Don't Know What To Do With My Life

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cryingcloud

Reaction score
I'm 4 months shy of turning 20, currently enrolled in a college as an art major...but the thing is.... I SUCK at it. I always liked drawing growing up as something to pass time, or just because I was in the mood. I always had to work for hours and hours on one drawing that probably should have taken half the time. Truth is--I was never good at it. Granted-My friends and family were always praising me, but being real with myself, my drawings are a joke. Give and take a few; I can't judge proportions to save my life, my shading's always off, and it sometimes can pass for a 10 year old's work. I chose to be an art major because, naturally, people advise you to choose a career that'll make you happy, or base it off of a talent. I used to think I wanted to be a teacher for young children, but that was also a bust. I volunteered and worked with kids for a few years and hated it, (about 70% of the time) but art isn't much better, it doesn't make me happy, in fact, it's quite the opposite. It stresses me out to the point of such frustration, I cry and brake all my pencils. Being in a classroom full of naturally talented artists makes it even worse. I'm starting to think that art isn't exactly for me. The only other interest I have is writing; stories or opinions, anything creative, something from my own thoughts, but what realistic career comes out of that? With art, I intended to be a graphic designer, I thought that was the most reliable rout to take, plus the fact that I do enjoy working on computers. I always had this dream of taking a story that I have written and pitching it for an animation plot...but it's a dream, and I need something that can be sturdy enough to be able to support myself. (before thinking about pitching an animation) I really don't know what to do with my life. Everything I enjoy doing has never come naturally, I always have had to put triple the hours into every project. I just want a talent, a natural talent, something to grow with and improve, and not start from scratch. I hope you understand this. I'm at a point where I'm really lost and confused, and it feels time-crunching because I don't want to spend useless hours in classes that won't benefit me.

If it's worth of something, not everyone knows what to do with their life mate :p
Why don't you drop out of college and look for other ones then? I think you made a mistake when you first chose that path. One thing I always advise my friends is whenever you're trying to pick a career just be sure you won't regret it a few months from now that's all you needed to do: pick a career even if it's something your family or even yourself dislike but don't regret that call. Good luck

It's good that you went ahead and tried these things as you know now it isn't what you really want. You wouldn't have known unless you tried. :) Maybe you could research different careers and see what interests you. Maybe even see what it's like on a day to day basis with certain careers from people who have done it.

Well... There are 2 ways of looking at this situation... First, it's called school for a reason... You go to it to learn something... Or enhance what you already know... You can take this opportunity to get better at what you do... Don't worry about other students in the class... If drawing is what you feel passionate about, it's a good thing that you went to school for it... Professors, & possibly other fellow students, are there to help you get better... Take this chance to get better at it... Or, second, if you feel that strongly about the fact that "art major" isn't for you, you can think of it as "better now then later" & change your mind about your major... You mentioned creative writing... There are many opportunities in that field as well... Newspaper being one of them... You can start out with editorial section for one... Or you can get a job in a publishing company... You can work with a novelist... Proof reading & making suggestions on different sections of the writing... Or you could look into local tv stations... Almost like public stations... You could work on story line that they can make it into short movies... You mentioned something about teaching... Writing for children's book doesn't sound too bad...

Ideas are out there... Depends on how much of effort & work you're willing to put into it, just like anything else, you can make a decent living out of it...

I am thankful my art teacher was really hard on us. Because if we sucked (which I do) we knew it, and knew that that wasn't an option. Depending on what part of the world you are from, you can change majors (I did it...). And if you can, I suggest you go into a general studies program and feel around other interests. If you think creative writing is your thing, take a class on it. You have core classes you have to do anyways, just get those done and over with.

I am out of college, and am actually doing what I went to school for, and I still don't know what I want to do with my life. It's okay, it's completely normal. :)

I feel a lot of the same way. But honestly, raw talent is overrated. For example, I first got the idea that I wanted to play guitar at around 20 or 21. But almost immediately, I got hung up on the idea of "it's too late" or "I don't have raw talent" so I had many false starts. Looking back, if I had just stopped listening to my fears and kept playing, I'd have 6 years under my belt now. If you continue to work hard, you will get better. I used to draw as a kid too, then I stopped for a while because like you, I was intimidated by the kids who were really good. I thought they were just born that way - it didn't even cross my mind that they probably drew for hours at home, or maybe took lessons outside of school, or were somehow practicing. Recently, I started to teach myself to draw again. I'm not great but I can already see myself getting better. Who knows where I'll be if I keep on doing a couple drawings a day? If you want to do it, you should just practice more. Talk to some of those artists in your class and ask how they got to be where they are at. They might be happy to help you. I know a handful of good artists that were pleased to give me pointers.

Keep drawing if you want - Rome wasn't built in a day, but if you stick with it you are guaranteed to get better.

In the UK they run an ad every year .. A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.

To paraphrase this, Art is for life, not just for college. I love art, always have. I have a little natural talent but I am no Da Vinci. I studied O and A level art at school (basically from age 14 to 16 and 16 to 18) and there were a couple of people I knew whose nature talent was outstanding. Although I wanted to go to art college it wasn't an option for me and my career took a different path.

But you know .. After all the years of school, and everything I ever studied, the thing that remains with me is the art. Not so much just the doing of it, but the way it makes you really LOOK at things, really take on board what you see and how you see it. Also how to see painting and drawings in galleries and museum s.

I went back to it as a hobby after years of not. I am still learning how to paint in oils, it takes me ages to do it and get it right but I find it one of the most absorbing and gratifying things to do.

If you are expecting to produce a masterpiece evert time you put brush\charcoal or pencil to support, then you are being foolish. You have to practice, you have to keep on.

I don't know why it is that people expect to be able to paint or draw in the snap of a finger. Would you expect to play a Rachmaninoff concerto after a couple of piano lessons? Of course not. So take that view with art.

I recommend `Drawing on the right side of the brain' if you haven't ever come across it. A great book for opening your intuitive and artistic mind.

Latest posts

Back