Afraid of being clingy

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the hunt... there are few things more exciting than learning something new every day about a person on whom you've been crushing. I adore the feeling I get when I see someone I've been thinking about for so long; even if it's just sitting by them at lunch, or getting to wait with them in line and exchange that oh-so-meaningful-at-least-to-me small talk, or swing by their office and relish the opportunity to go on break with them when they agree to do so.

However, why should the fun end then? The only thing better than getting attention from the person you've become fond of would have to be getting their exclusive affections! I've felt the feeling of mutual trust on such a level seldomly in my life; like you, it didn't last long.

My ideal relationship will be one in which the fire doesn't extinguish, nor does the magic dissapate. While I know nothing is perfect, I envision it to be such a situation as to never let either of us forget that when we're apart, we're not complete.

I have almost the same issue. I know I'm clingy, yet I've been told that I come off as being uninterested to someone. Or I seem "unavailable". But I know for a fact I'm clingy. I'm actually stopping myself from getting so attached so easily.

Claire1978 said:
aFIREinside80 said:
And what's a real shame are the countless people who lose interest after "the hunt" is over.

That's because infatuation isn't lasting and strong infatuation can often resemble & be mistaken for love.

InDespair said:
Claire1978 said:
aFIREinside80 said:
And what's a real shame are the countless people who lose interest after "the hunt" is over.

That's because infatuation isn't lasting and strong infatuation can often resemble & be mistaken for love.

Very true. Lust is another thing that could possibly be mistaken for true love.

I think I may be emotionally clingy,but I don't know. I don't want to let go of something I think may be potentially great (guys who may show interest,or friends) that it may make me come off as needy.

I just feel like I don't want to lose something I've never had,and loss has been the story of my life.

I can be pretty clingy, but I just recently realized it (it just never occurred to me before). I"m shy so it's hard for me to open up to people or make friends, but the very few friends I have I tend to be too clingy with. I know I am definitely clingy with my husband. It's almost like I expect him to be everything and everyone to me because I don't have anyone else.

One of my problems with my ex was the exact opposite. o_0 It's not that I never touched her...but I think she always expected me to be more clingy...and that's just not who I am. When I'm in a relationship with a woman, I don't WANT to be everywhere with her all of the time, always hanging on each other.

It's nice to hold hands or cuddle every now and then or walk arm in arm and junk...but climbing on each other all the time and everywhere you go, with never a moment to yourself? Calling or texting each other every two minutes? Being expected to come home at 5pm every night and never getting to go out and play poker with the boys?

I couldn't imagine a more terrible sort of hell. :p (and I'm not being sarcastic).

----Steve

Latest posts

Back