A word of wisdom from me

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldyoung

Reaction score
"You can't be lazy, AND social".

Being social always brings some discomfort. You got to plan and schedule, you got to travel short or long distances, you might have to spend money, you might have to hang out with people you don't get that well along with...

But in my experience it tends to be worth the discomfort.

Why would you want to hang out with people you don't get along with? Also, not everyone has money to spend or go on trips or any of that.

But yeah, you can be lazy AND social.

@up, @up Maybe you're not lazy enough?

I agree with Oldyoung. If you are really lazy your motivation to socialize is so low. I think that I loose some friends just because of my laziness. Being lazy is sometimes like disease. You only feel that ground draws you down. You don't have energy to get out of bed, to make a sandwich, to talk, to do any hobby, to go anywhere, to bath, to breath, to live. Anything. Maybe it can be named as depression but I think it's different. Being lazy mean that you aren't compatible with people. You can't sometimes keep in touch with them, just because you don't have energy for that. And then the contacts just breaks.

TheRealCallie said:
Why would you want to hang out with people you don't get along with? Also, not everyone has money to spend or go on trips or any of that.
Well, spending money is a discomfort. But in some cases you have the choice of walking instead of taking the bus for example

My point was, it's better to hang out with people than not, even if the relations between you aren't perfect.
TheRealCallie said:

I would like an example then. Of a way of being social that's more convenient than staying home and watching TV in your underwear.

Oldyoung said:
"You can't be lazy, AND social".

Being social always brings some discomfort. You got to plan and schedule, you got to travel short or long distances, you might have to spend money, you might have to hang out with people you don't get that well along with...

But in my experience it tends to be worth the discomfort.

I mostly agree with that. Unless you have a large, close family that lives nearby, thereby giving you a handy built-in real-life social network, you have to make some effort to be social.
These days, however, sitting with your head down and staring at a screen and clicking "like" on memes and meaningless posts or re-tweeting rubbish is what passes for "social" these days. Anyone who believes that is truly social behavior is a sad case, in my opinion.

-Teresa

TheRealCallie said:
Oldyoung said:
TheRealCallie said:

I would like an example then. Of a way of being social that's more convenient than staying home and watching TV in your underwear.

Making the social come to you.....then you can all watch TV in your underwear together :D

Was about to say exactly this until I saw your reply. :D
Remember OY: clean undies! Don't wait three months.

Aisha said:
TheRealCallie said:
Oldyoung said:
TheRealCallie said:

Making the social come to you.....then you can all watch TV in your underwear together :D

Was about to say exactly this until I saw your reply. :D
Remember OY: clean undies! Don't wait three months.

Clean sheets and dishes too!

hey, let's not go overboard with dishes. We are being lazy, after all :club:

I think that it is possible to be lazy and social, just on different days from each other.
To the Real Callie if you visit this thread again-you wrote on another thread-I don't remember which one-to someone that they could try new groups regularly and I took your advice on this and dropped the reading group I was going to and have started going to church instead as I was feeling stale at the reading group. Not sure how it will pan out, but there are more places I can try if the church isn't for me.

Generally, yes. It's worth thinking about the type and amount of discomfort, though, as some people's schedules and need for time can't be reconciled. One wants four hours a day, one gets tired after two, etc.

This is probably why for many people making friends while in school was easier. You'd see each other in the hallways, during lunch, before or during class, etc. There was always a reason to be in the same place at the same time, and that was during the day, too. After was just more potential time to spend together if you wanted to go rent movies. We used to have a Blockbuster around here that we'd walk to in the evenings to grab cheap horror flicks.

Finding things to do with some people is tough, though. Four of the people I play games with online tend to stick together as couples and do things together early evenings, so it's been difficult to get to know them without feeling like I'm butting in on their time together. The late-night crowd and I are always bumping into each other, so it's become more natural to start talking as friends in voice chat. Although, someone had to be the first one to start talking, the one to make the invitation, etc. Same thing as above, really.

Well. Let's go about this in order.

I generally agree with you, OY, that you can't be lazy and social, in the sense that, as some people have said, unless you are already in a group/community or have already friends/people you know in general, it's really difficult. (well ok.. I guess this was obvious).

Now I wanted to say (but some of you may know) that I'm a very lazy person. Some way or another I manage to keep being a bit social since I have housemates and three gus who check on me like once a month, to hang out.
On the other hand, I think I haven't got to know a single new person at least for last year.

I admit it's true that I don't try much to meet new people but... well it's difficult for me.
And anyways in general most of the times I don't really want to hang out, but I do realize I'm supposed to, once in a while. Some rare times it goes well too. But, no matter what, meeting friends and talking makes me feel drained for days even, sometimes.

I don't really know what I wanted to say... I guess something along the lines of "it's difficult to even try for some people and I personally don't think it's mostly worth it". But hey, who knows, maybe with time I'll find the right "group" of people or I might become better at this socializing thing.

Signed. A lazy wayfarer XD

TheRealCallie said:

You are hereby invited. Just bear in mind that I reserve the right to fart at any time. If I have to leave the room to do so, it won't be convenient enough.

Also, I won't bother to shower before you arrive either. Even though I'm starting to smell now, it doesn't bother me, since it's "my" scent.

And bring your own food. I can't be bothered to dish up with anything.

When are you coming over? :cool:
Others than Jen might also come as long as they accept the house rules.

Wayfarer said:
I don't really know what I wanted to say... I guess something along the lines of "it's difficult to even try for some people and I personally don't think it's mostly worth it". But hey, who knows, maybe with time I'll find the right "group" of people or I might become better at this socializing thing.

That's true. I won't say I'm that social either, but when I'm on the verge of skipping out on some social event, I tell myself that phrase in the first post to get going. If something doesn't interest you at all in the first place it's a different matter.

Being social has it's benefits.

Hanging out and forming bonds with others can satisfy emotional needs and make you more happier.

But at the same time, it must be done with moderation.

If you spend all day every day hanging out with people, you will never have time to yourself for other life priorities.

Latest posts

Back