite well and the risk is usually not as high as it can seem or I take the best from the worst situation.
On the other I don't feel like I've ever got in. I have the rejections, the failures, the pains quite often. I feel nervous and scared quite often as well(not a surprise as there are plenty of things, I'm afraid of snakes, dogs, darkness, I feel nervous every night when I go to bed and switch off the light or every time I pass a homeless dog)).

I understand that,and agree with you there,a comfort zone is not a place you should stay in for forever, but it's very hard to get out of your comfort zone,but I think you have to take a risk,otherwise your life will never change.
Yes it’s hard and more for some than others due to various factors, like phobias.
I would be happy to remain in my current situation, but anyway it can't lasts for long, at least, I think, it can't, so I'd better change it on my own.

I don't really understand what people mean by comfort zone and why it is good to get out.

On the one hand I try to avoid the things, that I don't like(and I think it's normal), and I prefer not to risk, though some people think I do the crazy/risk things, I count quite well and the risk is usually not as high as it can seem or I take the best from the worst situation.
On the other I don't feel like I've ever got in. I have the rejections, the failures, the pains quite often. I feel nervous and scared quite often as well(not a surprise as there are plenty of things, I'm afraid of snakes, dogs, darkness, I feel nervous every night when I go to bed and switch off the light or every time I pass a homeless dog)).
Your comfort zone is like your psychological safe area. Where you feel the least threatened by anything. I guess you could have difficulties if you’re suffering various phobias as you describe. Phobias can be worked on. I’m sorry you suffer like that. Phobias are on another level to be overcome.

Monday I'll start taking a dopamine med and I hope to help me get out of it

Yes it’s hard and more for some than others due to various factors, like phobias.

Your comfort zone is like your psychological safe area. Where you feel the least threatened by anything. I guess you could have difficulties if you’re suffering various phobias as you describe. Phobias can be worked on. I’m sorry you suffer like that. Phobias are on another level to be overcome.
I'm OK, thank you. I'm just a coward and have a good imagination. I don't suffer, just feel a little bit nervous sometimes, only one of those was a phobia(snakes), and it requires too much affords to overcome, here it's not a big deal.

Yes, I understand "psychological safe area" but, I asked google, how to go out...
Try something new, walk in a new place, move your furniture, etc, etc. I don't understand why it could be uncomfortable for me.
In some way it means comfort zone = "trying nothing new". But for me something new is a comfort.
I feel quite uncomfortable if I live in one flat for more than 5 years, I moved to another city and feel quite happy about it and don't really understand why other people are not.
There are more things I would do without doubts, if I could afford(jumping with the parachute, go to Himalayas, get a yacht-capitan license, it's a very big list).
And the things I avoid, they are not optimal. For example, yes, I don't like calling/going in person, I prefer writing via e-mail/messangers, it's faster and you see the history and a result, no need to write down it. But if I really need something and they don't answer, I call and go in person though I don't like it.
I also don't understand why changing a route to work/shop/etc is good, because it's ususally the fast one, the faster you are done with it, the faster you can go for a walk and can take any route.

So for me, to go out of my comfort zone means somthing very bad, lose someone, or health or all the funds, stay homeless -something like this. I see no reasons why to do it.

All the time.
On some occasions, like anyone else, I'll have misgivings, chaff, choke, whine and complain, but I try to jump as much as I can. If you don't push yourself, you'll never really live.

So for me, to go out of my comfort zone means somthing very bad, lose someone, or health or all the funds, stay homeless -something like this. I see no reasons why to do it.
Well to me it just means doing something that you think you probably should try for various reasons but hesitate to do so.

Sort of.
I'm actually decent at risk assessment.
If I'm forced out of my comfort zone unexpectedly, bad honeysuckle can happen and it's a test of my patience more than anything else.
And if I'm willingly leaving it, the way that I do it is within realms of practicality.
I'm not going to choose to gamble against odds that look like 2/3rds of a chance of failure...but at 3/5ths, I might.
The way I would gamble against 3/5ths is I first assess if I can afford the failure.
If I can afford the failure then yeah, fresia it, I'll play.
If I can't afford the failure, than the risk isn't worth it to me.
So really, it's all a matter of if I can handle the consequence of leaving my comfort zone or not.
Thereby, I guess, technically widening the parameters of it, rather than probably actually leaving it. :unsure:

Some things don't have "failure" as a result of leaving your comfort zone. It can be something like leaving your tent at night to go for a pee or maybe just starting a conversation with someone if you're normally anxious about doing that. I guess sometimes it just means to overcome an anxiety or fear, which I like to accomplish, to build my character.

Latest posts

Back