Does TV and film influence our expectations of relationships?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spuzzwink

Reaction score
Article [telegraph.co.uk]

I think the entertainment industry informs our perspective on life in general to a degree, but to what extent do we expect real life to replicate the fairy-tale endings? I know I dream about bumping into the perfect girl in a library or something (maybe reaching for the same copy of a Carl Sagan book :D) but I know it's just a dream.
What do you guys think?

I think the dream we see in movies is possible. It can happen....I mean real true love in friendships and relationships. But it is less frequent than in movies...it is quite rare. And it is more raw. Real love comes with some unpleasant stuff. That is life.
I know it is real though...I have experienced it, through friendship. A very wonderful love and acceptance. In fact it was better than what is portrayed in film...because it was more real.

We are more likely to judge our relationships by those we see around us than by whether our partner measures up to some filmic Mr Darcy. My husband is more terrified of my spending three hours in a bar with my best friend, combing through the minutiae of our relationship, than he would be of my viewing Sliding Doors.

That quote is from the article, and I agree with it very much lol.

well i'd like to thing horror movie relationship arn't going to turn into my future relationship's else i gotta find out how to kill jason voohees @_@

but aside from a immortal machete-wielding serial killer...aye i'd like to think they do influence them.

Same. I've had similar dreams, but it's been awhile since I have. I think they do tend to effect our expectations, especially if you don't have much of a social life. It's really interesting.....

Yes to a large extent they do tend to effect our relationships as we keep on expecting things. We keep expecting and the other one does not even know what and how much are we expecting from him/her.

I definitely think TV and film influence our expectations of relationships. I think books (for those of us who enjoy reading) also influence our expectations. I love to read anything but I really love Nicholas Spark's novels and some of his books are just perfect romances to me. To have a love like The Notebook or Dear John is just something I wish I could have in my life. In a way I think that these influences can give us hope or devastate us when our life just doesn't turn out the same.

Even though this thread is years old, I suppose I could answer. And I would say no. Unless you already have some unrealistic thoughts about relationships in the first place. Nothing should influence how you feel for someone.

spuzzwink said:

I think the entertainment industry informs our perspective on life in general to a degree, but to what extent do we expect real life to replicate the fairy-tale endings? I know I dream about bumping into the perfect girl in a library or something (maybe reaching for the same copy of a Carl Sagan book :D) but I know it's just a dream.
What do you guys think?

Im with you on the reaching for the same carl sagan book bro

spuzzwink said:

What do you guys think?

Well I never turn on my TV unless I've got video on my iPhone I want to watch on it. At this point in my life I don't expect to magically stumble onto the love of my life, and I am quite sure that I'll spend the rest of my life single, and not have another relationship.

Hollywood comes up with some pretty great stories, but that's all they are, fiction.

I believe that TV and movies can influence a person's expectations of how relationships work (besides that, it's a given that real life and scripted entertainment are two different things). It depends on the individual, though, as to whether it actually affects them or not.

I hardly really watch movies, but, personally, in my more-or-less younger years (think 10~14), I saw a few romantic films (animated and not) which filled me up with this indescribable, swelling enchantment that came with the thought, "Hey, ... some day I'm going to meet my lover (insert place/means here) and it's going to play out just like so-and-so..."

Well, with both some experience as well as just rethinking things, I began to become more open to the fact that what happened on the big screen was scarcely the case in the real world.

But like I said I don't watch movies much so I'm unaware if there's actually been something made that gives a more realistic impression of relationships. :p

Disney needs to stop making films that build up children's expectations.

If my life was like a Disney film, I wouldn't complain!

Latest posts

Back