Chinese proverb..

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IgnoredOne

Reaction score
生命有限, 学海无涯

The Chinese proverb above means, on a basic level, "life is limited, [but] learning is endless." This fascinates me, not only because I ascribe my life significantly by this adage, but also the construction of the overall meaning by the symbols used.

In a language that is as much drawn as it is sounded out, there is a great deal of visualization that is missed by the simple translation. And it is a beauty, like revelation, that I'm glad that I came to understand as I began to study the language.

The first part is essentially direct: Life has limit, with the symbol 限 indicating 'border' much akin to the borders of a nation or of an estate. Life is indicated to have a finite, limited quality.

But the second part is marvelously unique: " 学海" is not as much 'knowledge' as it is, 'sea of learning' for which is to be understood that knowledge is as vast and as deep as the ocean, from with it is without 'end' and 'without shore', as "无涯". This meaning, indeed, is further reinforced by the small 'droplets' implied over 学海 and 涯.

In the manner by which it is both a symbolic and visual metaphor, it reinforces its ultimate message - that in life so limited and with knowledge so vast, it behooves us to try to learn as quickly, and as much as possible while we yet can.

MadMonkè said:
i never understand these proverbs
how did you start learning?

Well, I speak Chinese natively, but Yellowbridge.com online offers an incredible resource to begin to explore from.

This is a beautiful metaphor.

I speak American Sign Language and sometimes it makes me stop and think about the meaning of words in English when i sign phrases differently in ASL.

Yellowbridge haha nice... aptly named... and thank you.

SophiaGrace, I wanted to learn sign language as well.. Its very expressive.. sometimes I think I could use it instead of speaking...
is there any recommended resources online that you can direct me to as well?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back