Are MMO gamers noob friendly?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locke

Reaction score
I just got an invite to the Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn beta. I was also thinking of checking out some other MMOs, like DCU Online. But I have no experience with the genre. Are people generally friendly and helpful in these types of games, or is it like in online FPS games where people can be hostile jerks sometimes? Any game suggestions would also be welcome.

I actually play DCUO and yeah some people are nice to noobs and will help them and some are utter jerks. It depends on what type of noob you are, there are some who will randomly try to group people without asking. That will get your on a players bad side fast. If you ask the proper way in chat and let people offer their assistance then you'll have no problem. And if you ask stupid questions because you didn't pay attention during your short tutorial (which DCUO does when you start the game) you'll get razed bad. Plus you can't expect to ask for help then let the other person do all the work for you while you stand back and hide.

It's like the rest of the Internet. You meet the nice, friendly folks that are always willing to help, but you also meet the loud-mouthed, insulting, belligerent morons of the world. It often seems like there are more of the latter, but I think they just spend more time typing/talking than the former.

I would say that it helps to have a thick skin...

Lots of guilds/alliances/whatever they're called in those games will offer to take in newer players and help them with things. Usually they're the ones without tougher applications or level/gear requirements.

I really liked the Final Fantasy XIV, A Realm Reborn's beta. It feels like a good MMORPG. ^_^ People are usually helpful, sometimes it's just good to ask from people for help, they won't bite. Of course there are those mean persons too... But try not to think about them. :)

Thanks for the answers guys! I've had good luck finding nice people in co-op games lately (Like in Journey, Borderlands). I was hoping MMOs would be the same. Sorry if it came out as a stupid question.

Sci-Fi said:
I actually play DCUO and yeah some people are nice to noobs and will help them and some are utter jerks. It depends on what type of noob you are, there are some who will randomly try to group people without asking. That will get your on a players bad side fast. If you ask the proper way in chat and let people offer their assistance then you'll have no problem. And if you ask stupid questions because you didn't pay attention during your short tutorial (which DCUO does when you start the game) you'll get razed bad. Plus you can't expect to ask for help then let the other person do all the work for you while you stand back and hide.

So basically, don't act like an idiot in DCU and people won't treat me like one. Got it.

Cavey said:
I would say that it helps to have a thick skin...

Unfortunately, I don't have thick skin.....:(

painter said:
Lots of guilds/alliances/whatever they're called in those games will offer to take in newer players and help them with things. Usually they're the ones without tougher applications or level/gear requirements.

Cool, maybe I'll go to specific forums and look into it.

lonelyfairy said:
I really liked the Final Fantasy XIV, A Realm Reborn's beta. It feels like a good MMORPG. ^_^ People are usually helpful, sometimes it's just good to ask from people for help, they won't bite. Of course there are those mean persons too... But try not to think about them. :)

I guess I'm kinda late to the FFXIV beta party, but on the bright side it should be the newest version. I'm glad to hear that its a good game with nice people. I'll check it out!

Thanks again :)

Fina Fantasy XI was good online community i got a linkshell pretty quick and there was a nice community when it was in its prime, so im hopping FF:ARR is going to be better(i signed up for the ps3 beta yesterday ) and grats on the invite to it.

You might good and bad people on the internet and in-game. As far as noob-friendly an advice would be to chose a class that can summon pets/helpers, works wonders if you are going to play mostly alone and mostly need help from others at the real hard things like bosses etc. An example would be my main character in Guild Wars 2, who is a necromancer. I can summon 5 pets and have them attack all at once, while I stand in the background casting ranged attacks, usually spells that does damage to more than one enemy at once and give them efflictions like poison, fire or slow.

ScruffyMcFly said:
Fina Fantasy XI was good online community i got a linkshell pretty quick and there was a nice community when it was in its prime, so im hopping FF:ARR is going to be better(i signed up for the ps3 beta yesterday ) and grats on the invite to it.

I've played XIV a few times, and I like it so far. Did you get into the beta?

EJH said:
You might good and bad people on the internet and in-game. As far as noob-friendly an advice would be to chose a class that can summon pets/helpers, works wonders if you are going to play mostly alone and mostly need help from others at the real hard things like bosses etc. An example would be my main character in Guild Wars 2, who is a necromancer. I can summon 5 pets and have them attack all at once, while I stand in the background casting ranged attacks, usually spells that does damage to more than one enemy at once and give them efflictions like poison, fire or slow.

Thanks, sounds like good advice! Not so different from having companions in a WRPG.

I don't play many MMOs, I used to play tons of Final Fantasy XI though. As everyone's said, it's really just like the rest of the internet with the distribution of good people and jerks, but I think generally as long as you're well mannered and respectful you won't have problems.

But from what I'm hearing from you guys the beta for the new FF MMO is good? May have to check into it.

Latest posts

Back