Celebrity News/Gossip

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
The media goes out of their way to bring us the latest doings on celebrities. Apparently, there are people who absolutely eat that stuff up like candy. Otherwise, why would they keep reporting it?

So let me ask you all this...how many of you actually enjoy reading about celebrities - the good, the bad and the ugly? No one I know particularly cares about celebrities but obviously someone out there must.

So, do you follow celebrity news and gossip? If so, how come? What enjoyment do you get out of it? What appeals to you? What kind of news do you like to read about? What makes you care about it?

Please DO NOT turn this into a celebrity bashing thread. That is not what this thread is about and it's not to share the latest celebrity gossip so please don't. I am just curious about why people find celebrity gossip/news interesting and what they get out of it. If a certain snippet of celebrity news/gossip is pertinent to what you want to say about why you find it interesting or care, that's fine, but the news/gossip itself is definitely not the purpose of the thread.

Please keep this civil - I know some of my friends wouldn't which is why I'm bringing it up here and not with them. Thanks!

Because they would put down those who thought celebrity gossip was interesting and that is not what I wanted to talk about.

Some people really enjoy drama....dramas....dramatic movies...drama queens...dramedies..

It's always easier to watch someone else get the shaft especially when life is slightly boring and you don't have a private jet or party with charlie sheen.

I'll read it, sometimes its entertaining but I don't follow it or believe half the crap that gets reported. Especially when its on the cover of those rag mags. Most of the celeb stuff I read is on Sympatico.ca's entertainment page since it's my default home page.

Why Do We Yearn for Celebrity News? Why Can't We Get Enough Celebrity News?
Psychology Today Blog
Published October 29, 2010
By: Jay Winner, M.D.
"Why do people yearn for celebrity news? At least some of the hunger centers around SCHADENFREUDE: having joy from the suffering of others. People often act as if joy is dependent on achieving material gain. Seeing people that seem to "have it all" suffer (going through divorce, substance abuse, mental illness, etcetera), momentarily shatters that illusion. And then people can think, "Perhaps it's OK that I don't have my own television show, and own three yachts and four mansions."
READ MORE HERE

Latest posts

Back