Embarrassing Problem

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ak5

Reaction score
I've been holding this in for a while, and I just need to talk about it. It's something that I am really embarrassed to discuss, I feel like an idiot, and I would really appreciate the help.

To get to the point: I don't like music. Not that I don't like it, per say, but I don't have any kind of favorite bands or anything. Ask me about what type of music I like, and I'll blank out. Really, I don't know why. Feels like I'm the only person on the planet who is like this, lol. I do like one or two songs, but that's it; I want to open up to new types of music.

I know jack honeysuckle about music, but I want to change. Recommendation of popular music and bands would be appreciated. ;)

lol At first I tought it was some health problem or something 'sexual'...

Ok, first, what kind of music do you like?

Going to shows might get you more interested.

Also there are online radios when you can check out music for free, like last.fm or grooveshark

Online radio, as the above poster suggested, would be a good idea. (I have never used them, so can't recomend any sites, but the idea sounds good.) Also, try out many different kinds of music, classical, pop, rock etc. I tend to like a whole variety of songs/singers/composers without having any favourites. Maybe your friends could give you some recomendations as well.

I don't really like music either. I cannot stand people singing, especially that Witney Huston type honeysuckle.

I wouldn't worry about it, certainly not to try and impress others with what bands you are listening to you've always struck me as too much of an individual to worry about conforming like that, plus what most peole listen to tends to be rubbish anyway! personally I tend to cherry pick the best out of any genre so I like mainly alternative but I have a fair bit of Jazz, Hip Hop, Country, Drum and Base whatever it might be, you'll get drawn to one style in particular, but its good to have a listen around, theres good to be found in any scene and a bit of variety is best!

There is a song by the Shins - Young Pilgrims, I have no idea why but when its playing on my Ipod I always associate it with you (sorry that might sound a bit weird!) I think its because its about being young and knowing life can be tough but not letting it get you down and keeping your head up, you should take a listen plus I think the Shins are pretty cool if thats what you're looking for! Theres a scene in Garden State where Natalie Portman is listening to them and lets Zach whats his name from scrubs have a listen saying "this band will change your life".. so maybe they will!

The Shins Young Pilgrims Lyrics

A cold and wet November dawn
And there are no barking sparrows
Just emptiness to dwell upon.

I fell into a winter slide
And ended up the kind of kid who goes down chutes too narrow
Just eking out my measly pipe.

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know there is this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea.

Another slow train to the coast
Some brand new gory art from way on high
I sink and then I swim all night.

I watch the ice melt on the glass
While the eloquent young pilgrims pass
And leave behind their trail
Imploring us not to fail.

Of course I was raised to gather courage from those
Lofty tales so tried and true and
If you're able I'd suggest it 'cause this
Modern thought can get the best of you.

This rather simple epitaph
can save your hide your falling mind
Fate isn't what we're up against
There's no design your flaws are fine. *

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea.

* I love those 4 lines, it should be a mantra for here!

Try the beatles, or classical musical (start with mozart or something and then go on from there). But really just try and explore music and you'll find something you like. For example you cxcan use the realted videos on youtube. : )

I would take the one or two songs that you do like and explore that genre first. There must be something you like about it and you should be able to find similar.
Listen to everything, from every genre, though, don't limit yourself to just one type. Personally, I listen to every type, I like every type (some more, some less than others, of course). The online radio would be a good start, they have a wide variety of categories. Also, you could spend some time in the "what are you listening to" thread on here, also a very diverse selection.

Ak, there's nothing at all wrong with not being interested in music.
If you want to change your preferences, start with exploring some other genres: country, jazz, smooth jazz, pop, teen pop, latin, rap, R&B, soul, motown, classical, opera, bluegrass, brazilian, harmonica, folk, swing, oldies, doo wop, grunge, industrial, metal, rock, alternative, bandstand, celtic, hymns, gregorian chants.
There are soooo many types of music out there so check them all out.
Can it be any type of music or do you want to get into the more popular types?

What you could do is take every single genre roguewave just typed out there and type it into youtube and listen to the first few results that come up to see if they grab you.

And if you do like a particular one, have a look on wikipedia to see what sub-genres it has, and explore some of them. For example metal has subgenres that include black metal, death metal, doom metal, hair metal, classic metal, thrash metal, etc. etc. etc. It's worth exploring this I think, because music has a lot to offer you.

Also once you do find a genre, may I suggest trying to learn an associated instrument? Once you do that I find it opens up new dimensions in music because you can appreciate it on a whole different level, that of someone who can actually play it!

Pandora has that music genome project thing. You plug in a song or artist or whatever and it gives you other songs with similar styles. I am very picky about my music and may like one song but not like the entire album of a band, or even not like the band at all (except for the one song). The music genome thing was pretty accurate in its guesses for my musical taste, though.

Latest posts

Back