Alter Ego or Seperate Persona

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Lonely One

Reaction score
I feel that inorder for me to go through some parts of my life I need to form a alter ego or persona...This might sound dumb but what are the negative effects of one?

I don't have an answer, but I used to take swigs of vodka to get me through some parts of my life :D I might start doing it again.

I've been told by a therapist that I live a double-life. Didn't sit with me too well.

Feel free to PM me to talk more about it.

It's normal to have a persona inorder to interact with the outside world, according to carl jung, everyone has one, people act differently infront of different people, it is necessary to get along with people, as long as you don't become too identified with it and were able to develop other parts of your psych and be aware of your own emotion, it's normal.

Negative thing is when you grow too attached to it, if you lose that certain attachment that defined this persona, you'll lose your self identification. At least that is how I understand it. Also if you're always on this persona, there might be other things which you will repress into your subconscious because they're against the will of your ego, and if you're not connected to that person who define that persona, your repressed self (shadow) will try to break free, which results on this huge gap between the two self.

Edit: and I'm not expert on this so you may want to google about it.

Is it really an issue of multiple personas, or just you, being socially adaptive?

Lawrens has expressed it well in Jungian terms. As he says, the danger is where there is a gap between the 2 selves.

I think we are all chameleons. We adapt according to our environment or who we are with at the time.

I have an alter ego, its name is Lurker, it embodies all my negative qualities. Soph embodies all my good.

Guess it's not as abnormal as you thought :)

No, it's quite normal, I had one. In the real non-internet world I'm super nice and a little emotionally detached. So somewhere along the way a sort of Evil me emerged known as Mr. Brightside. While this is the first time I've ever spoken about him outside of my own psyche, he has been absent for years now I'm thankful to say. I was able to meld him a little more with my normal Me personality and make myself stronger. I'll probably do it again at some point to make myself more...... I don't really know how to put it....... outgoing?

He still appears as a face in my thoughts to remind be that I can't just be quiet when something's bothering me or when I know I need to tell someone something that might hurt them. He's even helped me become more confident. The image appears sometimes when I want to talk to someone who I would have otherwise shyed away from due to my own self imposed feeling of un-worthiness.

This is normal, the trick is to not let it make you sick and to know when it's becoming a problem.

It depends how you percieve it, consiousness, awareness or what your belive are about it.

Keep an open mind....
"Your Higher self" is not that much different of a conception or principle of an alter ego.
It's just the lable we assign to it.

Or namista (maybe I missed spelled it) = The god within me.

Lets say you were conditioned by others or through your own belive that you are not good enough.
You put down yourself, you live through fears, guilt and shame...
It's your ego (little mind) that'll keep you in this state of being.

Intuitively you know...that there's nothing wrong with you.
To compensate...you created what you so call as an alter ego becuase you have been conditioned
to feel guilty or belive that it's wrong.

You can either use it for you or against you. It's neutrual.

Common sense will tell me...that it's healthier to love myself, no that I'm okay with me,
feel good about myself, know that Im capiable and have the power within myself to do anything,
live as I wish, follow my hopes and dreams. Accomplish anything I wish to accomplish in life...

The guilt and shame comes from others that will tell you..."NO you can't..who do you think you are?"
" you're not good enough", " you don't have what it takes"...etc

You have a chioce...to belive or not. It's what you belive about yourself, what you think about yourself.
Or would you rather live your life to what other think of you, tell you what you can or can't do?
Or rather it's the belive of other beliefs that they can't.

From personal experince. Recently I've been going through alot of changes.
I came across alot of new beliefs and new ideas. I kept and openmind.
I got to this point becuase I got sick and tired of being sick and tired of live life the way I was living.
Most of my old beliefs, limited self impoose beliefs or ideas no longer serves me or they actaully were working against me.
Now that I chioce to change my ways of thinking (beliefs). I feel you much better about mysef, life.
My life is getter better and better everyday....it's was a challegne within myself at first to CHANGE my beliefs
but I continusly reaffirm or recondition my thinking. CHANGE your thinking change your life.
I now belief that I'm spiritaul whole and perfect. I am a perfect being.
I also notice that other people with old belief or ideas like I used to have would tell me or say that I was crazy or
"who do you thinking you are?..."your egotistic"

I belive its my ego that's telling me that " Im not good enough or deserving"

I can't change other people....I changed me. I love myself. I love how I am and who I am today, NOW.
It's my chioce. It's my freedom to belive and live as I chose. I chose this. I chose happiness.
I have control and power over my life now...It's my responsiblities and chioce.

Venetia said:
Lawrens has expressed it well in Jungian terms. As he says, the danger is where there is a gap between the 2 selves.

I think we are all chameleons. We adapt according to our environment or who we are with at the time.

I agree with that....I have to be careful.

And I do thank you all for answering, thanks again....:)

Latest posts

Back