Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Maybe This Is why Disabled People are Lonely
03-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Maybe This Is why Disabled People are Lonely

ADVERTISEMENTS
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2012, 12:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 12:29 PM by Ak5.)
RE: Maybe This Is why Disabled People are Lonely
I went to school with a student in Middle School, he was disabled. He had a ventilator and a nurse with him 24/7. He was involved in a terrible accident that paralyzed him from the neck down.

I made sure to talk to him every single day of school and at every class we had.

17 year old Male
Life is what you make of it.

[Image: grammarnazi1.jpg][Image: Popcorn_02_Stephen_Colbert.gif]
Find all posts by this user
03-04-2012, 12:26 PM
(03-04-2012 12:23 PM)Ak5 Wrote:  I went to school with this student in Middle School, he was disabled. He had a ventilator and a nurse with him 24/7. He was involved in a terrible accident that paralyzed him from the neck down.

I made sure to talk to him every single day of school and at every class we had.

I don't think this is the same person. This video was taken very recently and from the looks of things you guys aren't the same ages.

Plus the kid does not have a ventilator.

ADVERTISEMENTS
03-04-2012, 12:28 PM
No not that guy lol. Someone different.

17 year old Male

03-04-2012, 12:29 PM
(03-04-2012 12:28 PM)Ak5 Wrote:  No not that guy lol. Someone different.

Oh you were telling a story. I'm sorry. I misunderstood.

That's good you talked to him. =)
03-04-2012, 12:31 PM
(03-04-2012 12:29 PM)SophiaGrace Wrote:  
(03-04-2012 12:28 PM)Ak5 Wrote:  No not that guy lol. Someone different.

Oh you were telling a story. I'm sorry. I misunderstood.

That's good you talked to him. =)

Yeah, it was very tragic what happened to him. Honestly, even though I am lonely, there are plenty of people who are worse off.

17 year old Male

03-04-2012, 01:55 PM
That video actually makes me kind of sad. My experience of people with disabilities is very limited but you could see that little boy wanted to interact, he was aware of everything going on, yet the heartbreaking thing is he looked almost resigned to it, like it was normal.

I think most able bodied/minded people are lonely, not by choice so much as fear? I know how it feels to be stood on your own at a large gathering and due to self confidence feel I can't take part, but if I pushed myself I possibly could, whereas he doesn't have that choice and I can't imagine what that must feel like.

Then again, how many of us at that age, or even now, would take the time to interact with a severely disabled person? It's often easier to ignore something that is different than it is to understand it.

Never captured, never tamed, like wild horses running through the plains. You, might call me lost I call it Freedom.
03-04-2012, 02:11 PM
very sad, i hate to think that such things happen in our schools, there are paid educators to make sure things like that dont happen. There are a few disabled children at our school, i'm proud to say that my daughter is part of the friends project. It involves having lunch the the children and keeping them company in activities. She is only 11, and the educator says she is doing a great job since she is very social and outspoken, lol, shes very protective of her new friends.

***Wispers***
can anybody hear me ?
03-04-2012, 11:21 PM
(03-04-2012 02:11 PM)whispers Wrote:  very sad, i hate to think that such things happen in our schools, there are paid educators to make sure things like that dont happen. There are a few disabled children at our school, i'm proud to say that my daughter is part of the friends project. It involves having lunch the the children and keeping them company in activities. She is only 11, and the educator says she is doing a great job since she is very social and outspoken, lol, shes very protective of her new friends.

I had that. What'll happen when the teacher says "it's time to split you up" like mine did in the 6th grade?

Then started my difficulties making friends.
03-05-2012, 12:13 AM
Fucking hell that brought me to tears. A few years ago I was watching a musical at a theatre, it was produced for children with loads of music and magic but when a group of disabled children came in (with carers) both the theatre owners and other families told them to go to the back to avoid being a bother. This sent me in a rage because not only did the back lack any sort of seating but there were a number of pillars there that blocked out views too. Thankfully the owners changed their minds when I burst into their office like a raging bull but it sickens me to think some people still think that behaviour is ok in this day and age.

Thanks for posting that clip, I’m going to look into doing some more volunteering work closer to the summer.

Take my love, take my land, take me where I can not stand.
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

ADVERTISEMENTS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I don't like people stork_error 5 44 Today 04:34 AM
Last Post: Pike Creek
  I'm really lonely and kinda depressed today. bobdog 10 368 08-22-2014 12:35 PM
Last Post: johnny196775
  Lonely due to being shy, or not finding anyone you like? Keane 26 1,993 08-21-2014 09:46 PM
Last Post: Darrell_Licht
  Do some people revel in the "martyrdom" of loneliness? Kxty33 21 1,281 08-11-2014 01:48 PM
Last Post: Musicman
  Another Lonely Post xaero 9 454 07-12-2014 06:12 AM
Last Post: xaero
  I am Mr Lonely Omnipotent Soul 4 376 07-10-2014 01:39 PM
Last Post: Omnipotent Soul
  Married and Lonely seeking friends tangy002 19 11,699 06-30-2014 05:36 PM
Last Post: Edward W
  how many people thought of ending ur own life? paresh3d 134 8,950 06-28-2014 08:01 AM
Last Post: VeganAtheist
  When people aren't quite satisfied with success Tealeaf 4 299 06-27-2014 02:33 PM
Last Post: edamame721
  Disabled Facebook Today Case 111 3,867 06-11-2014 12:21 AM
Last Post: Blossomforth