Can I find real friends in this country?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm born and raised in America and never really met many friends. It's pretty hard once you reach a certain age, still to this day I try to look for good friends. I have people I talk too but only a few really know me deep down. Most people find me to be secretive and withdrawn but it's takes time for me to build up to people. It's hard finding true friends anywhere, hopefully this site can help you find some friends. Keep searching, don't give up! :)

North America in general is more multicultural than not. It is difficult to pin anything as 'American' or 'Canadian' in my case as there are so many minorities and in huge numbers. Myself Canadian born Chinese or CBC as I am called. I do understand your frustration as even for myself being fluent in English and barely knowing any Chinese lol I know a shame...it was difficult to socialize with people in university. I have a few close friends but I didn't meet any of them through university. I cannot stress the importance of extracurricular activities and hobbies as others have noted. I took up diving and have met a few friends that I dive with to this day and hang out on land. You already share common interests so it makes it easier then.

My advice would be to hook up with your local rotary club. Are you here on an I-94? I have some good friends of mine that are from the Czech Republic, Iceland, Norway, and the Netherlands. They say a lot of what you said, and even as an American (although probably more experienced in other cultures than most non-military, middle class americans), I can definitely see why you'd hold that opinion, and a lot of it is pretty true. Our culture tends to center around money, social status, and a lot of us are terrible at making friends, because we constantly look for an advantage. I hate it. On another note, welcome!

Latest posts

Back