Dog ownership law.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric

Reaction score
Just a question for any of you who live in the US. Let me explain my situation. About a year ago, a woman who I lived together with 3 years prior, finally decided to lease a house together. She had bought a dog named Eddy a year prior to us moving here. To make a long story short, as soon as we moved in here, her 22yo son, always in trouble with the law, living off his mom and dad for 6 years now, homeless and likes it that way, came out one night in March 2008 drunk and made threats to kill her and I. He was arrested and a restraining order put on him. To keep 200 yards away from me and from her. So he could never come here which is good for me. But mommy(my ex room mate) couldn't live with out his constant trouble with the law and screaming and sponging off her(and sleeping on her sofa). So she packed up and left mid-way thru the lease. She gave me Eddy the dog out of guilt for leaving me all alone. She continued to pay her rent but renigged on a verbal contract to pay half the utilities. I don't have the phone conversation recorded in which she told me Eddy was mine. Tonight, she was planning on spending the night, then having trucks come get her massive quantities of junk/furnuture out in the morning. I've been trying to get her to clear her stuff out for months to no avail, as I can't clean this place and make it ready to vacate in April. We got into a heated arguement and she left threatening to take Eddy my dog. I told her if I came back on a morning after my night shift job and he was gone, I'd call the police. The only proof I have that Eddy was a gift is that he has been alone with me for months, a few vet bills, and a neighbor who has seen me live alone with Eddy for months. If I find him missing one day, what are my rights in getting him back? I must now turn my attention to getting out of here(with no help) on April 1. If I can get to my new apt. by April 1, I will be the only one with a key to the door. Since the lease is still under both our names, I feel if I change the lock, she might drag legalities into this. What a trap has been set for me. Do I legally own the dog? Thanks,
Eric

I'm not too sure. Maybe if you had all his papers, and stuff and whatnot, a judge would see to it that you keep the dog. Seeing how she did just up and leave, not paying what she should mind you, and most judges usually see it as someone abandoning the dog. But since it's only been a few months, and not an extremely long period of time, she might pull the, "I was coming right back for the dog. I only had to get situated where I was moving to." stunt.

But, I hope it works out for you.

I think I'm cool now. I talked to my neighbor who has talked with my ex-room mate, and revealed she did tell her that she "gave him(that's me) Eddy". So I have a credible witness. In gratitude I burned her a Bob Marley CD.

Latest posts

Back