Do you ever feel like if you say or do something, it'll come off as creepy?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VanillaCreme said:
No, because I'm not a creepy person.

Now, you want to get in my van? I got some popsicles.

Hmmm, Popsicles you say. . . well, okay then. :)

kaetic said:
VanillaCreme said:
No, because I'm not a creepy person.

Now, you want to get in my van? I got some popsicles.

Hmmm, Popsicles you say. . . well, okay then. :)

I might get in, depends on what flavor your popsicles are (if they're Sprite I won't be able to resist) and whether you have a lava lamp in your van. Lava lamps are awesome.

Women aren't really attracted to me, so I pretty much keep my mouth shut for fear of them thinking it's an unwanted advance or being a creeper.

Yes, I feel this way, all of the time.

Sometimes I feel like I do come off as creepy, but I can't help it. Other people tell me that it's irrational to think that, but I still do.

Poguesy prefers the label weirdo, although that i am clearly not.

I thinks so...

I can understand, SophiaGrace. I feel the same way. That's why I never try talking to anyone in person. Online, it's almost the same, but I'm mostly anxious about being judged and rejected by my peers as being an idiot for my dialogue and sense of humour. Hence, I often remain silent here also.

YES. All the time. Because in our society every person is so **** quick to judge you it seems like.

But as long as you aren't hitting on random guys on facebook or anything I'm sure no one is calling you a creep.

But if they are, then screw them. People who thrive off making fun of others have serious self-esteem issues so rather than being upset by it, be happy that you are a normal, kind and happy person! And never get on their level:) Hope I helped, a little!

I had an experience like this not so long ago. On New Year's Eve I was at a friend's and there was a nice elderly lady there too and we talked quite a lot and got on well. It turned out that she lived near me, so I gave her my phone number and asked her to call for a coffee one day. She seemed keen on the idea. Anyway, she didn't get in touch and then, a month or so ago, I saw her downtown. When she saw me, she looked at me as if I was some sort of freak, then quickly looked away and completely ignored me. I still wonder from time to time why.

I don't worry about being creepy, but a weirdo, if that makes sense. I'm very open and outgoing when it comes to general interactions, and where I come from it's normal (and considered a good trait) to smile and say hello, make a bit of small talk when out and about, and not take oneself too seriously - or at least not swan about and be obvious about it. Also: not passive aggressive.

But where I am now, a lot of people consider that weird, or at least laughable. So I've become pretty self-conscious about my natural inclination and how it will be received. Which is often not well received at all. I'm not talking about assailing random strangers with a huge sloppy grin, I'm talking about stuff like:
Would you like to go ahead of me in line? (when they've got maybe one item and I've got a crap load)
What a cute dog.
Good morning. (passing someone in my own neighborhood)
Or a just a small, self-effacing joke when I've done something goofy like present the ticket-taker with a snacks receipt instead of my ticket.

Of course there are people around here who are exceptions to the rule, and they make me feel better, but the key word is exceptions.

I find myself withdrawing now. I come alive when I'm back east in or up north. Kinda sad, really.

Tiina - I'd say that old lady was the creepy one, based on her reaction. Wtf?

Well, I recognize that I'm not creepy. I met with a friend today, and had a fun time.

That being said, I am a big geek, who sometimes says stupid things that kill the conversation. It's more social awkwardness than creepiness.

Latest posts

Back