A solution to loving oneself?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tusk

Reaction score
Okay, this will be a somewhat New Age-y post, so here:
I was sitting, on my floor, meditating to some music to stimulate emotions and to have something to focus on. After a while, I started thinking, or I "got a vision", that I'm actually two entities; one rational mind that does all the reasoning, and one emotional. The emotional mind generates all the feelings, and by listening to music I get waves of emotions that wash over me. I view the emotional mind from the rational mind's perspective and I can accept the emotions that were generated. I had to spend some effort, or non-effort, to accept the feelings completely, but then I started to view this emotional mind almost as another person. A bit like a black box that made me feel things. I suddenly found that I started to like this black box, that I might actually be able to love this box. It was interesting!
Maybe that's what it means to love oneself. You can like your rational mind for what kind of person you are, all the good you've done, but to love yourself you have to have this non-logical emotion about your emotional mind. A strange loop.
Does it make any sense? I guess it's what the romantics have been saying all the time, in one way. It's not logical, it's acceptance.

In a lonely place said:
Kinda like it. I think!
Emotions and reason. They have to work together. :)

Yeah, I think so. You should be able to experience your emotions completely, while sometimes it might be a good idea for your rational mind to control them better. I think this works for a person that doesn't have too many emotions all of the time, but for other persons it might be dangerous, perhaps?
Btw, I rewrote my post. I think it's a bit better now.

This twoness rings bells. Yin-yang?
And how about this: Drawing Hands
On a more serious note, maybe picturing these two minds in other people will make me more interested in communicating with them. Create connections. Make them feel great.

yeah... sometimes we need to focus to really appreciate ourselves... I can agree with that..

I think I need to do more of that this weekend. thanks. Im all booked up now.. lol

Its not an untraditional notion, in fact, the separation between the 'lower mind' versus the 'higher mind'. Also of note: the id, ego and superego. Either way, being able to be able to appreciate oneself allows us to be better for others too

Latest posts

Back