Current generation questions.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noibe

Reaction score
Hey how is everyone doing today? I had a couple of questions on a few things I seem to be a bit confused about. I'm a very outgoing guu but I cant help to feel a disconnect from todays society and some things people do send shivers down my spine. Maybe its just a peeve?

So on YouTube now a days alot of videos main still image is usually a background with someone doing a stupid face and photoshopped comic text accompanied by an explosion or something Why is that? That annoys for some reason.

Also I've been noticing on YouTube the videos skip however they try to keep it continuous playback. Is that called Vine just pieced together? The said videos will also have the speaker visible but the rest is blurred out. Why is that? That also annoys me.

Alot of photographers/video editors it seems now a days and usually videos have a good looking girl and a guy in ultimate friendzone? What are those videos about

I understand fashion is ever changing but whats up with skinny jeans on men? Im a metrosexual European guy but I would never.

I dont know just things Ive been noticing that make very little sense to me. Can anybody elaborate?

The only constant in the world is perpetual change. Wait a few decades and you'll really find popular culture to be a bit confusing.

That stuff doesn't make sense to me. I teach, and my kids show me this stuff, and have no idea why they are so obsessed with whatever.

Strange how some things will annoy you and you don't know why but it gets on your nerves so much. This is not really a trend, but I HATE when I'm watching a youtube tutorial for make up or hair etc and the ***** goes on about stupid honeysuckle for like 5 mins before getting to the point. "Oh hey guys, sorry about the lighting, the sun is going behind clouds, sorry about my ugly wall. Hey here's my cat smoopie. Hey smoopieupikins, say hi to my fans..." blah blah blah stfu

I hate trendy words. I'm so out of the loop I've had to Google what things mean like "on fleek". Haha and when people started using bae I googled that too.

lonelypanda said:
Strange how some things will annoy you and you don't know why but it gets on your nerves so much. This is not really a trend, but I HATE when I'm watching a youtube tutorial for make up or hair etc and the ***** goes on about stupid honeysuckle for like 5 mins before getting to the point. "Oh hey guys, sorry about the lighting, the sun is going behind clouds, sorry about my ugly wall. Hey here's my cat smoopie. Hey smoopieupikins, say hi to my fans..." blah blah blah stfu

I hate trendy words. I'm so out of the loop I've had to Google what things mean like "on fleek". Haha and when people started using bae I googled that too.

Here's something millenials use that annoys a millenial like me: when they overuse the word "like". Never have a drinking contest for every time they say like. "Like, omg did you hear like about blah blah blah like for real like totally".

Oh, and every time the word "hack" gets misused. Shortcuts aren't "hacks". Stupid hipsters. :/

lonelypanda said:

Haha. I hear you on this. I make it a point NOT to use these trendy words, words that come from memes or elsewhere on the Internet. It makes me cringe to hear them spoken. I don't want to use those words because they sound stupid. They sound like the kind of words that Internet jerks would use (not that everyone on the Internet is a jerk - I just specifically mean, the group of people online who are also jerks). I also really don't like the whole thing where people misspell words on purpose. It's another thing I see on the Internet a lot, which makes the user seem like a total buffoon.

I intentionally try to avoid finding out what they mean also. Please don't tell me what "on fleek" means. I really don't want to know haha

The only word I use from modern times is YOLO, and I only use it jokingly. I like "homeslice" too, and occasionally "home skillet". I think those have been around a while though. I remember my high school physics teacher using "homeslice" and that was over 10 years ago.

By the way lonelypanda, your signature makes me laugh :D

TheSkaFish said:
Haha. I hear you on this. I make it a point NOT to use these trendy words, words that come from memes or elsewhere on the Internet. It makes me cringe to hear them spoken. I don't want to use those words because they sound stupid. They sound like the kind of words that Internet jerks would use (not that everyone on the Internet is a jerk - I just specifically mean, the group of people online who are also jerks). I also really don't like the whole thing where people misspell words on purpose. It's another thing I see on the Internet a lot, which makes the user seem like a total buffoon.

I intentionally try to avoid finding out what they mean also. Please don't tell me what "on fleek" means. I really don't want to know haha

The only word I use from modern times is YOLO, and I only use it jokingly. I like "homeslice" too, and occasionally "home skillet". I think those have been around a while though. I remember my high school physics teacher using "homeslice" and that was over 10 years ago.

By the way lonelypanda, your signature makes me laugh :D

I am so tempted to tell you what on fleek means mwahaha but ill spare you this time :D

I get too curious, im a very curious panda. I just have to know. Another one is that "bye Felicia" trend.  I've watched the movie friday, but it was so long ago I never connected those dots. Makes me wonder how that started to trend out of nowhere. It's sad I have to Google these things, I'm not even that old.

I always use the term "baby daddy" jokingly. :D facking maury and all his baby daddy episodes. Haha

I haven't heard home slice in a long time, I have my own words and phrases and manurisms. Im guilty of stealing lots of phrases from movies and TV shows though.

niceguysfinishlast said:
Here's something millenials use that annoys a millenial like me: when they overuse the word "like". Never have a drinking contest for every time they say like. "Like, omg did you hear like about blah blah blah like for real like totally".

Oh, and every time the word "hack" gets misused. Shortcuts aren't "hacks". Stupid hipsters. :/

For some reason I was picturing Cher from the movie clueless while reading that. Heehee I've only ever heard people overuse like on TV, and then I change the channel.

lonelypanda said:
I am so tempted to tell you what on fleek means mwahaha but ill spare you this time :D

I get too curious, im a very curious panda. I just have to know. Another one is that "bye Felicia" trend.  I've watched the movie friday, but it was so long ago I never connected those dots. Makes me wonder how that started to trend out of nowhere. It's sad I have to Google these things, I'm not even that old.

I haven't heard home slice in a long time, I have my own words and phrases and manurisms. Im guilty of stealing lots of phrases from movies and TV shows though.

I'm curious too. But I feel that if I want to keep my head as clutter-free as possible, then I should avoid taking in certain types of "junk food" information, you know? For example, I might be wanting to learn a new skill or something, but the definition of "on fleek" or memes or lyrics to songs I don't even like but looked up just so I knew, or other things like that will be taking up space in my mind, cluttering it up, adding to my confusion.

So yeah. Thanks for sparing me - HOMESLICE! :D

Like others here, I'm behind the times (which in my fancy way of talking I tend to say as "I'm an atavism"). But I enjoy being the way I am.

YouTube has been left behind a bit as an outlet for creative people, so I don't pay much attention to it. Sometimes I'll listen to an old song YouTube has that others don't (but Spotify often has songs YouTube doesn't) but that's about it. For real videos Vimeo and Dailymotion are much better.

I'm probably one of the oldest members here so I'm really out of the trendy word loop and I have to google things too, like bae. Now that's information that I regard as truly non-critical, almost irrelevant except in terms of keeping one's finger on the pulse of the coming generation....so to speak.

Also I try to post (and speak) in complete sentences with at least an approximation of correct grammar as I learned it in the 1960's. I try to spell corectly to. And I make an effort to avoid mixed metaphors....they're a complete pain in the neck so I just toss them right in the rubbish bin. It's also a good idea to not use foreign words, always look for an English quid pro quo. And for heaven's sake stay away from hyperbole.....not one person in a billion can handle them!

I'm 24 and I'm with you on the font and presentation of a lot of trendy youtube videos.

I also HATE music gear demos on youtube when the person spends 90% or more of the time talking about the gear in question and you hardly get to hear the actual equipment at all. No idea why people do it that way.

I'm glad I am not the only one and I can only imagine the trends that are coming our way in the future. There are plenty more that I find just plain sad and non survival for some individuals but perhaps with time I will learn to tame these feelings.

Latest posts

Back