Can i break a lease because of loud neighbors

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whocares

Reaction score
The lease i signed has a section that talks about how i am entitled to a "pleasant and orderly" community. It specifically says that radios, tvs, stereo's, etc must be kept at a low volume so that they are not heard outside the unit.

So if this isn't happening can i break the lease? got these two ghetto girls who live next door and they blast loud rap honeysuckle that i can hear in my apartment. so loud that i can feel the vibrations. people r so ******* rude.

i've called management on them twice. the lease says that if i report them for a 3rd time, the management has the right to kick them out. ive reported them twice in 6 months. Each time they get really quiet for about 2-3 weeks but after that it's the same old honeysuckle again.

so can i break my lease because of this? the landlord isn't doing their job i feel like.

The only downside is that this IS a college neighborhood and it's like the norm or some honeysuckle around here to do this, however in my opinion, that doesn't mean i gotta put up with it. i mean the ******* lease i signed says i don't.

thoughts, opinions?

thanks

I'd say report them the 3rd time before you try to break your lease. Technically if it says 3 times, they can't evict them yet and since they did keep it quiet for a while before they resumed, it means that the landlord did talk to them.

If you report them a 3rd time and they aren't evicted, I'd say that gives you a legal right to break the lease.

Yeah what Callie said, it's in your agreement. I know how you feel, I have a noisy neighbour too, drives me nuts.

Sci-Fi said:
Yeah what Callie said, it's in your agreement. I know how you feel, I have a noisy neighbour too, drives me nuts.

god almighty isn't it the worst. I mean right now it's hardly worth it because i only have 4 1/2 weeks left here but ive got so much homework to get done that it just stresses me the hell out to hear that constant thumping.

I mean wtf is wrong with people? what kind of a piece of honeysuckle does this to their neighbors. I feel like morgan freeman in the movie "se7en"
just tired of this society we live in. fresia man its depressing...

I'll leave the key under the mat...
house_1.jpg

LOL That would be perfect.

whocares said:
god almighty isn't it the worst. I mean right now it's hardly worth it because i only have 4 1/2 weeks left here but ive got so much homework to get done that it just stresses me the hell out to hear that constant thumping.

I mean wtf is wrong with people? what kind of a piece of honeysuckle does this to their neighbors. I feel like morgan freeman in the movie "se7en"
just tired of this society we live in. fresia man its depressing...

IKR!! My neighbour was up until 3:30am one night, she does this at least once a week. Last week she was good, it was only until midnight. The week before was when she was up until 3:30 plus before that her dog was outside for 2 1/2 hours barking. Even people walking by were telling it to shut up. Here's the worse thing though, her patio is right outside my bedroom window and right now it's closed. She has several garbage bags and boxes of garbage out there and dog crap all over. I nearly got sick when I noticed all that. I'm going to call my landlord to complain about the noisy gate, cause that thing makes so much **** noise and she insists on going in and out of it. That way he'll see all the trash for himself without me having to mention it. :D

When I moved into the building they had advertised no pets, no smoking, no children. They also told me they wanted quiet tenants. Since I've lived there ALL those "rules" have been broken.

I’d love to have just the one noisy neighbour because at the moment I’ve got a whole street of them. The family to my right will scream, shout and slam doors at all hours, I can hear every single word they say because they insist on yelling through the house to each other and they’re all extremely loud when it comes to sex. The guy to my left plays reggae which isn’t bad in itself but gets tiresome when it’s non-stop, he’ll claim that I’m denying him his culture when I ask him to turn the volume down and if it isn’t him then its his teenage kids swearing at the television.

Then in front (told you it’s the whole freaking neighbourhood) I’ve got a young thug who plays dance music at all hours, so loud that my front windows vibrate and he’s friends with a middle aged couple further down the street who always call over and spend their evenings sat outside bitching at anything they see. They’ll sit there like a pack of animals, beer cans and cigarettes all thrown over the floor, throwing insults or threats at whoever walks past. Being tough guys they especially like picking on girls.

But you know what really bugs me? Is that they’re all friends, every single one of the noisy people have somehow become buddies so fast that I suspect they hold private ‘let’s swear to become best friends’ tea parties while I’m at work. Despite trying to be a nice neighbour offering to shovel snow and pick up shopping during the winter I get treated like the bogeyman while they’ve all become the happy deafening community.

You can break a contract, which is what a lease is, for any reasonable and just cause. Most of the time, loud neighbors is usually a just cause. Do it legally though. Don't just pack up and leave high and dry.

VanillaCreme said:
You can break a contract, which is what a lease is, for any reasonable and just cause. Most of the time, loud neighbors is usually a just cause. Do it legally though. Don't just pack up and leave high and dry.

how do i do it legally?

Lost Drifter said:
But you know what really bugs me? Is that they’re all friends, every single one of the noisy people have somehow become buddies so fast that I suspect they hold private ‘let’s swear to become best friends’ tea parties while I’m at work. Despite trying to be a nice neighbour offering to shovel snow and pick up shopping during the winter I get treated like the bogeyman while they’ve all become the happy deafening community.

Isn't that how it always goes. I bet if you were making noise they'd all be on your doorstep barking at you to turn it down.

whocares said:
VanillaCreme said:

how do i do it legally?

Contacting your landlord for one. If they give you a hard time about it you can contact either a lawyer or if you have a landlord/tenant board in your community that helps with such things. Also it helps if you've documented things, like when you've had to notify your landlord about your previous complaints. Not many people do that, you never realize how important it is until you need something to stand behind.

EVERYTHING DEPENDS ON THE LEASE AGREEMENT.

Generally, I find that you can't easily break out of a lease... you'll usually have to honor the lease, and if you're allowed to move away, then you still might have to pay out the lease until it ends... even if you're not physically living there anymore.

Sucks, but that's the way it goes.

Yes, you can, if the lease states it.

Also, depending on your landlord. Some landlords are better than others at accepting lease agreements.

Latest posts

Back