Anybody noticed any changes when it comes to geography?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

driftboy87

Reaction score
As I've mentioned before, I moved around a lot growing up. New school every couple of years at least. Four different states. Now after 4 years living back in New England, I remembered how much I truly can't stand the people here. I knew this back in middle and high schools and yet I powered through, even keeping some people around since it's the normal thing to do. And after taking off for college 2300 miles away in the desert, I still kept in touch with a lot of them. You just get used to the people around you, since you spent 5 days a week with them most weeks out of the year.

All my high school friends have moved, gotten married, or otherwise disappeared. I had a falling out with a bunch of them at once a few years ago over some typical adolescent drama turned much uglier than it had to be. I don't miss them except for when I'm seriously bored almost to tears. But now it seems that all the new people I've met in actuality suck just as hard.

I call it Townie Syndrome (if you're not familiar with New England, most towns have less than 10000 people and sometimes rivalry between towns would have you believe that the people imagine themselves as their Italian/Polish/Irish ancestors from a millenia ago). Basically, since I haven't known these people since kindergarten, I will never be fully accepted. That dosen't mean that I need to be completely alone, but it seems that whenever I'm invited to spend time with these people, it's for a very specific purpose. For example, providing free transportation, helping with chores/errands, listening to whining, and most recently as an unforeseen date to an absolutely unlayable horny young woman. Once their task for me is complete or I decline, the cell stops ringing, the texts stop, and in a few more extreme cases I'm removed and blocked from facebook friend lists.

I haven't found any friends like the ones I made out west, where I could just chill out, shoot the honeysuckle and enjoy each others company without any real expectations or agendas. It's all about good attitude out west - bring positive vibes and you're more than welcome to stay for the party. You'll probably even make a few more acquaintances who will actually hang out with you in the future! Not here. I've been to "parties" out here where people don't even make eye contact with each other. They show up with their high school clique (even if they're all in their forties), hang out in their designated corner, and leave with their clique. And if you dare try to break in with a smile and an extended hand, you're a rude *******. Can't you see they're trying to talk with their friends? Who the hell invited you anyway? You f-in' re-TAHD. BTW, the accent makes these people sound like drunk mongoloids.

I miss living out West. Sure it's poor (AZ and NM) and full of illegals and cartel members, but the majority of people don't really ******* suck to be around. People who are blatantly rude usually are treated with the cold shoulder they deserve instead of being validated by their co-dependent leech friends. Girls who treat their men like honeysuckle (including BEATING THEM!) are dealt with justly by the law and society, instead of being shielded by others and defended by the law for being a member of a "victimized gender". Friendly people are given an opportunity to introduce themselves even if they happen to be shy, instead of being mocked within ten seconds for being such a pussy. Abusive people aren't tolerated because they come from money or have a killer '95 Tahoe on 20s. Sports are cool but aren't a major contributor towards violent assaults and road rage incidents. A lot of people actually have a life.

I plan on moving out the week after my grandfather kicks it. He's the last thing keeping me here. So sorry for the rant, but back to my original question: has anybody noticed a difference in treatment depending on location?

Sorry to hear your story...I've never been to New England, though I've always wanted to visit.

I've pretty much only lived on the West Coast, and you're right, the people are generally pretty friendly here! That said, that doesn't seem to translate into actually being able to make friends...strangers are happy to talk to you all the time (sometimes when I don't want to, unfortunately...), you can make lots of acquaintances and make friendly conversations with all sorts of people, BUT most of the time you never see these people again, or attempts at actual friendship is thwarted by their constant flakiness.

hmm all my family lives in new england, and I am going there for college in the fall. I know what you mean by townies. I've seen, and unfortunately had contact with some. Maybe go into the cities more? They always have interesting people. If you joined a club in the city, then you'd have ample opportunity to start conversations, and maybe make friends. or maybe get a job(if you don't have one already). That's always a good way to meet people.

Hmmm...I'm fascinated by the fact that what you've described could be MY experience and opinion of my own hometown area, which is just north of Pittsburgh on the Ohio River. Growing up, if you weren't a football player or a skinny cheerleader you were a BIG FAT NOTHING. I will probably suffer from the effects of that effed up place for the rest of my life. God how I hated that place, I STILL hate that place, and when I visit my mum once a year I'm so happy to be getting the hell out after one week -- to return to my new home here in New England. So there you go...

Latest posts

Back