Ever wonder....what is your purpose of existance?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonic_95

Reaction score
I have been asking myself this just about every day lately.....why was I ever put here?

There must be SOME reason I was brought into existence, but lately I've just been feeling like I'm nothing more than a burden than I am anything else.

My whole life I have never felt accepted by my family, my sisters in particular. Growing up everything I ever did pissed them off and I felt like I was more of an outsider than I was part of the family. My whole adult life I've bent over backwards for them and in return I just get attacked, be it in person, or behind my back. My parents just left after a 2 week visit and just seeing them on a daily basis has just really gotten me down.

I've always wanted to meet someone nice and possibly have a family one day and be happily married for 40+ like my parents. But 32 years into my life, I've just watched it happen to all of my cousins and friends I went to school with, most of which are years younger than me.

I have bent over backwards so many times for people to help them through hard times, be supportive of them and do whatever I can for them and they either attack me (and keep on taking advantage of me at that) or just stop talking to me cold turkey for no reason at all.

I sometimes wonder if I was ever meant to be here at all. I just don't know how much longer I can keep doing this.

i know how you feel sonic. i see family and friends or in some cases, "friends"... just moving right along in life. i wonder why i have to drift along feeling lost and alone like this while others just somehow find and jump right into something... or someone. i too wonder how much longer i can go on like this at times.

You do things for people out of the kindness of your heart. Not because you expect to get anything back. If you expect something back, make a contract, or just don't help anyone. You don't have do anything for anyone. If you decide to, that's something you do. If you feel like you aren't being appreciated, then don't do anything. It's very easy to not do something. But obviously, it's in your heart to do it.

I don't question the purpose of my own existance, I question the purpose of life in general. I find it hard to see any real meaning in it. Yes the meaning of life is to make meaning of it, but alot of the time I can't help but think it's utterly pointless.

I question neither the purpose of life itself or of my own existence.

There are too many experiences and joys and pains and sorrows to feel in this world, each one of them a shining gem that shows us new insights into what it means to live and die as a human in our universe.

Just take life as it is and make the best of it. Why complicate things by asking why or how?

I wonder what my purpose in life is all the time. But I also keep trying to carve out the purpose I want to have. I don't want this crummy existence that's been given to me, so I'm trying to make my own.

Sometimes life takes you in weird directions, but you can always fight against it and go where you feel as though you need to be.

Sonic_95 said:
I have been asking myself this just about every day lately.....why was I ever put here?

There must be SOME reason I was brought into existence...

There is no reason for my existence. I am. That's it. I do what I do and then, eventually, I cease to exist. Just my opinion.

I have, but I stopped wondering because whatever purpose I'm going to think of would just be well... something I created for myself, it would be a goal, which could change over time, life is "becoming", and the result is never in reach, and I think it is fine that way, if I think my purpose were to love this person and this person were to leave me today, then my purpose has already ceased to exist, and I can't afford to lose my "purpose" in life that easily, so therefore I don't think there is a purpose, at least it's not something that is set in stone.

Not sure if those make sense, but that is how I think of the subject, it is ok to wonder from time to time, but I'm too stupid to see the entire picture and it is better that I don't make assumptions of what my "purpose" could possibly be, it would feel like writing an ending for myself, I'd like to believe I still have infinite of possibilities and my purpose is far greater than what my tiny mind could come up for myself for now.

Cogito ergo sum. (I think therefore I am)

Descartes.

EveWasFramed said:
There is no reason for my existence. I am. That's it.

I don't recall ever being concerned about a reason. I seem to exist so all that matters is what i do with that. Sure there have been times when i wished that i could demand a justification for my existence, just to see if it was anything other than a cruel joke, but that is a different matter.

Minus said:
I don't recall ever being concerned about a reason. I seem to exist so all that matters is what i do with that.

Exactly! That's how I think about it.

Sonic_95,first, I just want to say that of course you are supposed to be here and you can make it through the sub times. My definitions to find the purpose is when you find a role where you can do what you look to do and when usually your greatest doing is to become a solution of problems that God calls you to fix, that is your purpose. I think the problem here is when it comes to a relationships and expectations. As you can see, every single problem that you ever have as a person its because they finally get along of your roles.They think that you are not acting like the way. They think that you should be acting. My suggestion is to give clear on what do you think that you should be like or everything seem just wrong.Why don't you sit down and tell them and sking that there is a big difference because they could be here through human process.​

I don't think anyone is born pre-ordained with a purpose, even though some will argue they are.
I don't have a "purpose" in life, I'm here to experience things, feel emotions, to discover, to enjoy myself for the whole of life from start to end. There's no purpose, only choices and paths to take.

Besides, I can't understand why some people would dedicate their lives to a God or something, I think if you dedicate your life to some sort of deity, your slapping them in the face because your wasting YOUR life that was GIVEN to you by that deity.
(Just my opinion, not to cause offence, no hate please.)

ALL people question the purpose of their existence at some point. Even those who say they do not, will, at some time, have that question.

Existentialists believe that the purpose of your life can be found in the moment, not in the past or in the future. There are some things that are just plain inescapable. You were born, so that's a fact. You are alive, and that's a fact. You WILL die. That's just how life is. It is finite, and not very long. So... What do you do in the meantime? Do you concern yourself over things that have already happened? You cannot change the past. Do you concern yourself over things that might happen? We cannot predict the future, only make guesses about where it might go.

As human beings, it is natural for us to seek out other human beings, even if only one or two. So we need other people in our lives. People who totally isolate themselves are invariably very depressed, or very angry, or have some fairly serious disorder, whether anxiety-based, or deeper. You can find meaningfulness in the smallest things, and meaninglessness in things that may be important to others, but not you. You can be isolated in a crowd of people, or overwhelmed by one person. You can be imprisoned by your circumstances, or find freedom from within.

The meaning in your life may change from moment to moment. I started out desperately wanting to fly combat aircraft, but a middle ear problem stopped that, so Plan A went down the toilet. I joined the army wanting to be a part of something good. I loved it, but hated the attitudes of many men in the military. I mustered out and went to school to become an entomologist because the salaries were huge. I made over $100,000 a year back in the eighties! But it was not fulfilling. I went back to school and became a social worker. The pay is bad, but the intrinsic benefits were good. My point is that you can find meaning in one thing one day, and in something totally different the next. It is YOUR life. It is finite, and you have to make the best you can of what you have according to your own lights.

A friend of mine spent 35 years working in a job he hated. All those years he saved for retirement, and put aside money to buy an RV so he and his wife could see America during their twilight years. He retired three years ago. Within a week of retirement he had a brand new 40 foot long RV parked in his driveway. Almost exactly a week after that, he was dead. Less than three months after he died, his wife also died. He had spent a lifetime doing something he hated so he could do something he thought would be meaningful, only to die and never do any of it. As much as I liked my friend, he told me endless stories about how miserable he was. He did not live in his own moments.

Alaric said:
ALL people question the purpose of their existence at some point. Even those who say they do not, will, at some time, have that question.

Existentialists believe that the purpose of your life can be found in the moment, not in the past or in the future. There are some things that are just plain inescapable. You were born, so that's a fact. You are alive, and that's a fact. You WILL die. That's just how life is. It is finite, and not very long. So... What do you do in the meantime? Do you concern yourself over things that have already happened? You cannot change the past. Do you concern yourself over things that might happen? We cannot predict the future, only make guesses about where it might go.

As human beings, it is natural for us to seek out other human beings, even if only one or two. So we need other people in our lives. People who totally isolate themselves are invariably very depressed, or very angry, or have some fairly serious disorder, whether anxiety-based, or deeper. You can find meaningfulness in the smallest things, and meaninglessness in things that may be important to others, but not you. You can be isolated in a crowd of people, or overwhelmed by one person. You can be imprisoned by your circumstances, or find freedom from within.

The meaning in your life may change from moment to moment. I started out desperately wanting to fly combat aircraft, but a middle ear problem stopped that, so Plan A went down the toilet. I joined the army wanting to be a part of something good. I loved it, but hated the attitudes of many men in the military. I mustered out and went to school to become an entomologist because the salaries were huge. I made over $100,000 a year back in the eighties! But it was not fulfilling. I went back to school and became a social worker. The pay is bad, but the intrinsic benefits were good. My point is that you can find meaning in one thing one day, and in something totally different the next. It is YOUR life. It is finite, and you have to make the best you can of what you have according to your own lights.

A friend of mine spent 35 years working in a job he hated. All those years he saved for retirement, and put aside money to buy an RV so he and his wife could see America during their twilight years. He retired three years ago. Within a week of retirement he had a brand new 40 foot long RV parked in his driveway. Almost exactly a week after that, he was dead. Less than three months after he died, his wife also died. He had spent a lifetime doing something he hated so he could do something he thought would be meaningful, only to die and never do any of it. As much as I liked my friend, he told me endless stories about how miserable he was. He did not live in his own moments.

It's sad to see that your friend worked hard to survive and didn't enjoy his time on this earth.

The world is changing all the time.
To survive, we need a job or a business to provide us a living.

I'd say, enjoy the little things in life. And keep working on the dreams.

I can certainly understand where you are coming from in regards to why you were put into existence or what is your purpose in this life? I've been there with the friends who I've helped and encouraged and all of a sudden, I don't hear from them after they've used me. The world would be a sad place if caring and compassionate people didn't exist. So for the time being just think of yourself as a person who was put on this earth to show compassion, love and give balance to this sometimes cruel world.

Oh ****....this question is like me trying to figure out GOD.lol

Were all gonna die and we must all live until we die...everythinfg else in betweem is an option....

That option includes trying to figure all the honeysuckle out too. Lmao

My purpose at this juncture is to be here for my daughter Kimmie. To love her as she needs and wants to be loved.
To not judge her, condemn her or critisize her. To listen and understand her. To have compassion for her. To love her unconditionally. To encourgae her. To help her when she ask for help
To hold her hands when she holds mine.
To hug her and she needs and wants a hug. To be her father she alway wanted and needed. To help her heal. To make both our hopes and dreams come true....

Latest posts

Back