Do americans think British are cool?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chasm said:
i dnt really care 4 a british accnt
no offense of course

But do you mean the upper class British accent that gets portrayed in Hollywood movies, or those really dodgy cockney that's been living in LA for 10 years accents? Like Hugh Grant or Spike from Buffy.

This comedian lives near me, here he is speaking about accents:

cumulus.james said:
I was thinking about this. If one of you American chappies came and lived in my town your accent would be enough to attract people to you. This does not work for all foreigners (it is the opposite if their skin is at all dark) but people would find you cool because of your accent.

If I went to Sacramento or whatever would they think that of me?

Yes, I would think you are cool. I work with a cool British Shaman and he's a good guy. Charmed. Your culture has a nice way about you. Of the people (non-gov't) who actually habitate all of England, you have this righteousness that is wonderful. There's a certain Strength you have that is admired. You would attract people to you also.

I think, the American people that I like (not our government which a lot of people hate our country for), the ones that actually make America great for a lot of it's freedom (the original intent of our fore father's) has an attraction that a lot of people like. That's what our country was suppose to built on. I long for the day when things between countries become freer again. All countries. I like England, I wanted to move there a few years ago. I've talked to quite a few wonderful people over their. I had a friend who was there for 6 months during an internship 20 years ago and loved it. On New Year's last year we watched London's light show. It was spectacular. As far as the U.S. I'm a big fan of NY and the city since I spent a lot of time there in my earlier years. There was a lot to do there. Neat city. Lots and lots of culture there. Never a dull moment. That city amazes me.

cumulus.james said:
Hoffy said:

hes an ******* we hate him over here. He is very middle class and generic. He is also very odd in that he has been offered various TV projects and cant be bothered with them. I think he is going to regret that.

I kinda liked him a bit once but he gets on my nerves now. The problem I have with Charlie and his mate Alex is that they are in their 20's now but still act like they are 14. I think they are actually lovers they live in Camden town together and stuff.

I wouldn't say we hate him - I wasn't aware of him till now, so I don't think he has that much of a mainstream media presence.

I've watched his latest video (My Crib 3) and I think he tries too hard for me - I prefer my comedy deadpan and understated, and that's definitely not his style.

Chasm said:
i dnt really care 4 a british accnt
no offense of course

That is Billy Idol in your signature isn't it? Presumably you listen to him sing sometimes?

annik said:
When I was in Canada people went all "Ooh you're British" every time I said anything and for some reason wanted to tell me how they'd traced their family back to some castle in Scotland...er.

I'd quite like to be considered the representative of an entire nation among a group of friends.

I support a relatively small football club, and the last time the team was doing pretty well, I was studying away from the town. After a good result I'd sometimes get congratulated as if I'd personally achieved the win, it was pretty fun.

Latest posts

Back