A Teetotal Life

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lost Drifter said;
"Edit: So tonight went far better than I feared. Sure there were the initial jokes about me not drinking, the usual questions and I felt a tad left out when conversation turned to alcohol talk but people soon dropped the nonsense and we all had a good time.
Also had kisses from a number of ladies who confessed to having crushes on me, yay!"

Nice! :D

Seosa said:
GioRocket said:
Seosa said:
I can't be doing with people who need booze to have a good time.

Amen!

Tbf, I do drink albeit rarely, but I just don't see the need to get drunk.

"The most important thing to remember about drunks is that drunks are far more intelligent than non-drunks- they spend a lot of time talking in pubs, unlike workaholics who concentrate on their careers and ambitions, who never develop their higher spiritual values, who never explore the insides of their head like a drunk does." - Shane Macgowan

Poguesy said:
"The most important thing to remember about drunks is that drunks are far more intelligent than non-drunks- they spend a lot of time talking in pubs, unlike workaholics who concentrate on their careers and ambitions, who never develop their higher spiritual values, who never explore the insides of their head like a drunk does." - Shane Macgowan

That is bizzarre...

GioRocket said:
Poguesy said:

That is bizzarre...

It's the truth.

Poguesy said:

OR, you might not need alcohol to delve into your mind's eye and find out about yourself.

Don't like alcohol at all.

But if you can peer pressure me... I drank so much once, I had dry mouth for days. Totally not worth it.

Poguesy said:

Lol wow. Let alone the myriad debilitating brain diseases a lifetime of drinking can cause, this statement assumes that simply by abstaining from alcohol one becomes an anti-social workaholic without any values or knowledge of self other than materialistic ambition. I would venture a guess that Shane MacGowan is a little off his rocker. Could his detachment from reality be due to a lifetime of poisoning his body and mind? Hmm, food for thought.

Bob Arctor said:
Poguesy said:

Lol wow. Let alone the myriad debilitating brain diseases a lifetime of drinking can cause, this statement assumes that simply by abstaining from alcohol one becomes an anti-social workaholic without any values or knowledge of self other than materialistic ambition. I would venture a guess that Shane MacGowan is a little off his rocker. Could his detachment from reality be due to a lifetime of poisoning his body and mind? Hmm, food for thought.

Just talking about the craic in the pub.

Poguesy said:
Bob Arctor said:
Poguesy said:

Just talking about the craic in the pub.

No saying "drunks are far more intelligent than non-drunks" isn't just speaking to enjoyable social banter. It's pretty insulting to anyone who doesn't drink, and a fairly idiotic generalization.

Alcohol? Heavens, no! (Unless you count that fermented sludge I keep behind the shed in the giant plastic jugs, but you really didn't need to know that. :x)

Fun fact! Did you know that it would have been impossible for alcohol to not have been invented? Alcohol is usually created through processes of fermentation, which would have happened naturally in exceedingly wet environments when ancient man did not have access to food preservation technology! But that wouldn't have stopped the early men from trying to eat the bad food, (as food was hard to come by!), and getting drunk was discovered!

Lost Drifter said:
rdor said:
Teetotalers can do their fair share of judging too.

Some people drink because they actually like what they're drinking. Drinking does not automatically = drunk.

Who's judging?

um..after reading the rest of the thread there appears to be plenty of judging.

I don't know if you guys have heard of the concept of moderation. Apparently not. Some of us like the relaxing effect of a couple of beers but could still enjoy ourselves without.
I'm fine with your choice by the way.

Bob Arctor said:
Poguesy said:

Ah you have to read it in context, Shane McGowan is a drunk but also a legend and a poet, least we forget....

"It was Christmas Eve babe
In the drunk tank
An old man said to me, won't see another one
And then he sang a song
The Rare Old Mountain Dew
I turned my face away
And dreamed about you

Got on a lucky one
Came in at eighteen to one
I've got a feeling
This year's for me and you
So Happy Christmas
I love you baby
I can see a better time
When all our dreams come true"

Anyway, I think theres plenty of people expressing the view they can't stand drunk people or people who need to get drunk to have a good time. I think Poguesy quoting Shane McGowan was the only counter view expressed which is somewhat tongue in cheek if you know the man. I have spent a lot of money getting drunk and had a lot of fun spending it. Nowadays I drink less, my lifestyle has changed but I don't regret it, have some happy if hazy memories.

If you don't want to drink fine, of course it is, but don't wear it like a badge of honour as if it makes you better than people who like a drink. Thats what we like to call a self righteous idiot tbh.

The Good Citizen said:
Bob Arctor said:
Poguesy said:

Ah you have to read it in context, Shane McGowan is a drunk but also a legend and a poet, least we forget....

"It was Christmas Eve babe
In the drunk tank
An old man said to me, won't see another one
And then he sang a song
The Rare Old Mountain Dew
I turned my face away
And dreamed about you

Got on a lucky one
Came in at eighteen to one
I've got a feeling
This year's for me and you
So Happy Christmas
I love you baby
I can see a better time
When all our dreams come true"

I love that song but I have absolutely no idea what the lyrics actually mean lol

I wouldn't even know what the lyrics are if I hadn't looked them up, he doesn't have the best pronunciation xD

Latest posts

Back