Zen Meditation to manage Emotions

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooh side question… have you even done meditation to see a relative that passed ?

Ooh side question… have you even done meditation to see a relative that passed ?
I've never heard of meditation as a way to see deceased people. I don't think I would give those claims much credence, though I'm sure someone somewhere has claimed that it's done that for them.

I have practiced quite a bit of meditation throughout my life and it has helped calm and "center" me. You don't have to practice Buddhism to meditate, either, it's more of a way to help observe one's inner workings with equanimity. I've heard people describe it as "just empty your mind," but that's not what I learned at all. I learned instead to pay attention to thoughts and feelings, acknowledge them and then observe them without judging or overreacting to them. You realize that sometimes your mind throws you things that you didn't intend or want. You then learn to deal with these things in a deliberative way. It isn't meant to "turn off" emotions, it just helps you to mitigate unnecessary knee-jerk reactions and get to know how your mind works better. If I were to describe it as a catch-phrase, I would say it's "getting to know your mind in a non-judgmental manner." It has honestly helped me. Though, like everything, don't expect change overnight and don't expect it to work 100% of the time.

I've never heard of meditation as a way to see deceased people. I don't think I would give those claims much credence, though I'm sure someone somewhere has claimed that it's done that for them.

I have practiced quite a bit of meditation throughout my life and it has helped calm and "center" me. You don't have to practice Buddhism to meditate, either, it's more of a way to help observe one's inner workings with equanimity. I've heard people describe it as "just empty your mind," but that's not what I learned at all. I learned instead to pay attention to thoughts and feelings, acknowledge them and then observe them without judging or overreacting to them. You realize that sometimes your mind throws you things that you didn't intend or want. You then learn to deal with these things in a deliberative way. It isn't meant to "turn off" emotions, it just helps you to mitigate unnecessary knee-jerk reactions and get to know how your mind works better. If I were to describe it as a catch-phrase, I would say it's "getting to know your mind in a non-judgmental manner." It has honestly helped me. Though, like everything, don't expect change overnight and don't expect it to work 100% of the time.
Like I have attempted it and I got scared lmao I just felt like if it didnt work i’d have to accept i’d never see him again and if it did… i’d have to accept a whole new reality.

That's a good question, Ceno. Glad you asked. Because that's what's done in Trance-Mediumship. But instead of Buddhism, it's usually done in the religion of Shintoism. Those who do it are called Shamans, those who have special powers of clairvoyance. Usually those people are born with those powers and seem weird, and so are usually bullied and persecuted during their youth. But later on, their neighbors respect them and even look up to them because their spiritual powers do such things as miracle-healing.

Àfter years of searching, I found Tai C'hi ☯️ Can be referred to meditation in motion. It is the practice of Tai C'hi that has helped me to manage my emotions. I current practice Chen Style.

Think it helps with balance?

I’ve done a guided meditation every night to fall asleep. It soothes me and helps me sleep. But it doesn’t seem to help my anxiety during my waking hours.

I’ve done a guided meditation every night to fall asleep. It soothes me and helps me sleep. But it doesn’t seem to help my anxiety during my waking hours.
Maybe your meditation works for your sleep only, and not for your anxiety during the day is because you did the meditation at night only. Why not add another meditation in the morning, then it can help alleviate your anxiety during the day.

I think the problem with meditation, is that, it can often be presented in very esoteric and cryptic ways.

From what little experience I have on the matter, I should say, liken it to physical exercise. There are countless numbers of ways, one can physically exercise, and countless other reasons and motivations behind why people do it.

Some people are just taking daily walks at the urging of their doctor. Some people are body building. Some people are training their bodies to be useful in the martial arts. Some people want to lose weight. Some folks just enjoy bike riding, mountain climbing, hiking, and by virtue of their enjoyment preferences, simply become quite physically fit, as a consequence.

So, likewise, I think, there are a plethora of different people, who will give you a plethora of different ways to meditate, and reasons for doing so.

Adult coloring books, for example, have become popularized therapeutic tools; but, in some circumstances, it's really just meditation. To sit in one place, with a cadre of colored pencils or markers, with a goal of coloring in a predefined sketch, is to apply one's conscious attention, to a specific place, for a specific amount of time.

I haven't found meditation, at least yet, to be an, 'anxiety cure.' Though, I don't doubt, some people, in the course of engaging in meditation, may have rid themselves of the greater portion of excessive nerves. I have a honeysuckle ton of distraught nerves; but, I do find, I quite enjoy doing it, some times. It's been put to me, that meditation, at it's core, is just about observing, and taking a break from the problem solving/trouble shooting/analytical mind. And, being able to quiet that part of myself, even if only for 5 minutes out of 30 minutes spent doing so, can be enough to relieve some tension, even if only momentarily.

Many people have their teachers, gurus, masters, etc.. And, some times that is the proper course. It's probably much easier to become a good carpenter, if you have some one to teach you the way, until you reach a point you can develop your own style.

For me, some times meditation just means, taking a walk. I walk slowly, purposefully, and gently. I don't like to focus my attention on my feet, though many often suggest to do that. Rather, I like to take in sights and sounds. Then some times, I find, I just feel like sitting, right where I happen to be, and find that, most people would think it rather awkward for me to do so, so, I don't :). I'll try to find a nice place to sit, and I just watch things happen, and it can be peaceful. I worry often that others may think me queer and odd; but, I try to just stay out of busier people's ways, and keep to myself, smile, and say hi to passersby if it seems the polite course of action.

I haven't really found a very good way to alleviate anxiety, through meditation; but, I do know from experience, that, uncomfortable nervous tension, is like a finger trap. The more I try to escape it, the tighter it's grip often becomes. So, I think, at least some of the time, meditation, might help with that, not directly, but, as a side effect, of just observing, and letting what is, simply be. Some times that's tough to do, other times, not so much.

I think the problem with meditation, is that, it can often be presented in very esoteric and cryptic ways.

From what little experience I have on the matter, I should say, liken it to physical exercise. There are countless numbers of ways, one can physically exercise, and countless other reasons and motivations behind why people do it.

Some people are just taking daily walks at the urging of their doctor. Some people are body building. Some people are training their bodies to be useful in the martial arts. Some people want to lose weight. Some folks just enjoy bike riding, mountain climbing, hiking, and by virtue of their enjoyment preferences, simply become quite physically fit, as a consequence.

So, likewise, I think, there are a plethora of different people, who will give you a plethora of different ways to meditate, and reasons for doing so.

Adult coloring books, for example, have become popularized therapeutic tools; but, in some circumstances, it's really just meditation. To sit in one place, with a cadre of colored pencils or markers, with a goal of coloring in a predefined sketch, is to apply one's conscious attention, to a specific place, for a specific amount of time.

I haven't found meditation, at least yet, to be an, 'anxiety cure.' Though, I don't doubt, some people, in the course of engaging in meditation, may have rid themselves of the greater portion of excessive nerves. I have a honeysuckle ton of distraught nerves; but, I do find, I quite enjoy doing it, some times. It's been put to me, that meditation, at it's core, is just about observing, and taking a break from the problem solving/trouble shooting/analytical mind. And, being able to quiet that part of myself, even if only for 5 minutes out of 30 minutes spent doing so, can be enough to relieve some tension, even if only momentarily.

Many people have their teachers, gurus, masters, etc.. And, some times that is the proper course. It's probably much easier to become a good carpenter, if you have some one to teach you the way, until you reach a point you can develop your own style.

For me, some times meditation just means, taking a walk. I walk slowly, purposefully, and gently. I don't like to focus my attention on my feet, though many often suggest to do that. Rather, I like to take in sights and sounds. Then some times, I find, I just feel like sitting, right where I happen to be, and find that, most people would think it rather awkward for me to do so, so, I don't :). I'll try to find a nice place to sit, and I just watch things happen, and it can be peaceful. I worry often that others may think me queer and odd; but, I try to just stay out of busier people's ways, and keep to myself, smile, and say hi to passersby if it seems the polite course of action.

I haven't really found a very good way to alleviate anxiety, through meditation; but, I do know from experience, that, uncomfortable nervous tension, is like a finger trap. The more I try to escape it, the tighter it's grip often becomes. So, I think, at least some of the time, meditation, might help with that, not directly, but, as a side effect, of just observing, and letting what is, simply be. Some times that's tough to do, other times, not so much.
What an excellent reply... and I totally agree. I have never really practiced meditation, but do try to practice everyday mindfulness sometimes. The issue I always had with 'mindfulness' is that to me the whole thing seems to have been hijacked by the 'airy fairy, world is full of sunshine and rainbows with unicorns jumping over them' brigade... and quite frankly that really puts me off, I also suspect puts many others off as well...? which is a shame as mindfulness is quite a handy tool (and thats really how it should be sold in my opinion) that can be very beneficial for people that may need it. Like you I will go for a walk and focus on the wind in the leaves, or the nature, or surroundings that I am in, rather than being caught up in my own mind, it's quite hard at times, but is a much welcomed relief sometimes even if as you say it's literally only five minutes of restbite from the never ending internal dialogue..

Yes, Tai Chi can help with balance. Movements are all precise and teaches an inner balance. There are movements in the Old Form such 'Double Flying Kick' and 'Tornado Kick'. ☯️
Good for the ole back 😇

Latest posts

Back