Are you a good person?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solitary man

Reaction score
Everyone has their own concept of what goodness and badness is, and we all like to think of ourselves as essentially being good people, but behaviours usually speak for themselves. I have always firmly believed that most people's so-called bad, immoral, and/or illegal behaviour has usually stemmed from a position of pain; of having experienced the bad behaviour of others and perhaps engaged in retaliatory bad behaviour. But realistically, the motives for "bad behaviour" are wide and varied; with selfishness, egotism, jealousy, ruthlessness, greed, and the human competitive instinct all having generated bad behaviour.

Can you call yourself "a good person", without feeling that you have just told a lie?

I would have to put aside all the insecurities and doubts about myself to be able to answer that question honestly and I don't know if I could do that.
I haven't always been a good person, there was a time when I would make everyone miserable just because I could. I would fight, I would get vindictive. If you messed with me, I'd make you regret it....with no remorse.
Now, yes, I screw up sometimes (usually not intentionally), but I do feel remorse. I put others before myself, I would rather they be happy than being selfish and only getting what I want. I can't remember the last time I did something for myself. I care about people, probably more than I should. But, because of how much I care about people, I usually don't let a lot of people in, which usually equates to them thinking I'm just a *****....and I can be, I won't deny that. I like being a ***** sometimes, it comes in handy when people hurt me or the people I care about.

So, I don't really know how to answer that whether I'm a good person or not. I'd like to think I am, but I suppose others would be able to tell me if I am better than I could say myself.

Do good people really exist though? Cause we all screw up from time to time. I try to be a good person, but I know my flaws and have done wrong like everybody does. I just try to do the best I can and that's all I can do.

I just don't think that there are people who are "better" than others, is really what I mean. People aren't perfect. And that's just how it is. Not good or bad.

I think there are different ratios of goodness and badness in all of us, and without having to go through a laborious philosophical discussion on definitions of good and bad, I think it would be fair to say that many people recognise the difference between the person and the deed.

For example, I consider myself to be a good person at my core, but I recognise that I have done bad things. Does that not make me a bad person? I don't think so, but understand that some may disagree. I am a good person who has done bad things as well as good things, and there are bad people out there who have also done good things as well as bad things.

Bad people have feigned kindness, sympathy, philanthropy, a caring disposition et al, and to conceal their true vile nature and manipulate others. But what caused the ratio of badness and goodness in the bad person to have tilted so far into majority bad and thus made them bad? Again, it's another question with a million answers.

I've known people who have feigned good only for their sanctimonious, Good Samaritan, Holier than thou act to crumble. When the curtain falls and you see the person for who and what they are, it can be quite distressing, as you thought you had known that person, when all the time it was just an act.

I try to be the best person I can be, but also feel my demons flap their wings every day. Sometimes I allow them to fly, but mostly I try to bring them under control.

I'm a very strong believer in the unconscious mind, and feel that there is more going on in there than we could ever imagine or be aware of. Sometimes I behave in ways that I cannot give a conscious or rational explanation for. I know that my attitudes and actions are being motivated by something that lies beyond the conscious mind, and that although it doesn't make sense on a conscious level, if I journeyed deep enough inward, I would probably find rational, comprehensible, reasons for my behaviour.

But I'm not sure if I want to go there, as some things are probably best kept unknown.

I am now. Was I always, a strong NO.

Have I forgiven myself- I doubt it as I don't really understand the concept. I just know that each day I don't make the same callous decisions I used to make, I treat people with respect (unless they go out of their way to give me reason not to), and every day I attempt some random act of kindness.

I like being this gentler person.

Am I a good person? I don't know, but I try. Sometimes that's all a person can do.

Well this is an easy one, I'm an ******* who is always helping everyone.

This comes down to that I am always insulting everyone and just fresia everything up, but when someone needs help I will always be there for that person. That is because I have been raised with seeing my dad always being good for people and never make a problem out of helping people.

Latest posts

Back