Not everyone chooses to be lonely

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niceguysfinishlast

Reaction score
Some people like me have family that cares more about what THEY want than what YOU want. My family's pretty unreasonable when preventing me from hanging out with friends. Almost every single weekend i have to visit relatives and family friends (family friends as in my parents' friends and their families). They guilt-trip me if i want to do anything else and my social life has been disappearing before my very eyes to where i never see my friends anymore. It gets worse as i get older. I guess this is what happens when you get older. The older i get, the less i have. It's to the point where i'll probably never have a social life ever again.

This is why i feel like i have no control over my life. It's like other people dictate it. This is why i'm moving out next year once i'm done with college. I need a social life, i really do. My family has nothing in common with me when it comes to interests and even views on things.

Am i saying my family's horrible? No, but i needed to rant about my seemingly lifetime lack of a social life. This is pretty much my only problem with them.

Your story reminds me of this boy who lived down the road. When he was 15 I asked if he'd like to make some money doing stuff like digging and painting, and junk, and he said yes. He worked for me for a couple of years, and he liked to talk to me while he worked. He'd had it with his family, school, and life in general. He wanted so badly to get out on his own, be his own man. He was angry alot. I remember telling him to hang on, it seems so long away, but the time to leave will get here and then you'll wonder why you thought it was so far away. I used to tell him how interesting he was, how I liked to hear what he had to say. It's true, he really was interesting. And he'd ask me odd questions, which turned out to have to do with comparing me with his parents and how they were.

I think he's like 23 now, making it on his own in another city, not living with his parents. I haven't seen him in a long time, but a couple of years ago I saw him and I told him, "you made it!". I think he knew what I meant.

Dunno what this has to do with anything, your rant reminded me, is all.

Sometimes said:
Your story reminds me of this boy who lived down the road. When he was 15 I asked if he'd like to make some money doing stuff like digging and painting, and junk, and he said yes. He worked for me for a couple of years, and he liked to talk to me while he worked. He'd had it with his family, school, and life in general. He wanted so badly to get out on his own, be his own man. He was angry alot. I remember telling him to hang on, it seems so long away, but the time to leave will get here and then you'll wonder why you thought it was so far away. I used to tell him how interesting he was, how I liked to hear what he had to say. It's true, he really was interesting. And he'd ask me odd questions, which turned out to have to do with comparing me with his parents and how they were.

I think he's like 23 now, making it on his own in another city, not living with his parents. I haven't seen him in a long time, but a couple of years ago I saw him and I told him, "you made it!". I think he knew what I meant.

Dunno what this has to do with anything, your rant reminded me, is all.

It does relate to my rant. He was lonely but he didn't want to be and he moved out of his parents' house (something i might do before next summer). I wouldn't say i'm angry a lot, just discontent with the way my life's going.

niceguysfinishlast said:
Some people like me have family that cares more about what THEY want than what YOU want. My family's pretty unreasonable when preventing me from hanging out with friends. Almost every single weekend i have to visit relatives and family friends (family friends as in my parents' friends and their families). They guilt-trip me if i want to do anything else and my social life has been disappearing before my very eyes to where i never see my friends anymore. It gets worse as i get older. I guess this is what happens when you get older. The older i get, the less i have. It's to the point where i'll probably never have a social life ever again.

This is why i feel like i have no control over my life. It's like other people dictate it. This is why i'm moving out next year once i'm done with college. I need a social life, i really do. My family has nothing in common with me when it comes to interests and even views on things.

Am i saying my family's horrible? No, but i needed to rant about my seemingly lifetime lack of a social life. This is pretty much my only problem with them.
That is the same with me.

Ah the family guilt-trip, I hate that. I don't know how bad your family are at listening to you but if possible you really need to put your foot down and be more assertive with what you want. Maybe explain in advance that you've made plans with some friends for example? Otherwise I think it could be hard for things to improve as it's something they constantly expect as well as knowing that guilt-tripping works. If not hopefully moving out after college should help you out a lot.

What can I say? I've experienced this a lot in my life... perhaps still do. It's hard to get out of it while you're around family and you've been accustomed and conditioned to just go along growing up.

You're lucky to even be able to have that choice to move out. I wish you all the best and hope it works out for you.

Chris516 said:
niceguysfinishlast said:

That is the same with me.

Are we brothers lol. Nah, i don't have a brother named chris. XD

Katerina said:
Ah the family guilt-trip, I hate that. I don't know how bad your family are at listening to you but if possible you really need to put your foot down and be more assertive with what you want. Maybe explain in advance that you've made plans with some friends for example? Otherwise I think it could be hard for things to improve as it's something they constantly expect as well as knowing that guilt-tripping works. If not hopefully moving out after college should help you out a lot.

I hope so too kat. Thanks for the advice! :)

Latest posts

Back