Christmas News letters?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whocares

Reaction score
Am i the only one who throws up a little bit in my mouth every time i read one of these things? I can understand maybe a paragraph about how you've been over the past year BUT a two page essay on every little thing your family has done over the past year is ridiculous.

christ almighty people.

There's a really funny Mitchell & Webb sketch on this very subject.

No one in my family writes them, well my cousins first husband's mother used to but I think she's finally stopped sending us cards now.

Families who are separated by distance and who are unable to have everyday conversation cherish a news letter.

Some people don't use computers to send emails, or use Skype or any form of instant messenger. They prefer snail mail, maybe for reasons they are technophobes, or just can't be doing with computers.

I have a friend in Canada who is 60-something. I always look forward to receiving her Christmas/Easter news letter the same as she does mine. I think it's nice, is old fashioned and quite harmless, really. Those who hate receiving such, all they have to do is politely ask not to be put on the mailing list.

I have never heard of a Christmas News Letter but there is a certain something, that tangible sense of excitement, upon receiving a physical object in the post rather than a cold, electronic e-mail. Not that I’m complaining about e-mails of course but a hand written letter can convey such a great number of emotions through what paper is used, the feel, the colour and even the smell, the style of writing and ink used or any personal customisation that has been added. As nice as the contents of an e-mail can be there is just that little something missing that letters possess.

Knowing that someone has taken the time to sit down and hand write a message, especially when e-mail is far more convenient, is a most heart warming feeling indeed.

I don't like them either. Although the writer is writing about their family the letters are impersonal, because they send the same letter to many people. And they do not ask how the recipient is and how his or her year has been, because of this. And the letters are usually so boastful.

Pretty much every one I get has the most puke inducing humour....I dont know what it is about writing these things that possesses people to make the stupidest jokes -____-

whocares said:
Tiina63 said:
And the letters are usually so boastful.

that's it exactly. a-lot of them are just a big show off.

Those are the ones I used to get as well.

Sometimes I think that if I was a better actor I'd try to pull a Cousin Eddie like stunt from the Chevy Chase "Vacation" movies- pull up in an ancient R.V., gift wrap a few of my used grooming supplies and work clothes for gifts, and generally be an annoying pain in the ass moaning about life until they pay me to go away.

Hmmm, wonder if it's on Netflix?

Latest posts

Back