Ban on Big Sugary Drinks

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I will admit that sugary drinks aren't the healthiest beverages out there, and can cause weight gain, but I believe that the obesity is caused more by physical inactivity.

With the Internet and video games being so much fun and thrilling these days, people are surfing/gaming for hours on end as opposed to being on the basketball court or at a skateboard park.

Those who have a horrendous diet and never exercise, can hardly blame it all on the choice of food and drink. If you drink a bottle of Coke from time to time, that's alright. If you are sucking down 10 bottles a day, that's different. But that's your choice. You are well aware of what it contains, and it's potential for weight gain and other unhealthy substances.

Admittedly, I drink a lot of pop, so I'm not innocent either.

That is a bold move... Taking away someone's freedom to drink something that's bad for them. On the one hand he's right, and people really shouldn't drink so much of that stuff; but on the other hand it's a lot like the Prohibition, which didn't go over well :(

I can imagine whole new a black market popping up... Psst buddy, want a Hawaiian Punch? :D

As i read it you would just have to go down to the grocery store or convenience store if you had to have more that 16 ounces of Hawaiian Punch in a single container.

Is the 12 ounce can/bottle a thing of the past?

I don't get what the big deal is. You can save a lot of money by not buying the soft drink at a fast food restaurant. I take it home and then drink whatever I want. I could buy a 2 liter at the grocery store and have a lot of drinks from that much cheaper.
If you are in a fast food place. Get a small drink and just get free refills.

And I'm sure obesity levels will be lower thanks to this ban (I'm being extremely sarcastic).

We need to have a nationwide effort in this country to combat obesity, which is one of the worst public health problems in recent memory. Here's a few things they should consider:

1) Remove all subsidies for the sugar industry. Ever wonder why fresh, healthy food costs more than junk? That didn't used to be the case. Junk food used to be more costly until they started subsidizing the industries that produce it.

2) Increase funding for public service announcements promoting healthy eating habits. We used PSA's in the 70s and 80s, with the help of Mothers Against Drunk Driving, to combat DUIs and it brought about a major change. No reason we can't do this again.

3) Increase funding nationwide to ensure that the Federal school lunch program removes all junk food. The kids may be eating junk when they get home, but if they're eating two meals a day, five days a week, at school, it's a big opportunity to teach them about eating healthy.

4) Require two 20-min recess periods and physical education for every grade level. Make the kids take PE and make them spend some time outside on the school grounds.

When you factor in the increased medical costs, lost productivity to the economy, increased absenteeism due to chronic health problems, and other public health issues; by 2020 the total cost of the obesity epidemic will be the equivalent of the entire GDP of Denmark.

I love how one suggestions is for "restaurants could simply charge more for smaller drinks if their sales were to drop". Yeah, that's an excellent solution to a suffering economy. Moron. I'm all for battling obesity but this really isn't the way to go. They need to take a closer look at what they are serving kids in schools, and educate people more. Giving someone a 16 ounce cup for free refills? That just means they have to make more trips, the refills are still FREE.

I use to drink pop all the time in college, until I started to feel ill all the time because all that pop was doing a number on my stomach. I now opt for water and only drink pop on occasion. Anyone ever watch Jamie Oliver's show when he was going around to schools trying to open up their eyes. What some of those schools were serving wasn't very healthy. Around here if a kid brings what the school deems "unhealthy" snacks, a note is sent home with the parents with a list of proper more healthier snack choices. Yet if you take a look at what some of the schools offer it's counter productive. They basically condemn parents for their food choices for their own children yet offer processed foods and equally unhealthy choices.

A couple people already pointed out what I was thinking about how you can get refills and also you could buy 2 smaller bottles which would equal a "super size" also. Maybe taking super size meals off the menu would be a little more effective? It's really a good start with the drinks, but there's an easy way around it. Personally I don't mind cause I don't drink pop anymore. Oh, and I thought it was interesting that this doesn't apply to diet sodas, lol.

Ashariel said:
That is a bold move... Taking away someone's freedom to drink something that's bad for them. On the one hand he's right, and people really shouldn't drink so much of that stuff; but on the other hand it's a lot like the Prohibition, which didn't go over well :(

I can imagine whole new a black market popping up... Psst buddy, want a Hawaiian Punch? :D

If anyone gave a #$%^ the media would be paid to create more positive awareness about this mess. Truth of the matter is stuff that's bad for you is cheap and gives you a rush of happy. Taking something away without replacing it with something better won't do much good. It will be like alcohol and the Prohibition days...then again maybe this will be a good thing to create a movement/community and put people against the government again, maybe even gain some control back from this "democratic" capitalist bullshit!

Make sure the diet soda doesn't have aspartame. That's actually worse than drinking the regular.

Latest posts

Back