appointment with the family doctor

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickey

Reaction score
From speaking to my brother, I realized that he and my father would feel unable to walk away from me even if caring for me became too much for them. I decided that it wouldn't be fair to them to let myself go blind, so even before I saw the family doctor I decided to go through with the cataract surgery for their sake. (For my own sake it doesn't matter because I have no value whether I have sight or am blind, but I have to think of my father and brother because me being blind would be very bad for _them_.)

The family doctor appointment went very well. I expected to wait about 45 minutes past my appointment time but the wait was only about 10 minutes. We had a longer appointment than usual. The vibe he gave off is that he had good intentions and was doing his best to help me, so I trust him. He explained that, because of the government-funded health care where we live, a second opinion or even finding a different eye doctor to do the surgery would take many months. In the end I had to agree to have the surgery performed by the abusive ******* eye doctor I'd seen on Tuesday. but from what my family doctor tells me at least he's a very good surgeon. My family doctor will phone him and I'm supposed to phone my family doctor in about a week to find out what's happening next.

We also discussed my speculations about borderline personality disorder and he was aware about recent advances in treatment for it. He also said that it had been quite common for patients with BPD to go undiagnosed for many years or even be diagnosed with something else. I briefly speculated about having my diagnosis of schizophrenia reversed, which could mean retroactively losing eligibility for disability benefits and having a huge overpayment to the government in addition to a complete loss of income, but ethics comes first. I"m being referred for evaluation at the same institution where I was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1991, and which no doubt can dig out my records from that time. I stressed that my focus is on getting a proper diagnosis and receiving proper treatment so I can maximize my mental, emotional and social functioning, and as things stand right now that's what will be going on. If it happens then having the surgery and not going blind would be a plus.

The only negative is that I have to have the surgery under general anaesthetic and am very concerned about never reviving for any of several reasons. In order to deal with that, I'm going to approach the cataract surgery like it's an execution and expect to die during it. If I survive it then I'll be pleasantly surprised, but at least in the meantime I'll feel relatively safe.

You are both courageous mickey, and caring.

I just saw your previous post, before you saw the doctor:

I see my family doctor in about three hours, but he'll be an hour and a half behind schedule and won't have time for long discussions. I expect him to be brusque and dismissive. All I'll end up doing is apologizing for having wasted his time and walking out. And eventually going blind.

Hang on to the knowledge that you don't know ahead of time how it will go, you don't know that it will all be bad. All the awful-izing ahead of time was unecessary.

mickey said:
From speaking to my brother, I realized that he and my father would feel unable to walk away from me even if caring for me became too much for them. I decided that it wouldn't be fair to them to let myself go blind, so even before I saw the family doctor I decided to go through with the cataract surgery for their sake. (For my own sake it doesn't matter because I have no value whether I have sight or am blind, but I have to think of my father and brother because me being blind would be very bad for _them_.)

The family doctor appointment went very well. I expected to wait about 45 minutes past my appointment time but the wait was only about 10 minutes. We had a longer appointment than usual. The vibe he gave off is that he had good intentions and was doing his best to help me, so I trust him. He explained that, because of the government-funded health care where we live, a second opinion or even finding a different eye doctor to do the surgery would take many months. In the end I had to agree to have the surgery performed by the abusive ******* eye doctor I'd seen on Tuesday. but from what my family doctor tells me at least he's a very good surgeon. My family doctor will phone him and I'm supposed to phone my family doctor in about a week to find out what's happening next.

We also discussed my speculations about borderline personality disorder and he was aware about recent advances in treatment for it. He also said that it had been quite common for patients with BPD to go undiagnosed for many years or even be diagnosed with something else. I briefly speculated about having my diagnosis of schizophrenia reversed, which could mean retroactively losing eligibility for disability benefits and having a huge overpayment to the government in addition to a complete loss of income, but ethics comes first. I"m being referred for evaluation at the same institution where I was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1991, and which no doubt can dig out my records from that time. I stressed that my focus is on getting a proper diagnosis and receiving proper treatment so I can maximize my mental, emotional and social functioning, and as things stand right now that's what will be going on. If it happens then having the surgery and not going blind would be a plus.

The only negative is that I have to have the surgery under general anaesthetic and am very concerned about never reviving for any of several reasons. In order to deal with that, I'm going to approach the cataract surgery like it's an execution and expect to die during it. If I survive it then I'll be pleasantly surprised, but at least in the meantime I'll feel relatively safe.

Deep Respect! I hope all goes well for you. Please keep us informed on any developments x

mickey said:

I'm glad that you are going to go ahead and the surgery after all, and the motivation that you are using, it's very nice and courageous of you to do that. Also, I'm glad for your own sake - a family member of mine did not do the surgery in time, and unfortunately lost a good deal of vision. Even if the surgery could be done now, I don't think they would regain as much of their vision as they would have had they acted sooner. It would be terrible if you lost your vision when it didn't even need to be this way. I think having one's sight greatly contributes to your quality of life.

mickey said:
The family doctor appointment went very well.

Glad to hear that as well, after your unpleasant experience with the eye doctor.

mickey said:

If I may ask, why are you so worried about not reviving and why do you expect a negative outcome? I went under once in my life, and I guess I was a little worried but ultimately I decided to go through with it anyway.

This could be the very, very first time in my life I've ever put someone else ahead of myself. It feels so strange. But I also feel that I'm making the right decision and that justice is on my side. Hopefully anyone who has something personal against me will realize that my father and brother are totally innocent and blameless, and that my death would put them through sheer hell they don't deserve to go through, so that I can just regain consciousness after the surgery and be okay.

mickey said:
and that my death would put them through sheer hell they don't deserve to go through, so that I can just regain consciousness after the surgery and be okay.

**** sounds like you are loved very much.

Been reading a book on why people commit suicide and a few things you mentioned in your post are things that those who contemplate suicide do. Such as valuing the lives of others over their own and also not being able to hurt others. Hurt others as in commit suicide and have their love ones be in pain.

It's similar I suppose, but not right on the mark.

Latest posts

Back